• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform 15 and 16 project at Manchester Piccadilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Probably people of a similar age to those who refer to Manchester Airport as Ringway. My Dad certainly calls it Speke Airport and always did, he's 69.

Four years younger than I. Until 1974, Ringway parish was still part of the Bucklow Rural District of Cheshire, then it was brought into the civil parish area that is part of the City of Manchester and given the title of Ringway civil parish.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

B&I

Established Member
The CLC route which is the one I normally use is an absolute disaster at the minute. From what I can tell the TPE services using the Ordsall Cord aren't currently a blinding success either. Obviously I will focus on what effects me the most and that is the CLC Northern service being almost unusable for commutes as it is that unreliable. I also wouldn't use Northerns direct link from Liverpool to Manchester Airport if I had a flight to catch or job to get to at the moment. My local train service is a mess because of various TOCs focusing on a relatively small number of people crossing the Pennines for long haul flights from Manchester Airport.

You see your mistakes there ?

1. You didn't become one.of the Movers and Shakers jumping off a plane at Ringway and hot-footing it to invest more in the economic powerhouse of Grimborough on Sea
2. You're not someone from Yarm who discovered that they could knock a few pounds off a low cost holiday flight by going from Manchester rather than Newcastle or Leeds-Bradford.

No, you were foolish enough to decide to be a Regular Cimmuter, and one from Liverpool at that, making you not just someone who Doesn't Matter, but someone who Doubly Doesn't Matter. After all, who needs regular income from passengers like you when we have twice a year holidaymakers and occasional business travellers to keep 2 heavily subsidised franchises on an even financial keel ?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Mayfield Siding. - The one parallel to Temperance Street.

The fact that people need to stoop to nitpicking the omission of a single word from my post, shows me that the points I am making are valid. Much as it might pain some people on here.

I am not suggesting mothballing the chord. Neither its it North West Rails for North West people. The suggestion is, similar to B&I that in lieu of 15/16 (until it is built, and possibly even afterwards, a proper cross commuter service should be front and centre with regards to the Castlefield corridor. Services which travel through fewer pinch points and thus are less likely to be delayed / more likely to be able to recover.

Express TPE North services would only stop at Victoria. Where passengers who need the airport would be able to change onto the local services.

It would leave only the Scotland service and the Liverpool Norwich as the only services with end door stock, thus helping with the dwell times.

I have already suggested Chester via Warrington Bank Quay as a western terminus for 1 of the TPE (in lieu of the Northern Connect service). The main aim being to put Warrington back on the TPE map. The 2nd could be Bolton - Preston - Blackpool giving Bolton a direct cross pennine service, however that is merely a suggestion.

The problem with stopping all the TPEs at Victoria will be what to do with the 2 that previously where headed for the airport. Plus of course this would increase dwell times at Victoria for both the TPEs and any Chord using commuter services, and there isn't exactly a lot of spare capacity at Victoria to handle this. I suspect you'd be shifting the problem from A to B without curing the problem, which is a lack of wriggle room in the current timetables, terminations and crew changes at pinch points & simply not enough capacity per service.

The CLC route which is the one I normally use is an absolute disaster at the minute. From what I can tell the TPE services using the Ordsall Cord aren't currently a blinding success either. Obviously I will focus on what effects me the most and that is the CLC Northern service being almost unusable for commutes as it is that unreliable. I also wouldn't use Northerns direct link from Liverpool to Manchester Airport if I had a flight to catch or job to get to at the moment. My local train service is a mess because of various TOCs focusing on a relatively small number of people crossing the Pennines for long haul flights from Manchester Airport.

I've bee using the CLC for various journeys for quite some years, both for business and family visits & in all this time it has always had issues trying to juggle the fasts with the stoppers / skip-stoppers with the latter often having to miss stops to gain time and get out of the way of the fasts, with the fasts sometimes having to make additional stops. Its been far from perfect for a very long time, not just since May.

B&I

Established Member
2tph to Liverpool just serves Liverpool (plus Warrington/St. Helens along the way)

2tph to Leeds (and beyond) serves Huddersfield, Leeds, York, plus Middlesbrough and/or Darlington, Durham and Newcastle.

