• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pilot Engines

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I recall reading of one crew who were on banking duty somewhere on the Brighton line, and were required to bank a train hauled by the "Hornby" (the enginemen's nickname for electric loco CC1). Except that, they couldn't catch up with it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrex

In such circumstances, the banking loco had to start the train, using a series of coded whistles to communicate with the crew of the train engine.
The Herne Hill-Tulse Hill spur ran on an embankment immediately behind my childhood home from 1952-1971. When I was quite small, steam locos hauling summer inter-regional trains used to often slip to a stand right behind us. Great fun. The usual remedy was to couple an EMU on the back, and we'd hear a series of toots from the electric train's (air) whistle and the steam loco. Eventually the whole lot would set off, and we'd see a green 4-SUB on the rear, motors groaning loudly. Often sparks from the loco's chimney would set the vegetation on fire, and we'd have the fire brigade as a bonus. Happy days. I often used to wonder how it was arranged, whether the guard went back to Herne Hill and got on the blower, and if they stopped the job on the adjacent Up line while the coupling was being done.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Weren't most banks protected by catch points?

I was wondering about the assisting engine stopping as the train carried on, now if you're going to take the engine back down the bank (wrong running) you would have to know exactly where those catch points were, providing you can manually work them otherwise you're going to derail.
Yes, catch points would be provided. I hesitate to say "never" but for that reason banking engines would not return "wrong line" but rather be crossed over at the summit to return on the correct track. Stopping before each set of catch points to clip them and again after passing over them to un-clip them would have been very time-consuming, and risk a serious accident if either action was forgotten. All the while they would be blocking any ascending trains.

As far as I'm aware the places where banking engines were attached and detached always had a crossover and at least one loop or siding where the engine could be held awaiting its next duty or a path back down the gradient. In Absolute Block areas they would also have a signal box. At Stansfield Hall, Todmorden end of the Copy Pit line, the stub of the south to west curve and a crossover remained after closure of the rest of the curve as a facility for a banking engine. It was still there and appeared useable when I visited in around 2010, controlled from Preston power box, and I believe remained until modified when the curve was reinstated a few years later.

Andy873

Firstly, apologies to Andy873 for a bit of thread drift, I was idly pondering banking procedures and thought I would ask. It was interesting to see the replies and learn about Pilot engines as well. Looks like it was a broad church of applications according to local requirements.
No problem Ken, ask away.

Except that, they couldn't catch up with it.
Nice story, wonder how common that was?

The Herne Hill-Tulse Hill spur ran on an embankment immediately behind my childhood home from 1952-1971. When I was quite small, steam locos hauling summer inter-regional trains used to often slip to a stand right behind us. Great fun. The usual remedy was to couple an EMU on the back, and we'd hear a series of toots from the electric train's (air) whistle and the steam loco. Eventually the whole lot would set off, and we'd see a green 4-SUB on the rear, motors groaning loudly. Often sparks from the loco's chimney would set the vegetation on fire, and we'd have the fire brigade as a bonus. Happy days. I often used to wonder how it was arranged, whether the guard went back to Herne Hill and got on the blower, and if they stopped the job on the adjacent Up line while the coupling was being done.
Thanks for sharing that, I'm sure they were happy memories.

As far as I'm aware the places where banking engines were attached and detached always had a crossover and at least one loop or siding where the engine could be held awaiting its next duty or a path back down the gradient. In Absolute Block areas they would also have a signal box
That's what I see on this signal box diagram:

Look for numbers 48, 49, 11, and 52.

You can see the pilot / bank engine would come up the bank with the train and run onto the East Lancs Down line. In front of Rose Grove West box it would stop. Now this engine can reverse (run tender first) using a cross over to the East Lancs Up line.
From there it could then branch off onto the Padiham branch Up line. In doing so it was running in the right direction and avoiding those catch points.

At Padiham it would then head for the goods yard and wait for the next train. When the next train passed through the station the pilot would race after it and help it up the bank, That was the pattern here, which agrees with what you are saying, but I bet there were exceptions?

