• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Piccadilly line at Turnham Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'm going to the airport and, starting from Brondesbury I tried to go Gunnersbury and Turnham Green for the Piccadilly. However, when I got off at Turnham Green I got confused. I saw no sign of Piccadilly and the board at the Piccadilly platform all showed Not In Service.

I didn't know what to do at that moment and jumped back onto the original train, but seeing no Piccadilly station eastward I thought I did something wrong, got off the train at the next station and returned westbound on the District and head to Acton Town for the Piccadilly.

I then checked a few maps, all showing a stop at Turnham Green for the Piccadilly.

What happened there? Why are there no Piccadilly stopping despite on the Tube map?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
The Piccadilly line only stops in the very early morning and late evening, as well as very occassionally during disruption to the District Line.

duncanp

Established Member
Piccadilly Line trains only stop at Turnham Green early in the morning (before about 06:45) and late at night (after about 22:45)

At all other times they run through the station without stopping.

To do the journey you were wanting to do, you could get a District Line train from Gunnersbury to Turnham Green, then a Westbound District Line train to Acton Town from where you can get the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow.

The other option from Brondesbury would be to take a Clapham Junction train as far as West Brompton, then the District Line to Earls Court, and then the Piccadilly Line.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm going to the airport and, starting from Brondesbury I tried to go Gunnersbury and Turnham Green for the Piccadilly. However, when I got off at Turnham Green I got confused. I saw no sign of Piccadilly and the board at the Piccadilly platform all showed Not In Service.

I didn't know what to do at that moment and jumped back onto the original train, but seeing no Piccadilly station eastward I thought I did something wrong, got off the train at the next station and returned westbound on the District and head to Acton Town for the Piccadilly.

I then checked a few maps, all showing a stop at Turnham Green for the Piccadilly.

What happened there? Why are there no Piccadilly stopping despite on the Tube map?
The red dagger symbol alongside a station name, eg at Turnham Green, is the main indication of a limited service.

miklcct

On Moderation
The other option from Brondesbury would be to take a Clapham Junction train as far as West Brompton, then the District Line to Earls Court, and then the Piccadilly Line.
I also planned this route as well but the Clapham Junction train went through my station without stopping, so I took the following Richmond train.

Mawkie

Piccadilly Line trains only stop at Turnham Green early in the morning (before about 06:45) and late at night (after about 22:45)
And they are highlighted in the Working Timetable with "PT" if anyone is very keen!

miklcct

On Moderation
The red dagger symbol alongside a station name, eg at Turnham Green, is the main indication of a limited service.
It doesn't appear on the newest version of the official rail and tube map (the map showing all rail services in the contactless area) though.

bcarmicle

It doesn't appear on the newest version of the official rail and tube map (the map showing all rail services in the contactless area) though.
That's unideal, especially given on the Tube map it's just a generic red dagger so it's not as if it would need lots of explanatory text.

It does say:
The map does not necessarily show service patterns or guarantee direct trains between the stations shown and some peak only or limited services are omitted.
the first part of which would just about cover Turnham Green, but the portion I've bolded strongly suggests that to be consistent Turnham Green shouldn't be shown as a Piccadilly line stop in the first instance.

I've checked a few Tube and Rail maps from the past several years and none of them give a dagger to Turnham Green.

(Speaking of map errors, the latest Night Tube map does not shown Kennington as Zone 1/2...)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That's unideal, especially given on the Tube map it's just a generic red dagger so it's not as if it would need lots of explanatory text.

It does say:

the first part of which would just about cover Turnham Green, but the portion I've bolded strongly suggests that to be consistent Turnham Green shouldn't be shown as a Piccadilly line stop in the first instance.

I've checked a few Tube and Rail maps from the past several years and none of them give a dagger to Turnham Green.

(Speaking of map errors, the latest Night Tube map does not shown Kennington as Zone 1/2...)
There should be a specific symbol for Turnham Green with an explanation. It's a simple case of slipping standards.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
There should be a specific symbol for Turnham Green with an explanation. It's a simple case of slipping standards.
Does it need to be shown as stopping at all? The direct service from Rickmansworth to Watford is not shown on any map, neither is the Overground service to Battersea Park.

As there used to be, if I remember rightly.

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube and https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf have the dagger symbol indicating 'services or access at these stations are subject to variation', so you know you need to check, but it just refers you to the journey planner to do so, which is no use for finding the general pattern. A page outlining all limited services would be much more useful if they can't have a specific symbol for each.

d70g

Why do Piccadilly Line trains only stop at Turnham Green early morning / late at night? Does the District start later and end earlier?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

LU_timetabler

It has been arranged the way it is arranged for very early and very late Piccadilly trains to call at Turnham Green for many years. The dagger indicating limited stop is definitely shown on the current standard Tube map, I checked the TfL website.
Long-term future plans are for the Piccadilly Line to take-over from the District services into Ealing Broadway. The District services to Richmond would then be increased. When this happens the Piccadilly Line trains would for Ealing Broadway, and probably Rayners Lane/Uxbridge as well would call there. There will be some track re-build in the area soon anyway as sidings for some of the District Line trains displaced from the closure of Lillie Bridge Sidings will be accomodated in the Turnham Green / Chiswick Park area.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the current timetable it doesn't look all that frequent now.
Current frequencies are broadly adequate for the customer numbers. Off peak is a service every 10 Min to Rayners Lane with half of those (so every 20 Min continuing to Uxbridge), at peak times it is every 5 Min to Rayners Lane with half (every 10 Min) to Uxbridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.