And Liverpool is rather closer to Manchester and its airport than all those places. Is this not likely to affect demand ?

B&I

Established Member
The problem with stopping all the TPEs at Victoria will be what to do with the 2 that previously where headed for the airport. Plus of course this would increase dwell times at Victoria for both the TPEs and any Chord using commuter services, and there isn't exactly a lot of spare capacity at Victoria to handle this. I suspect you'd be shifting the problem from A to B without curing the problem, which is a lack of wriggle room in the current timetables, terminations and crew changes at pinch points & simply not enough capacity per service.

Notlob provided 2 sensible suggestions for alternative destinations in the post you've just responded to.

Much of the discussion on this thread is so welded to unshiftable preconceptions that participating in it is sometimes like.talking to an answering machine.

B&I

Established Member
I've bee using the CLC for various journeys for quite some years, both for business and family visits & in all this time it has always had issues trying to juggle the fasts with the stoppers / skip-stoppers with the latter often having to miss stops to gain time and get out of the way of the fasts, with the fasts sometimes having to make additional stops. Its been far from perfect for a very long time, not just since May.

The service along the CLC has never been wonderful in the 15 years I've been using it. However, it has become demonstrably worse since May. Quite apart from the chronic unreliability of everything on it, how can replacement of a TPE service with a substantially slower Northern Disconnect one be an improvement ?

However, as these changes were made to facilitate the vital, all-surpassing goal of Manchester Airport expanding its passenger share east of the Pennines (never mind that Liverpool's service to it was downgraded in the process), it's easier to pretend that another poster's daily experience of a deteriorating service on the line he or she commutes on is somehow incorrect.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
However, as these changes were made to facilitate the vital, all-surpassing goal of Manchester Airport expanding its passenger share east of the Pennines (never mind that Liverpool's service to it was downgraded in the process)
The view of the railway is probably Liverpool John Lennon is a thing. But the last time I checked, there aren't many international flights from John Lennon.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Notlob provided 2 sensible suggestions for alternative destinations in the post you've just responded to.

Much of the discussion on this thread is so welded to unshiftable preconceptions that participating in it is sometimes like.talking to an answering machine.

You are right about one thing, it is like talking to answering machine with the constant "Its all the TPE service's fault" whilst steadfastly ignoring all the other problems that arose from, and existed before the May timetable changes.

But to tackle the other point, are TPE really going to be interested in Chester and Blackpool as destinations when they have been working towards building airport links? Is there demand for long distance services to either via Manchester? Or is this just a couple of convenient places away from Nirvana, sorry Manchester that suit what some people want to see? Plus what commuter services would be replacing the TPE paths to provide a connection at Victoria, whilst completely failing to make a blind bit of difference to the problems plus add longer dwell times at that station?

The service along the CLC has never been wonderful in the 15 years I've been using it. However, it has become demonstrably worse since May. Quite apart from the chronic unreliability of everything on it, how can replacement of a TPE service with a substantially slower Northern Disconnect one be an improvement ?

However, as these changes were made to facilitate the vital, all-surpassing goal of Manchester Airport expanding its passenger share east of the Pennines (never mind that Liverpool's service to it was downgraded in the process), it's easier to pretend that another poster's daily experience of a deteriorating service on the line he or she commutes on is somehow incorrect.

Neither were the North TPs, but as we have seen they too got a lot worse since the May timetable. And this has been well debated, with a number of potential solutions for building in more flexibility to the diagrams giving longer turnaround times as well as splitting problematic services. Once these are in place, we can re-assess their impact along the Castlefield corridor instead of wildly throwing up of the forum's arms and declaring it an impossibility. And let us remember that the Chord was funded on the basis that it connected eastern services to the airport without having to cross the throat of Piccadilly or reverse there. A fact all too often forgotten in this thread, so I'm afraid it's either make it work (which despite what you seem to believe is far from impossible), or make it a potential white elephant and cause to risk future investment in the region.

Oh and please stop with the claim that I am somehow pretending that the poster you refer to doesn't have any problems. This does not help your argument one jot, and is really only a distraction technique.

B&I

Established Member
The view of the railway is probably Liverpool John Lennon is a thing. But the last time I checked, there aren't many international flights from John Lennon.

