• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plans announced about Royal Mail building at Bristol T.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

infoman

Plans for digital Inovation center at the former Royal Mail Building.

Anything to make BTM a prettier place when visitors arrive by train.

The above story is being reported on BBC Radio Bristol.

May be further info on BBC Points west local News.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infoman

Not sure if the City council own the land,if thats correct maybe affordable homes could be built on the site.
If nothing else it COULD mean extra ticket gates being installed at the rear entrance.

Clip

Established Member
Well thats a good thing, complaint withdrawn, lets hope its made good use of.

Well the OP did say a digital innovation centre so that sounds good use of it and not a poncy shop in sight. And appears to be the new campus for the Uni

Bristol University has unveiled the site of its new campus – and it will replace one of the city's worst eyesores.

Earlier this month, the university revealed it was looking to building a new £300 million campus in city centre – and it has now found a home.

It will take over the former Royal Mail sorting office site next to Temple Meads railway station, right in the heart of the city's enterprise zone.

The plan is to knock it down the former sorting office building, which has been derelict for nearly 20 years, and redevelop the site.

The university hopes the new campus will open in time for the 2021/22 academic year and provide capacity for more than 5,000 students. But that is just phase one of the expansion plans, which stretch out over the next 40 years.

Read more: Bristol University announces plans for new £300 million city centre campus

Called the Temple Quarter Campus, the site is intended to secure the university's future growth.

In time, the new campus will also have a student village.

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...9935566-detail/story.html#QUQzUtYipAfAGDdJ.99

HSTFan57

I'm almost sad about this. The current "building" is spectacularly bleak and dystopian. It's particularly impressive when viewed on a dark cold winter morning. I'm surprised it hasn't been used as a location for film and TV, maybe it's too dangerous. I hope the replacement building will at least as distinctive as the current one.

HowardGWR

Established Member
How do you define "poncy" shops? Would you define those people who shop there are as being "poncy" as well?

Don't encourage him!:D

Actually the shops are coming, depend on it, and at all corners of TM, along with the Arena, which indeed will be capable of being reached through the eastern side of TM. I remember TM being accessible through the cubby hole entrance under the road tunnel of Cattle Market Road. That must have been a very lonely job for the clerk who sat down there in the gloom.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Given this is now a NR managed station im rather surprised its not being converted into a load of ponsy and expensive shops.

I was grateful for a poncy shop on one occasion many years ago. I was with a lady friend on Liverpool Street Station when she experienced an elastic failure. Luckily there was a Knickerbox concession on the station to which I was dispatched while she held the fort, so to speak. I was just so glad it wasn't an Ann Summers!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would define a ponsy and expensive shop as an outlet/consession of a high end designer brand with little use or relevance to the majoritty of station users. These outlets have their place but a railway station isnt it.

A new pare of socks, replacement elastic, shoe repairs or a shaving kit are all things travelers are likely to want and pay for and Iv no objection to large retail units on stations for such things. In fact if somewhere like a John Lewis or M and S outlet doing non food items were to appear at amajor station Id welcome it.

I should also clarrify that I dont classify users of expensive etc outlets as posh, we're all the same after all, as in we.'re all humans with a right to shop where we want.

I think my point is Id rather be able to get a sensibly priced pare of underpants or a decent hot meal at a station than fancy chocolates or a designer bag.

D1009

Established Member
I knew that I'd seen something a while ago about the redevelopment of this, and here it is: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...temple-meads/story-26297708-detail/story.html.

However, this story refers to the building being demolished for the land to be used for the Bristol Arena. I don't know whether this means that that plan is dead and the Arena isn't now going ahead - anyone local know, please?
This article suggests it is going ahead, but not for a while.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/reveal...elayed-again/story-29786876-detail/story.html

Stompehh

I knew that I'd seen something a while ago about the redevelopment of this, and here it is: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...temple-meads/story-26297708-detail/story.html.

However, this story refers to the building being demolished for the land to be used for the Bristol Arena. I don't know whether this means that that plan is dead and the Arena isn't now going ahead - anyone local know, please?
The parcelforce site is not mentioned in that article. The arena site is nearby but a different site.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

BestWestern

Established Member
With the electrification of the Temple now a dead duck, and NR's financial black hole the reason, can one now safely assume the once promising plans for a much needed overhaul of the station are now highly unlikely to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.