• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plans announced to open a new train maintenance facility at Shipley

SimplyLlama

Recently, I noticed this land being cleared next to the Shipley scrapyard. I have heard speculated that this may be some sidings but have found no information to back this so am wondering if anybody here knows what’s going on. (Photos attached)

Attachments

• IMG_8798.jpeg
    IMG_8798.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_8799.jpeg
    IMG_8799.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 252
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
They are indeed putting a stabling point in where Crossley Evans is/was. This will be used when Neville Hill is closed due to Transpennine Route Upgrade work.

davelindsay24

Clearing continues 13/03/24.
View from train from Bradford Foster Square

Attachments

• 20240313_173609.jpg
    20240313_173609.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 151
  • 20240313_173640.jpg
    20240313_173640.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
  • 20240313_173653.jpg
    20240313_173653.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
  • 20240313_173659.jpg
    20240313_173659.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
  • 20240313_173705.jpg
    20240313_173705.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157

Snow1964

Established Member
The department of transport have just tweeted about the new depot at Shipley for the electric trains.

Full details
  • passengers to benefit from a more resilient rail network in West Yorkshire thanks to new, government-funded maintenance depot in Shipley
  • Rail Minister Huw Merriman visits the depot’s construction site, which will support skilled jobs and apprenticeships across the region
  • forms part of £3.9 billion investment in the Transpennine route upgrade to deliver faster, more reliable rail journeys between Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York
High-skilled jobs and more reliable journeys will be created in Bradford as momentum continues to deliver one of the country’s largest rail improvement projects.

Rail Minister Huw Merriman has today (14 March 2024) confirmed plans as part of the government’s £3.9 billion investment into the Transpennine route upgrade (TRU) to build a new maintenance facility in Shipley.

Around £100 million will be provided to deliver what will be known as the Shipley TrainCare Centre, which will provide extra resilience to the North of England’s rail network.

It comes as work on the TRU project continues at pace to transform journeys between the key northern cities of Manchester, Huddersfield, Leeds and York, creating quicker journey times and reduced carbon emissions.

As part of a visit to Shipley today, the Rail Minister will attend the site of the new facility and meet people from across the region, who will work on and benefit from the project.

Geeves

Established Member
Id assumed they were just going to fettle the old sidings like at Cobra Wakefield but this seems to be complimenting Neville Hill for Electric work. It seems to be a proper depot vs just sidings

Neptune

Established Member
Id assumed they were just going to fettle the old sidings like at Cobra Wakefield but this seems to be complimenting Neville Hill for Electric work. It seems to be a proper depot vs just sidings
It is :)

Geeves

Established Member
This can only be a good thing that if the chaos that is going on around Neville Hill currently with points and signal failures means trains can still run up and around the triangle folks will be most pleased!

InkyScrolls

@Neptune is this purely for stock or is there to be a train crew depot there as well? I've not heard anything to suggest there will be but I thought you'd be best to ask for a definitive answer!

Neptune

Established Member
Maintenance and stabling of the EMU fleet. There will be depot drivers amongst the 100 permanent jobs there but no mainline crews planned to be based there as it stands.

Geeves

Established Member
MOT sub base type one is around 60 quid per Meter3 right now, You can imagine how much they will need to build an entire depot and that's before anything comes out of the ground. Also cleaning up a decades old scrap yard is probably a million quid

Neptune

Established Member
Seriously £100m for a small depot
Ground clearance, piling, concreting, construction of depot buildings including admin block, trackwork, signalling, overhead wires, fully kitting the depot out with facilities to maintain, clean and stable the units as well as fully kitting out the admin block plus lots of other things I’ve probably forgotten.

Can you do it for less?

59CosG95

Established Member
I was on the A3 going over the bridge earlier and similarly looked like progress was continuing well. Doesn’t look like it is too far off of starting to build a stabling point.
The dirty southerner in me wondered how the main London-Portsmouth road had made it to Shipley for a moment! :lol:
Clearing continues 13/03/24.
View from train from Bradford Foster Square
Seeing the characteristic green Murphy cabins makes me wonder if this work is contractually part of TRU East; while it makes no geographical sense, it makes sense commercially as this is all tied up with Neville Hill.
MOT sub base type one is around 60 quid per Meter3 right now, You can imagine how much they will need to build an entire depot and that's before anything comes out of the ground. Also cleaning up a decades old scrap yard is probably a million quid
Not least with regards the disposal of the contaminated waste (and associated costs of muck-away to a location certified to dispose of it)!

Bantamzen

Established Member
The dirty southerner in me wondered how the main London-Portsmouth road had made it to Shipley for a moment! :lol:

Seeing the characteristic green Murphy cabins makes me wonder if this work is contractually part of TRU East; while it makes no geographical sense, it makes sense commercially as this is all tied up with Neville Hill.

Not least with regards the disposal of the contaminated waste (and associated costs of muck-away to a location certified to dispose of it)!
Honestly until this thread started I had also wondered why this would linked financially into TRU, but only operate for Aire / Wharfe EMUs. But with all the work to take place around Neville Hill and the line away from Leeds towards Church Fenton, plus the new tender for Northern bi-modes for future operations it does all make sense. And its a plus for the area which really needs some regeneration.

snowball

Established Member
Completely off topic, but the best acronym I've ever seen for a pressure group was STOAT (Save The Old A Three).

However it failed in its objective, and when a section of the A3 was bypassed by the Hindhead road tunnel, part of it was completely closed to vehicles.