I'm not sure that the railway (apart from Merseyrail) have much of a view on Speke Airport. 'The railway' has recently effectively cut services to it by diverting TPE away from Liverpool South Parkway, replacing it with a Northern service which (west of Manchester) serves places already connected to South Parkway, and which just happens to go to Manchester Airport as well. Clearly it's vital to give folk from east of the Pennines the chpice of using an airport west of the Pennines, just so long as that choice is narrowed down to one.

I'm also not sure the view of the railway matters as much in this respect as the commercial interests of Manchester Airport Group, majority-owned by the Greater Manchester boroughs, and expressed through local government input into TfN and its predecessors.

MAG's views are, I suspect, something along the lines that rail links to Merseyside are not a priority because:
1. Most of it is within a fairly short drive to Manchester Airport (the awful traffic notwithstanding), to the extent that a taxi is a not-unviable competitor on price with the train if there's a big enough party
2. Speke Airport is not a particularly effective competitor, with its poor public transport and road links and limited choice of routes meaning that many around Liverpool use Ringway already. I suspect that the latter has probably achieved something like market saturation around Merseyside
3. East of the Pennines os therefore a better market to target, as shown by the passenger numbers and range of flights at Leeds-Bradford and (especially) Newcastle.

To a large extent, That's Capitalism, and it's hard to criticise a private company for trying to maximise growth (issues about the environmental damage caused by air travel notwithstanding). However, I do object to a private company's expansion plans efgectively being subsidised by public infrastructure decisions, especially when bodies which stand to benefit financially from said expansion are involved in taking those decisions, and when those decisions are taken with no regard at all for the effects they have on everyone else.

B&I

Established Member
You are right about one thing, it is like talking to answering machine with the constant "Its all the TPE service's fault" whilst steadfastly ignoring all the other problems that arose from, and existed before the May timetable changes.

But to tackle the other point, are TPE really going to be interested in Chester and Blackpool as destinations when they have been working towards building airport links? Is there demand for long distance services to either via Manchester? Or is this just a couple of convenient places away from Nirvana, sorry Manchester that suit what some people want to see? Plus what commuter services would be replacing the TPE paths to provide a connection at Victoria, whilst completely failing to make a blind bit of difference to the problems plus add longer dwell times at that station?

Is there demand for services from east of the Pennines to.Manchester Airport ? I mean actual demand from actual people, not just Councillors Cox and Evans who somehow associate a direct connection to Ringway with their bailliwick's survival ?

If there is no demand for a service from Chester across the Pennines, why is it being proposed for a Northern Connect service ?

While a Castlefield-Victoria serbice would be handy, and while it shiuld be possible to provide it eg using an extended Calder Valley service (I'm sure Rochdale folk would like to go t' t'airport as well), this will be difficult in practice because of the low capacity designed into the whole scheme. You are insisiting that services keep using the Ordsall Chord so no-one can call it a white elephant. Perhaps the problem is that it is - without other, much bigger and more expensive projects - an irredeemable white elephant, prioritised as a result of political pipedreams, manic civic self-aggrandisement and the commercial motives of private business, rather than because if was necessary or desirable at the present point in time.

Neither were the North TPs, but as we have seen they too got a lot worse since the May timetable. And this has been well debated, with a number of potential solutions for building in more flexibility to the diagrams giving longer turnaround times as well as splitting problematic services. Once these are in place, we can re-assess their impact along the Castlefield corridor instead of wildly throwing up of the forum's arms and declaring it an impossibility. And let us remember that the Chord was funded on the basis that it connected eastern services to the airport without having to cross the throat of Piccadilly or reverse there. A fact all too often forgotten in this thread, so I'm afraid it's either make it work (which despite what you seem to believe is far from impossible), or make it a potential white elephant and cause to risk future investment in the region.

Oh and please stop with the claim that I am somehow pretending that the poster you refer to doesn't have any problems. This does not help your argument one jot, and is really only a distraction technique.

i'm not saying that you told fowler9 that he or she had no problems. I am saying that you opened your reply by trying to suggest that they must have been down to historic problems on the CLC, rather than the May debacle, suggesting that you are trying to distract attention away frkm the effect that the May debacle has had on the entire railway network across the north.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Is there demand for services from east of the Pennines to.Manchester Airport ? I mean actual demand from actual people, not just Councillors Cox and Evans who somehow associate a direct connection to Ringway with their bailliwick's survival ?

