• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places to live in Cambridge? Greater Anglia Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotsman87

Hey everyone, does anyone know of any properties to rent in the Cambridge area, available around July time? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alan1310

Check Brett ward notice board it's a website for private landlords in Cambridge are you looking at any specific area

Scotsman87

Check Brett ward notice board it's a website for private landlords in Cambridge are you looking at any specific area

Thanks mate, that should be a big help. Just looking fit anywhere in the Cambridge area in general.

reapz

Thanks mate, that should be a big help. Just looking fit anywhere in the Cambridge area in general.

Just a word of advice before you rent anywhere check your depot notice board if its like any of the many messrooms ive been in it will have someone renting a flat or a room for other railwaymen/women etc

Scotsman87

Just a word of advice before you rent anywhere check your depot notice board if its like any of the many messrooms ive been in it will have someone renting a flat or a room for other railwaymen/women etc

Thank you for your reply reapz. I am new to the company and not had a chance to look at the notice boards for my depot, this is my first driving job and everything is new to me.

NSE

Established Member
Hehe student, it's a nice place, dunno about prices though, supermarket, chipping, buses to cambs and St Neots, pub, schools and nice stuff

Alan1310

camborne is not someware i would recomend try stay south of the river bit more money but much nicer if your based at cambridge depot look out for mill road cherry hinton fulbourn much easier to cycle from and yes living in cambridge its compulsery to own a bike prefrebly one that you have not paid for its a cambridge bylaw

ps i have lived in cambridge 23 years rented for 6 of those years if you need any info just pm me
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
its also worth looking out for shared houses not student ones mind

Jordy

Established Member
Wherever you pick, make sure you're not reliant on buses - they are unreliable and generally very annoying in my experience. When I was looking for places to live in Cambridge I was told to avoid Arbury and Kings Hedges, although how 'bad' these areas are I don't actually know! I had a look round Cambourne and it seemed reasonable, bit far out though and the buses finish quite early.

Yes I ended up in Newmarket in the end but that's another story.

NXdriver1981

Hey everyone, does anyone know of any properties to rent in the Cambridge area, available around July time? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hey I'm a Cambridge driver and am off out house hunting today so can give ya up to date advice later on... We're u one of the guys who had an interview last Tuesday? Ur looking at 700+for 1 bed 850+ for 2 bed place. Found somewhere I like which is 2 double bedrooms, large kitchen, dining room, lounge, en suite & family bathroom, garage and drive for 900 per month. Is 3 miles out in Milton but an easy bike ride. Message me with if u need any advice :)

O L Leigh

Established Member
GA don't have a policy for distance or time to home depot, so you can live wherever you like. The trick is being able to reach the depot for all those early starts and late finishes, so you will need to be independently mobile for the distance that you need to travel without having to rely on public transport.

Cambridge itself is a pain. Property is expensive and the roads are appalling. But if you live somewhere else the property will be cheaper (or rather your money will go further) but you'll have to travel into work. Swings and roundabouts, as they say. Do you want a hovel near work or have to slog through Cambridge traffic from somewhere out of town? What transport do you have access to (car/bicycle/moped/"shanks's pony", etc)?

There are plenty of online resources for house-hunting, so you shouldn't need any assistance from us. Sharing a house is a good idea, but it isn't always cheaper than a place of your own or compatible with shift work. Lots of Cambridge drivers live out of town in places like Ely, Royston, March, Kings Lynn and even further afield, so don't be afraid to cast the net far and wide. It all depends on your travel and personal arrangements.

Good luck!!

O L Leigh

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not a driver, but I am a Cambridge resident- for living in the city you're certainly best off with the eastern side. Rental prices quoted above are probably about spot on though. Pretty easy cycle in from anywhere within the city limits (and even a bit beyond), and the Brett Ward noticeboard is easily the best for renting/sharing (avoid the lettings agents Russels!).

I'll echo what's said about buses- whilst the "Citi" services, within the city itself, are reasonably frequent during the day, most become sporadic quite early in the evening and finish suprisingly early (no nightbuses!). They're prone to be snarled up in traffic in the narrow city centre streets. From the surrounding towns/villages bus services are generally poor, becoming poorer at the start of next week. Cars easily become stationary at "normal" rush hour- worth while taking into account, as whilst you'll no doubt have plenty of shifts when driving in would be a breeze, I guess you'll have runs of shifts when it won't be.

NXdriver1981

GA don't have a policy for distance or time to home depot, so you can live wherever you like. The trick is being able to reach the depot for all those early starts and late finishes, so you will need to be independently mobile for the distance that you need to travel without having to rely on public transport.

Cambridge itself is a pain. Property is expensive and the roads are appalling. But if you live somewhere else the property will be cheaper (or rather your money will go further) but you'll have to travel into work. Swings and roundabouts, as they say. Do you want a hovel near work or have to slog through Cambridge traffic from somewhere out of town? What transport do you have access to (car/bicycle/moped/"shanks's pony", etc)?

There are plenty of online resources for house-hunting, so you shouldn't need any assistance from us. Sharing a house is a good idea, but it isn't always cheaper than a place of your own or compatible with shift work. Lots of Cambridge drivers live out of town in places like Ely, Royston, March, Kings Lynn and even further afield, so don't be afraid to cast the net far and wide. It all depends on your travel and personal arrangements.

Good luck!!

O L Leigh

I can see your point about living away from the hussle of Cambridge but from experience it's more of a pain living further out than it is just biking to work and avoiding traffic all together. As for GA and distance from depot, they are getting tougher on that with new starters. A popular place for Cambridge drivers is Ely - good rail link and plenty of people to car share with on early starts/late finishes. Swings and roundabouts really

Scotsman87

Thanks for all your posts guys, I really appreciate them. We have been looking all over the area, and ideally want to be moved in by the 13th of July, just so hard getting our hands on a reasonable property. And living so far away at the moment makes it even harder. Really hope something comes up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.