D6130

Established Member
At Padiham it would then head for the goods yard and wait for the next train. When the next train passed through the station the pilot would race after it and help it up the bank,
I would have thought that the train requiring assistance would stop and wait for the banking engine to buffer-up to the rear. Racing after a moving train would be highly dangerous with strong risk of collision and/or derailment should the train unexpectedly slow down or stop.

Andy873

I would have thought that the train requiring assistance would stop and wait for the banking engine to buffer-up to the rear. Racing after a moving train would be highly dangerous
I was using the term "race" loosely, the train would slow down and allow the pilot to catch up. The sectional appendix is quite specific in stating the bank engine must stop at the signal box, there's no mention of uncoupling, and Stuart Taylor describes in detail the journeys across Lancashire, again, no mention of stopping and uncoupling. But I do get the general point you're making, thanks for that.

What about a single line where banking was needed, would those catch points be worked by a signal box?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What about a single line where banking was needed, would those catch points be worked by a signal box?
There is such a thing as a worked catch point, which would operate as a catch point when a train was ascending and would be set for through running when a train was descending. In that case I would expect the banking engine to drop off at the summit and return in the same way as any other train in the descending direction.

D6130

Established Member
Catch points were not generally used on single lines, except for the entrances and exits of passing loops. The trailing points at the rear of a loop - where there was a rising gradient - would derail any train or vehicle which rolled backwards for any reason towards the single line. More commonly, facing trap points would be provided - regardless of the gradient - in order to derail a train which had passed the starter signal at danger and was heading towards a collision with something coming the other way on the single line. These often led into a sand drag to help slow down the train and prevent it from derailing. If you can find a photo of the North end of Goathland station on the North York Moors Railway, you will see examples of both in close proximity to each other.

EDIT: Just seen @edwin_m 's post above and there were indeed examples of catch points worked from signalboxes. However I hadn't appreciated that they existed on single running lines as well as at passing loops.

Rescars

I recall reading of one crew who were on banking duty somewhere on the Brighton line, and were required to bank a train hauled by the "Hornby" (the enginemen's nickname for electric loco CC1). Except that, they couldn't catch up with it.
In similar vein, D L Smith tells of occasions on the GSWR when a banking engine driver, being not over familiar with the road, lost his bearings and continued to try to catch up with the train he was supposed to be assisting well after the summit of the line had been reached. On that switchback route, knowing more adverse gradients lay ahead, it must have beens scary for the driver of the train trying to keep ahead and even scarier for the rear guard!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
EDIT: Just seen @edwin_m 's post above and there were indeed examples of catch points worked from signalboxes. However I hadn't appreciated that they existed on single running lines as well as at passing loops.
The train, a four-car diesel multiple-unit, had been diverted via a goods loop line to by-pass a set of worked catch points that had been giving trouble, and the driver had been instructed to pass the loop exit signal, which was being held at Danger by the failed points, and thence to proceed onto the single line again. The driver, after traversing the loop exit points at caution, allowed his train to accelerate on the steeply falling gradient to a speed of some 40 mile/h, when it arrived at a second set of worked catch points which were set wrong for it, and diverted it into a short spur terminating in a stop block.
This shows several sets of worked catch points on the single running line between Darwen and Blackburn after re-signalling to Preston power box. The report linked off that page has more detail of how they were worked, and a track plan. Unlike the ones at loops, which were probably what is more correctly termed as trap points, these ones would have operated as sprung points when set for an ascending move.

47296lastduff

I had many cab rides on the 37s banking the sleeper from Bromsgrove, and we were never coupled, simply dropping back at Blackwell.

matchmaker

Established Member
There is a table in the 1969 Scottish Region Sectional Appendix showing the locations where banking was permitted. There were numerous conditions showing type of train, whether coupled or not, whether slip coupling was used, weather, etc.