If there is no demand for a service from Chester across the Pennines, why is it being proposed for a Northern Connect service ?

Quite honestly I don't know, the proposed Calder Valley to Airport run would be more useful. And yes, people do use the airport service from east of the Pennines, why wouldn't they? Given that the alternative is a run across the new M62 car park, with it's almost daily issues and the prospect of finally reaching the equally troubled M60 car park. The airport station as a whole is seeing significant growth, and although I don't have figures a cursory glance at the many suitcases heading east with 'MAN' tags on them suggest that either they boarded at Manchester Airport, or parachuted out over east Cheshire on approach and landed at Stalybridge. And suitcases seem to be a regular feature on services heading west so that is at least some anecdotal evidence.

While a Castlefield-Victoria serbice would be handy, and while it shiuld be possible to provide it eg using an extended Calder Valley service (I'm sure Rochdale folk would like to go t' t'airport as well), this will be difficult in practice because of the low capacity designed into the whole scheme. You are insisiting that services keep using the Ordsall Chord so no-one can call it a white elephant. Perhaps the problem is that it is - without other, much bigger and more expensive projects - an irredeemable white elephant, prioritised as a result of political pipedreams, manic civic self-aggrandisement and the commercial motives of private business, rather than because if was necessary or desirable at the present point in time.

As stated, Northern do want to run an hourly Calder Valley airport service at some point in the future.

I don't know why the Chord project was prioritised over others, but at the time of signing off it was still planned to be part of a wider scheme, perhaps the added difficulty of getting planning permission in the light of a certain Mr Whitby (hey, that's not you is it? ;)) along with the engineering challenges meant that this went through first before a certain Minister got cold feet. That's just speculation on my part, you'll need to ask the bald one exactly why as he is most likely to know, if least likely to answer. But the premise remains, mothballing the chord will send the wrong signals to all the wrong people. The Castlefield congestion is not insurmountable, it must have been planned long in advance knowing that TPE would be throwing their services across it, and before the utter shambles of the DafT, NR, and TOCs botched May timetables. So why not try to solve those problems and use the paths as planned, instead of running around in a 'Dad's Army' style panic?

i'm not saying that you told fowler9 that he or she had no problems. I am saying that you opened your reply by trying to suggest that they must have been down to historic problems on the CLC, rather than the May debacle, suggesting that you are trying to distract attention away frkm the effect that the May debacle has had on the entire railway network across the north.

The CLC did have problems, as did the North TP. This is not speculation, it was as it was and subsequently the May timetables have further manifested problems in Castlefield. But even if the pathings were dialled back, there would still be problems and if a TPE serving connection were to be introduced through Victoria still have a similar number of services ramming their way through, getting short-terminated, still having crew changes etc etc, blah, blah. Moving some of the problem from A to B is what has been happening in the North for decades. Perhaps this North West timetable meltdown is a blessing in disguise, and maybe it will focus minds onto making sure services have the capacity they need instead of sticking plaster remedies?

Greybeard33

Established Member
Perhaps because it has given Liverpool a faster TPE service to Scarborough, via Huddersfield, Leeds and York, and vice versa? With your opinion of "Ringway", do you not consider those links to be more useful?

Also because the removal of the Scarborough service from Piccadilly throat has given travellers from Hazel Grove and stations to Buxton a doubling of service frequency to Manchester. Or is that unimportant compared with a few minutes added to journeys from Merseyside to Manchester Airport?

Last edited:

B&I

Established Member
Perhaps because it has given Liverpool a faster TPE service to Scarborough, via Huddersfield, Leeds and York, and vice versa? With your opinion of "Ringway", do you not consider those links to be more useful?

Also because the removal of the Scarborough service from Piccadilly throat has given travellers from Hazel Grove and stations to Buxton a doubling of service frequency to Manchester. Or is that unimportant compared with a few minutes added to journeys from Merseyside to Manchester Airport?

