• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plan for HS rail link to Norwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
If he can raise £4bn I'm sure it will happen.

Sadly the days of phoning up your bank and asking for a £4bn overdraft are probably over. :)

me123

Established Member
An upgrade of the current line to 120mphish, if feasible, would be great. Combined with the E-W rail link, it would help East Anglian rail. High Speed, however, will hopefully be out of the question. A high speed link to the North or South West would be much more beneficial for the country as a whole in my opinion.

GB

Established Member
An upgrade of the current line to 120mphish, if feasible, would be great. Combined with the E-W rail link, it would help East Anglian rail. High Speed, however, will hopefully be out of the question. A high speed link to the North or South West would be much more beneficial for the country as a whole in my opinion.

I dont think it is quite feasible to be honest, not without replacing the scores of AHBs that are only rated for 100mph or the current signalling set up that would also need to be altered. Then there is the question of stock as the max permissible speed for the class 90 is 110mph.

I would also question as to how actually benifical it would be having line speeds greater than 100mph on that section of route given the costs and traffic pattern involved.

Waverley125

while we talk about HS & wires, doing a WCML-style upgrade on most major lines ought to be a priority. The West Anglua & East of England should be priorities for this. I reckon £4bn would resignal both lines, upgrade stations & provide tilting trains for both lines, which would slash journey times. Getting London-Norwich down to 90 mins could be done without a mile of HS line if the trains could get a 100mph average speed, which is not infeasible with limited stop (i.e. Ipswich, Colchester, Chelmsford, Stratford) services and multi-axle drive.

me123

Established Member
I dont think it is quite feasible to be honest, not without replacing the scores of AHBs that are only rated for 100mph or the current signalling set up that would also need to be altered. Then there is the question of stock as the max permissible speed for the class 90 is 110mph.

I would also question as to how actually benifical it would be having line speeds greater than 100mph on that section of route given the costs and traffic pattern involved.

OK, I don't know the route. But theoretically, a higher line speed and more consistent speed would be beneficial for both communities.

anthony263

Established Member
Whats the point of a high speed line to norwich etc, that area is predicted to be underwater in the next 100 years thanks to rising sea levels

Status
Not open for further replies.