• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Picking up Tickets from Fast Ticket Machine at Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked Tickets to online to pick them up from The fast ticket Machine at Manchester Station and wanted to know can I pick them up from any station or does it have to be at the station you put down when tickets are booked?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has to be the station put down, will not work at any other.
What´s your source for this? That is incorrect advice.

In answer to the OP: tickets can be collected using any machine that is linked to the FastTicket database. Note that some ticket machines - particularly in the South East area - are not connected to this system. But there is a huge number of places where they can be collected and the list is growing all the time.

Any station that has a link to that system can also print them out at the station if you do not have your credit card. They will, however, ask for your name and (IIRC) the first line of your address.

SuperVoyager

Don't know if i read it correct but what i meant was..
You can book tickets from manchester, but choose to pick them up an Penzance. but my thought was that you could only pick them up from the station that you choose.

Although someone is probably going to give me a lectur on checking the facts before i post now.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't know if i read it correct but what i meant was..
You can book tickets from manchester, but choose to pick them up an Penzance.
correct
but my thought was that you could only pick them up from the station that you choose.
which isn´t the case, my advice would be...
Although someone is probably going to give me a lectur on checking the facts before i post now.
... yes, to check the facts first. If you do not want to check the facts it is probably best not to post, but if you feel you have something useful to add without checking then it would be OK to post something like:-

´I´ve not checked, but I think that you can only use the same station, this is because I once tried a different station and it didn´t let me collect them´

So you are making it clear that you have not checked, you are only saying what you think is the case, and giving a reason for it. That way you are not misleading people.

What we don´t want is a situation where something is stated as fact when it is actually incorrect.

stut

Established Member
Officially (as far as I can tell): you can only pick tickets up from the station you nominate.

In my personal experience: you can actually pick them up from any 'connected' machine (or manned ticket desk) regardless of where you select.

Your mileage may of course vary, and I wouldn't like to rely on that as a fact. However, if you find yourself unable to pick up at your nominated station, it's always worth trying.

First class

Established Member
If I opt to collect tickets in Liverpool, I could, theoretically, pick them up absolutely anywhere in the UK where there is a Fast Ticket Machine.

The system running behind the user-friendly interface recognises the unique booking reference. The only reason you have to choose what station to pick your tickets up in is because the TOC doesn't want you choosing to collect from a station which has no machine available.

So to confirm:

Any machine allows you to collect prebooked tickets. Just make sure you have the card available that you paid for them with.

paul1609

Established Member
What´s your source for this? That is incorrect advice.

In answer to the OP: tickets can be collected using any machine that is linked to the FastTicket database. Note that some ticket machines - particularly in the South East area - are not connected to this system. But there is a huge number of places where they can be collected and the list is growing all the time.

Any station that has a link to that system can also print them out at the station if you do not have your credit card. They will, however, ask for your name and (IIRC) the first line of your address.

I think you'll find that all machines in the South East are connected. Southern and Southeastern got fully connected earlier this year with SWT following a few weeks later.For some reason some South West Trains stations are not shown as a collection option, Portsmouth Harbour is one but the machine there does actually work.

glynn80

Established Member
I think you'll find that all machines in the South East are connected. Southern and Southeastern got fully connected earlier this year with SWT following a few weeks later.For some reason some South West Trains stations are not shown as a collection option, Portsmouth Harbour is one but the machine there does actually work.

No this is incorrect, there are still many Southern TVMs that are yet to be connected to the ToD network.

In general it is the smaller stations where this seems to be the case in my experience.

paul1609

Established Member
No this is incorrect, there are still many Southern TVMs that are yet to be connected to the ToD network.

In general it is the smaller stations where this seems to be the case in my experience.

Can you give me some examples? I'm reliably informed that every Southern operated station with a TVM is TOD enabled and has been so since March: http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=644

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Officially (as far as I can tell): you can only pick tickets up from the station you nominate.

In my personal experience: you can actually pick them up from any 'connected' machine (or manned ticket desk) regardless of where you select.

Your mileage may of course vary, and I wouldn't like to rely on that as a fact. However, if you find yourself unable to pick up at your nominated station, it's always worth trying.

Yep I agree 100% with this, I booked to pick up tickets around a fortnight ago from Doncaster station, but succesfully picked them up from Leeds instead, as I had more than enough time to do so at Leeds and a far tighter connection at "Donnie". ;)

dan_atki

Established Member

tony_mac

Established Member
the national rail website says

Self Service Ticket Machines Yes
Accessible Ticket Machines - Quickfare/ Pertis machines are not low level and have non-compliant user-operated parts.

dan_atki

Established Member
Drove past Warblington today. It only has permit to travel machines on the platform ramps:

Ah, which would mean NRE are giving out incorrect information about stations then - presumably supplied by Southern...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wouldn't be the first time. Filton ticket office has been closed since at least 2006, and it also has a self-service ticket machine yet the NR website says it's open in the afternoons, and has no self-service machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.