6Gman

Established Member
There is a table in the 1969 Scottish Region Sectional Appendix showing the locations where banking was permitted. There were numerous conditions showing type of train, whether coupled or not, whether slip coupling was used, weather, etc.
Definitely "horses for courses" with specific instructions for each location.

The railway book I really, really want someone to write is "Assistance Required: Banking and Assisting Loco Workings in Britain".

Enthusiast

Station pilots were usually small shunting engines. Because they were very much in the public eye, they were kept in a much more presentable condition than most of their classmates, some even being given express passenger livery. The LNER, and later the Eastern Region, took particular pride in their presentation.
The J69 #68619 shown in post #20 was the Liverpool Street "East Side Pilot." It was always there whenever I visited, happily simmering away and polished within an inch of its life. But I never saw it move! Around 1960 it was repainted in Great Easter Railway Royal blue, with red coupling rods and really looked resplendent.

Liverpool Street was the terminus of the intensive "Jazz" service to Enfield Town and Chingford. This service saw 24 tph leave the terminus from four platforms, giving each incoming train a dwell time of just ten minutes. Whilst not strictly "bankers", the outgoing train would usually be given a shove on its way by the incoming loco, which swiftly left the buffers as the train left to make its way to the refuge sidings at the end of each platform, to await the arrival of the next incoming train.

Harvester

Established Member
Station pilots were usually small shunting engines. Because they were very much in the public eye, they were kept in a much more presentable condition than most of their classmates, some even being given express passenger livery. The LNER, and later the Eastern Region, took particular pride in their presentation.
4951169240_3b3a2c46c4_b.jpg
48546693487_84939546d8_b.jpg

IMG_20170420_0117-L.jpg

(lined green)
8144986237_2311aa9307_b.jpg

5401399390_a4cc6a02d9.jpg
The J72 68736 in green livery pictured at Newcastle, was York’s station pilot until July 1961. After diesel shunters took over at York it moved to Gateshead, and shared station pilot duties at Newcastle with green liveried 68723 for a few more years.

Andy873

Notes from two LYR 1905 WTTs:

It describes Rose Grove engine No,3 shunting at Padiham goods yard and goes on to say "and banks the 1.50pm Blackburn to Rose Grove if required".

How would the driver of this pilot engine know if banking was required? clearly there must have been some forward communication, perhaps from Blackburn station? would someone from Padiham station go down to the goods yard and tell him verbally / something written?

Also, would the driver be given a list of trains and times for those who would definitely need assistance? Although I'm quoting a specific location, what would have happened generally?

How would the driver of this pilot engine know if banking was required? clearly there must have been some forward communication, perhaps from Blackburn station? would someone from Padiham station go down to the goods yard and tell him verbally / something written?

Also, would the driver be given a list of trains and times for those who would definitely need assistance? Although I'm quoting a specific location, what would have happened generally?

It has to depend on the location and whether trains to be banked were just starting out or mid-journey. At Bromsgrove (foot of the Lickey Incline) nearly all trains were en route; in steam days the driver of the train engine would give a number of whistle blasts when passing the bankers' siding to say how much help he needed, based partly on the rulebook but partly on how his train was performing. Whilst the banking crews must have had a good idea what to expect (from the working timetable etc) the exact requirement for a specific train could depend on the load, the state of the engine, the state of the trucks, the abilities of the fireman, etc.

All trains needing banking (which was practically all trains) stopped in the station (if they were passenger trains scheduled to stop there) or just south of it while the banking engine(s) buffered up. The bankers were never coupled. During the period when diesels had taken over as express passenger train engines but the bankers were still steam, it was common that the train would simply accelerate away from the bankers, which couldn't keep up.

Rescars

It has to depend on the location and whether trains to be banked were just starting out or mid-journey. At Bromsgrove (foot of the Lickey Incline) nearly all trains were en route; in steam days the driver of the train engine would give a number of whistle blasts when passing the bankers' siding to say how much help he needed, based partly on the rulebook but partly on how his train was performing. Whilst the banking crews must have had a good idea what to expect (from the working timetable etc) the exact requirement for a specific train could depend on the load, the state of the engine, the state of the trucks, the abilities of the fireman, etc.