We have gone from one TPE non-stop to 2 slower stopping TPE services. That's a net benefit if you stop there.

We have lost the stopping service over Chat Moss to Victoria, whoch makes connections to stations east of Victoria from the Chat Moss line harder, though this is partly mitigated by changing at Newton, Lea Green or Oxford Rd for eastbound TPE services.

We have lost the semi-fast to the airport, replaced by a disappointingly slow all-stops. That probably works out about even because the greater stops compensate for some users' slower journeys. (This is the service that many on here are so blase about cutting out from.the Castlefield corridor.)

We have lost the TPE service over the CLC, replaced by an anaemically slow and unreliable Northern service, generally using worse stock. That's a loss to intermediate stations on the CLC, but also for Liverpool as either direct service to Ringway is now substantially slower than the semi-fast was before May.

Now, there are a number of people on this thread who argue that direct links to Ringway are so important that the whole rail system of the north of England must be planned around them. So why should people of Merseyside (and that portion of Cheshire served by the CLC) be jumping up and down with joy at having their service to this crucial asset downgraded ?

xotGD

Established Member
This discussion is going round in circles. However, some posters still haven't figured out how to spell Middlesbrough (one 'o') or Teesside (double 'ss').

Back on topic, yesterday my train lost 10 minutes between Leeds and Man Vic, as we were stuck behind a late-running Hull - Pic stopper that wasn't looped anywhere. There are many problems, and platform capacity at Pic is just one of them.

B&I

Established Member
Quite honestly I don't know, the proposed Calder Valley to Airport run would be more useful. And yes, people do use the airport service from east of the Pennines, why wouldn't they? Given that the alternative is a run across the new M62 car park, with it's almost daily issues and the prospect of finally reaching the equally troubled M60 car park. The airport station as a whole is seeing significant growth, and although I don't have figures a cursory glance at the many suitcases heading east with 'MAN' tags on them suggest that either they boarded at Manchester Airport, or parachuted out over east Cheshire on approach and landed at Stalybridge. And suitcases seem to be a regular feature on services heading west so that is at least some anecdotal evidence.

As stated, Northern do want to run an hourly Calder Valley airport service at some point in the future.

I don't know why the Chord project was prioritised over others, but at the time of signing off it was still planned to be part of a wider scheme, perhaps the added difficulty of getting planning permission in the light of a certain Mr Whitby (hey, that's not you is it? ;)) along with the engineering challenges meant that this went through first before a certain Minister got cold feet. That's just speculation on my part, you'll need to ask the bald one exactly why as he is most likely to know, if least likely to answer. But the premise remains, mothballing the chord will send the wrong signals to all the wrong people. The Castlefield congestion is not insurmountable, it must have been planned long in advance knowing that TPE would be throwing their services across it, and before the utter shambles of the DafT, NR, and TOCs botched May timetables. So why not try to solve those problems and use the paths as planned, instead of running around in a 'Dad's Army' style panic?

The CLC did have problems, as did the North TP. This is not speculation, it was as it was and subsequently the May timetables have further manifested problems in Castlefield. But even if the pathings were dialled back, there would still be problems and if a TPE serving connection were to be introduced through Victoria still have a similar number of services ramming their way through, getting short-terminated, still having crew changes etc etc, blah, blah. Moving some of the problem from A to B is what has been happening in the North for decades. Perhaps this North West timetable meltdown is a blessing in disguise, and maybe it will focus minds onto making sure services have the capacity they need instead of sticking plaster remedies?

It's not a Corporal Jones impression to point out that, for so long as Boiled Egg sits on any further infrastructure spending (a fact presumably in no way related to the Tories' almost comic failure to make any electoral headway in Manchester), we have limited resources, and can only stretch them to accommodate so many services. You have made sensible suggestions that would probably benefit almost everyone (except the proposal to divorce Chat Moss from Piccadilly and the airport). Even these modest proposals so not however seem likely to happen in the near future, thanks to Northern and TPE's joint inability to implement any sensible changes to anything.

