• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places vulnerable to extreme weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

L&Y Robert

Sunday in north Oxfordshire, wind roaring in the chimney, things banging about outside.
I was wondering how things were at Dawlish today, with storm Abygail passing through. And there's another one following, I read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richieb1971

Established Member
The ticket machine at St Neots. Last year, in the dark, in the pouring rain and wind from hell I was trying firstly to get my car parked legally by phoning the car park number. My glasses were splattered with rain drops as I am trying to read the stupid sign and key into my phone. Eventually done, got quite wet. Then I went to the ticket machine to get my ticket and its not even under cover. It took about 2.5 mins to 3 mins to get my ticket from there.

There is a bridge under cover so why not put it there.

I am sure this is not what you meant in your subject line, but hey ho..:lol:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The Black Bridge at Machynlleth, which I'm presuming with the amount of rain we have had in the last 2 days is well into the red by now.

EDIT.
Just checked and line closed between Caersws and Machy. All coast bound trains terminating at Newtown. Coaches Machy to Newtown,

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Sunday in north Oxfordshire, wind roaring in the chimney, things banging about outside.
I was wondering how things were at Dawlish today, with storm Abygail passing through. And there's another one following, I read.

Trains seem to be normal. Just found a Teignmouth webcam which suggests the sea is relatively quiet. Wind is SW so Torbay coastline provides some shelter, real trouble is when its S or SE.

thenorthern

Established Member
Dawlish sea front is quite vulnerable.

The Kent Viaduct and the Leven Viaduct are vulnerable is bad weather.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Llanwrst area on the Blaenau branch floods every few years, including last week.

I'm travelling to Glasgow this week and keeping an eye on what is happening in Carlisle.

Skimble19

Established Member
The ticket machine at St Neots. Last year, in the dark, in the pouring rain and wind from hell I was trying firstly to get my car parked legally by phoning the car park number. My glasses were splattered with rain drops as I am trying to read the stupid sign and key into my phone. Eventually done, got quite wet. Then I went to the ticket machine to get my ticket and its not even under cover. It took about 2.5 mins to 3 mins to get my ticket from there.

There is a ticket machine on the bridge, right by the gate line..?

Carntyne

Saltcoats (Ayrshire)
Craigendoran (Dumbartonshire)

Both affected by sea water coming over and hitting the OHL

Dalmarnock

Start of the Glasgow Central LL (Anderston) tunnel. Floods during really wet weather.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I wouldn't even say extreme weather, more just heavy prolonged rain.
But the stretch on the Valley lines from Pontypridd to Porth (through Trehaford) always seems to flood at least once every single winter.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The trans-pennine routes tend to be vulnerable to flooding. Infact I believe this has been the case today.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Does the tunnel out of Dundee still flood ? It used to be filled with all manner of pumping equipment and pipework.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd imagine that if doesn't flood much it'll be because it still does have significant pumping! There's tunnels under rivers that certainly would flood without constant pumping!

6Gman

Established Member
Llanwrst area on the Blaenau branch floods every few years, including last week.

What is it about Llanrwst that people find so difficult to spell?

Llanrwst.

Named after Saint Crwst.

Not Saint Cwrst!

:D

Busaholic

Veteran Member

And they say we have to accept this as 'progress' - I've got another word for it.

The whole Exeter area is vulnerable to flooding - although Cowley Bridge MAY have been fixed, north of there up to Taunton is still highly vulnerable.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Dent station. The station itself and the immediate area's to the south and north of the station all suffer from drifting snow in winter. The snow hut and what's left of the snow fences are all testimony of this. Shale cutting is from what I've read one of the worst areas in the country for drifting.

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
The Emirates AirLine was suspended again on Sunday :lol: It was very windy by the Thames and Royal Docks over the whole weekend, although Monday was calmer. Really not fun waiting 10 minutes at Canning Town (High Level) in that weather after narrowly missing a 6tph Beckton service in the evening. The DLR between East India and London City Airport, or between Prince Regent and Gallions Reach is very exposed to the wind, and can be felt when on a train, but rarely disrupted by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.