All trains needing banking (which was practically all trains) stopped in the station (if they were passenger trains scheduled to stop there) or just south of it while the banking engine(s) buffered up. The bankers were never coupled. During the period when diesels had taken over as express passenger train engines but the bankers were still steam, it was common that the train would simply accelerate away from the bankers, which couldn't keep up.
I can't imagine that Big Bertha was ever quick off the mark, but I think she had been retired long before the start of the diesel era.

Veteran Member

It describes Rose Grove engine No,3 shunting at Padiham goods yard and goes on to say "and banks the 1.50pm Blackburn to Rose Grove if required".

General practice was for the driver to whistle for assistance at a previous box if this was not booked, a special code being used.
BR era WTTs used the code AE for "stops for assistance" where this was booked.
And yes, the person in charge would have their "simplifier" or whatever to make sure all the booked assistance was covered and by which loco.

6Gman

Established Member

As others have said, almost certainly by use of whistle codes.

Rescars

As others have said, almost certainly by use of whistle codes.
Can anyone please explain if these whistle codes were standardised (like signalling bell codes), or were they specific to individual locations?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I can't imagine that Big Bertha was ever quick off the mark,
Relatively small driving wheels (and therefore low gearing), and built for high tractive effort at low speed, suggests she might have had pretty good acceleration, if only at very low speeds.

Andy873

Can anyone please explain if these whistle codes were standardised (like signalling bell codes), or were they specific to individual locations?
Well, I've had a good look through my 1960 sectional appendix (LM region, Central lines) and this is what I've found for engines requiring assistance:

L = Long whistle, C = Crow whistle

Bradley Fold Station 1L 2C
Salford Station 2C 1L
Windsor Bridge 2C 1L
Tottington Junction - No whistle code mentioned.

I can't find any standard whistle code and the above are the only ones listed in the whole appendix (as far as I can see).

Regarding the pilot engine being coupled (at the rear of a train), Rule 133 states the train should come to a stand still and the pilot coupled. However there's a very long list of locations and routes where this is over ridden. These exceptions generally state the train must slow down to allow the assisting engine to catch up, and coupling is not to be used. Generally, the assisting engine was instructed to stop at X signal box ready for its return back down the bank.

Just going back to running up banks, what does surprise me is most of the routes where there was one there is no instructions for the pilot engine? except what class of train to assist and whether to be coupled or not.

It does indeed look like these pilots were stationed at various points waiting for trains to come along in between other duties.

On my old branch the regular passenger trains stopped December 1957, these trains were only three carriages long and didn't require a banker. After that date only the returning holiday / summer passenger excursions (heading east up the bank) would require one as generally they would be around ten coaches long and packed with passengers. The assisting engine would sit waiting at the entrance to the goods yard at the bottom of the bank (Padiham). And that's the general picture as far as I can see it, a pilot at the bottom of a bank waiting for those trains. No whistle code from the train, just slow sown and let the pilot catch up and give you a push.

Generally on specific sections of a journey local drivers who knew the route and the routine would be used. In short, they knew what to expect and where to expect it, no need for those assistance whistles, and the lack of those whistles in the appendix seems to back this up?

John Webb

Established Member
Some codes were, and were laid down in the Rule Book. My 1950 (reissued with amendments up to 1961) copy gives several codes - regrettably they a scattered through the book and I may have missed some out.
Rule 133 (c) assisting a train - guard to signal driver on assisting engine at rear of train; latter gives two 'Crows' and leading engine repeats if signal clear. Leading engine to initiate if stopped at signal when no guard's hand signal is needed. Three short whistles if either loco needs to have the train halted.
Rule 148 (e) three short whistles to tell guard to apply his brakes.
Rule 185 (a) When moving in the wrong direction (eg usually following a breakdown or accident) the driver should frequently sound a series of 'pop' whistles.
Rule 204 (regarding single line working) similar requirement to rule 185 (a) above.
Rule 216 use of whistle to recall handsignalman during ballast train working. (No code given)
Rule 235 (c)(iii) whistle to be sounded before ballast train is started, stopped or its speed altered. (No code given)

Just going back to running up banks, what does surprise me is most of the routes where there was one there is no instructions for the pilot engine? except what class of train to assist and whether to be coupled or not.