My main reservation about the chord was the way it has built another capacity pinch point into the network - it should have been built on a more spacious alignment, further west (workable transport infrastructure is more important than a few acres of development land), with flying junctions. I feel that it will prove of value in future, but as part of an intensive suburban service when Manchester finally gets a proper local heavy rail network, in conjunction with some means of taking long-distance services across the city without relying in the current city centre network.

urbophile

Established Member
Not faster for those of us who live in south Liverpool (a big slice of the city's population and probably the most affluent and hence more likely to travel frequently). Travelling from South Parkway now involves schlepping back to Lime Street (via two changes or a walk) or changing in Manchester with almost the same hassle. [sorry, editing to clarify the latter: I was thinking of Merseyrail to Lime Street which is the obvious route from most stations in south Liverpool but not of course S Parkway itself]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's not a Corporal Jones impression to point out that, for so long as Boiled Egg sits on any further infrastructure spending (a fact presumably in no way related to the Tories' almost comic failure to make any electoral headway in Manchester), we have limited resources, and can only stretch them to accommodate so many services. You have made sensible suggestions that would probably benefit almost everyone (except the proposal to divorce Chat Moss from Piccadilly and the airport). Even these modest proposals so not however seem likely to happen in the near future, thanks to Northern and TPE's joint inability to implement any sensible changes to anything.

My main reservation about the chord was the way it has built another capacity pinch point into the network - it should have been built on a more spacious alignment, further west (workable transport infrastructure is more important than a few acres of development land), with flying junctions. I feel that it will prove of value in future, but as part of an intensive suburban service when Manchester finally gets a proper local heavy rail network, in conjunction with some means of taking long-distance services across the city without relying in the current city centre network.

Well at least some of the ideas should come into play in the coming weeks and months. Longer TPE turnarounds at the airport, less short-terminating in central Manchester, splitting longer distance stoppers, more capacity on both TPE and Northern. All small improvements but as a whole should improve things greatly.

As for the Holy Grail of the GM S-Bahn, well that can only become a reality if a new cross-Manchester alignment can be built for longer distance InterCity services to clear the way for high frequency commuter trains. Otherwise you have exactly the same problems as seen today.

However GM needs first to decide what it actually wants, a S-Bahn heavy rail solution, a <cough> tram-train solution, or continual expansion of MetroLink. All things being equal, and viewed from afar I'd say the latter is not only the most likely but probably preferable, as the infrastructure is tried and tested there <dons tin hat>. Some cities further east would snatch a your arm off for even a fraction of the current and planned MetroLink network...

Mogster

I’ve occaisionally travelled from Radcliffe into Manchester on the current Metrolink trams. It’s about 10 miles.

For short journeys they are just the job but anything longer than 20 minutes and they just aren’t comfortable enough and the journey becomes wearing. Even at the very modest speed they can do the ride is bad and the seats are pretty awful. This is from someone who travels on 142s and 150s regularly... The thought of travelling from Wigan to Manchester on the things fills me with dread every time it’s mentioned...

B&I

Established Member
Well at least some of the ideas should come into play in the coming weeks and months. Longer TPE turnarounds at the airport, less short-terminating in central Manchester, splitting longer distance stoppers, more capacity on both TPE and Northern. All small improvements but as a whole should improve things greatly.

As for the Holy Grail of the GM S-Bahn, well that can only become a reality if a new cross-Manchester alignment can be built for longer distance InterCity services to clear the way for high frequency commuter trains. Otherwise you have exactly the same problems as seen today.

However GM needs first to decide what it actually wants, a S-Bahn heavy rail solution, a <cough> tram-train solution, or continual expansion of MetroLink. All things being equal, and viewed from afar I'd say the latter is not only the most likely but probably preferable, as the infrastructure is tried and tested there <dons tin hat>. Some cities further east would snatch a your arm off for even a fraction of the current and planned MetroLink network...

If the cretins who run TfGM think they can adequately service a conurbation of nearly 3 million with a tram system which would look second rate in a small French of Italian city, that's up to them. They should however be told that all heavy rail lines providing any through services are off-limits to their meddling. (There are in fact a number of holes gouged through greater Manchester for unbuilt motorways which would be ideal for street-level tramways, similar to a solution adopted in Boston).

My own view remains that Metolinkifying heavy rail lines was a mistake which everyone concerned is too proud to.admit now.

