• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Piccadilly Line - Rayners Lane <-> Uxbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ah-media

Just checking the TfL status and the Picc is part suspended between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge due to "difficult track conditions", yet the Met is quite happily going along the very same stretch of track.

This is nothing new I appreciate ... I guessed what the reason was when I saw it.

Couple of questions:

1) Why is this an issue only on the current stock?
2) Will the 2024 stock solve this problem?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
Happens most autumns, special timetable introduced with speed restrictions implemented in open sections to try and mitigate the serious problems of wheel flats experienced a few years ago.

S Stock do deal with slippery rails better than the rather analogue and rudimentary ’73 Stock wheelslip relay.

notverydeep

Happens most autumns, special timetable introduced with speed restrictions implemented in open sections to try and mitigate the serious problems of wheel flats experienced a few years ago.

S Stock do deal with slippery rails better than the rather analogue and rudimentary ’73 Stock wheelslip relay.

Across the open sections of the Piccadilly line there are speed restrictions and an amended timetable that allows longer run times to accommodate these. However across the Rayners Lane to Uxbridge section S Stock with sanding equipment do not require a restriction (and the section is also treated by a Rail Adhesion Train) so to avoid Piccadilly line trains impeding Metropolitan line trains, all trains travel at normal speed on this section. This is insufficient mitigation against flatted wheels for 1973 stock on the very worst days (or more often part days), which are categorised as 'black' adhesion conditions and at these times the plan is to curtail the Piccadilly service at Rayners Lane. Unsurprisingly, Storm Ciarán led to the first of these for this leaf fall season yesterday. This occurs between four to six times across a typical Autumn.

waterboo

I recall a few years ago when Piccadilly line services were cancelled en masse due to several trains sustaining wheel flats during low adhesion conditions. The cancellations sustained over several weeks - and perhaps LUL are safeguarding over such occurrences happening again

xtmw

I recall a few years ago when Piccadilly line services were cancelled en masse due to several trains sustaining wheel flats during low adhesion conditions. The cancellations sustained over several weeks - and perhaps LUL are safeguarding over such occurrences happening again
There was a BBC video covering this.

TrainGeekUK

It’s been out of action today as well…

Piccadilly Line: No service between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge due to difficult track conditions caused by significant leaf fall. Customers are to use Metropolitan line services between Rayners Lane & Uxbridge. GOOD SERVICE on the rest of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.