I've found my copy of H C Casserley's book The Lickey Incline. This includes an extract from the Midland Railway 1903 Appendix to the Working Timetable, the "General Regulations for Working the Lickey Incline". These are very much in line with your comment @Andy873 . The Appendix runs to more than four and half pages, of which barely one-third of a page is about working up the incline. The other four and a bit pages are about operating down the incline, the signalling of trains and engines down the incline, and procedures in the event of the block telegraph failing. The section about working up the incline has precisely sentence on the normal operation of banking: "All Up trains requiring assistance must be brought to a stand at Bromsgrove". [Up is towards Derby, but conveniently that direction is also up the incline.]

The Puddock

There were both standard and local codes. The standard ones were listed in the Sectional Appendix (the entry from the 1960 ScR issue is attached) and local codes were variously given in the Sectional Appendix or published separately, depending on the time period and region. Many of the enginemen's Mutual Improvement Societies also published small pocket books listing whistle codes, as well as other handy miscellany such as location of water columns and troughs, locations and lengths of turntables etc... (image of an example from 1954 included below).

Whistle1.png
WHistle 2.png

PXL_20240328_200406498~2.jpg

Taunton

Established Member
The two Taunton west end pilots in latter steam days were one of each type, one Pannier Tank, which faced east, and was used to pull back across the layout the coaches from terminating services from Minehead, Barnstaple and Exeter locals, either propelling them into the departure bays or into sidings, and one Hall, which faced west, and could attend to any main line train needing its services, as well as helping out with the stock shunting when you needed two at once. In between the stock releases the Pannier also shunted mid-morning the steep ramp up to the coal stage, the spectacle of the day which I have described before. Despite a myriad of crossovers at the west end of Taunton, you couldn't get from the Up arrival bay to the Down bays in one go, and had to do a double shunt, pull-propel-pull-propel, right across the main lines

The Hall was, as often as not, our stalwart 4932 Hatherton Hall. We were away on hols in August 1962 when it took over from a failed Warship, and saved the day heading boldly westwards. Unfortunately a little too boldly, for it ran into the back of the service in front at Torquay. Anyway, it was patched up at Swindon, and lived on to the last day of steam at Taunton in late 1964.

Harvester

Established Member
The Hall was, as often as not, our stalwart 4932 Hatherton Hall. We were away on hols in August 1962 when it took over from a failed Warship, and saved the day heading boldly westwards. Unfortunately a little too boldly, for it ran into the back of the service in front at Torquay. Anyway, it was patched up at Swindon, and lived on to the last day of steam at Taunton in late 1964.
Wonder if she was Taunton’s west end pilot on 9th May 1964 when Hall 6999, hastily commandeered at Westbury, had to come off Z48. As it was Castle 7025 saved the day!

Andy873

The Hall was, as often as not, our stalwart 4932 Hatherton Hall
I'm sure there were plenty "old faithful" engines all over the place. There was one at Burnley Central, 42179 and old LYR engine which was withdrawn August 1960.

There were both standard and local codes. The standard ones were listed in the Sectional Appendix (the entry from the 1960 ScR issue is attached) and local codes were variously given in the Sectional Appendix or published separately, depending on the time period and region. Many of the enginemen's Mutual Improvement Societies also published small pocket books listing whistle codes, as well as other handy miscellany such as location of water columns and troughs, locations and lengths of turntables etc...
I'm guessing these local whistle codes were a throw back to the days before the big four? From what I've been told on other threads old habits persisted.