B&I

Established Member
At the time it was a good idea and saved them from the horror of early privatisation.

A better idea would have been building a proper heavy rail suburban system.in the 70s, but that of course was another occasion when Manchester got stuffed through no fault of its own, thanks to mismanagement of the national economy

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
A better idea would have been building a proper heavy rail suburban system.in the 70s, but that of course was another occasion when Manchester got stuffed through no fault of its own, thanks to mismanagement of the national economy
But Metrolink has given the city centre better links. There are 4 stations serving the main city centre and 4 more transport exchange stations within the city centre. And the Arndale has double the amount of stations as it would have under Picc Vic. Royal Exchange vs Market Street and Exchange Square.

B&I

Established Member
But Metrolink has given the city centre better links. There are 4 stations serving the main city centre and 4 more transport exchange stations within the city centre. And the Arndale has double the amount of stations as it would have under Picc Vic. Royal Exchange vs Market Street and Exchange Square.

I think a central underground station eg under Piccadilly Gardens, with trains reaching it in a small fraction of the time.trams currently take to trundle through the streets, would have done the job rather better

fowler9

Established Member

Mate West Allerton station is at the end of my road and has been for the last 35 years and I can assure you that although it has always been difficult at peak periods for some time it is now hopelessly unreliable since the May timetable change. I only use it for social meet ups as does my brother and even then it is frequently a write off. Fortunately I live close enough to work and also the city centre that I don't have to rely on it. I feel sorry for the people I speak to regularly who work for Northern and have to deal with people less reasonable than myself.

fowler9

Established Member

It isn't just a few minutes added for people travelling from Liverpool to Manchester Airport. It has been a complete disaster for everything along the CLC and Liverpools connection to Manchester Airport becoming one of the first things to get axed when things go wrong, which they often do.

Bantamzen

Established Member
If the cretins who run TfGM think they can adequately service a conurbation of nearly 3 million with a tram system which would look second rate in a small French of Italian city, that's up to them. They should however be told that all heavy rail lines providing any through services are off-limits to their meddling. (There are in fact a number of holes gouged through greater Manchester for unbuilt motorways which would be ideal for street-level tramways, similar to a solution adopted in Boston).

My own view remains that Metolinkifying heavy rail lines was a mistake which everyone concerned is too proud to.admit now.

Well whatever decisions have been made in the past, rightly or wrongly, the fact remains that until a new alignment could be agreed, financed & built, long distance services will need to continue to pass through Manchester making a S-Bahn network all but impossible.

I didn't however know about the bores under the city though, do you have any links to hand (if not I'm flying to Spain this weekend so I can do a bit of digging (see what I did there!) whilst at the airport)?

Manchester in general has done a lot better than some other cities in terms of both the investment in infrastructure, and the benefits it has gained as a result. For example Leeds has been crying out for a public transport solution, but has seen any form of light rail solution blown out of the water, the proposed trolleybus one laughed out, and can't even get the bus lanes consistent enough to make buses more effective. As for new heavy rail lines, well the less said about that the better.

Mate West Allerton station is at the end of my road and has been for the last 35 years and I can assure you that although it has always been difficult at peak periods for some time it is now hopelessly unreliable since the May timetable change. I only use it for social meet ups as does my brother and even then it is frequently a write off. Fortunately I live close enough to work and also the city centre that I don't have to rely on it. I feel sorry for the people I speak to regularly who work for Northern and have to deal with people less reasonable than myself.

Honestly, I am not trying to down talk the problems there. I know things have got considerably worse as an occasional user of the CLC myself (its worth pointing out that in May the Leeds-Warrington C route that I use was severed) I've seen it first hand. But my point is that the additional cluster-you-know-what that is the CLC, Castlefield, et al since May is not something new, just as a result of an additional set of problems caused as a result of a botched timetable. Hopefully over the coming months many of the pathing & crewing issues that have added to the problems will be dealt with leading to an easing of the problems through Manchester.

furnessvale

Established Member
Not strictly true. Manchester had at least a hand in its own downfall with its fascination with a monorail. By the time sense had prevailed and they finally listened to people who knew what they were talking about, all the available money had been allocated to the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool, so Picc-Vic was off the table and trams were the only answer.

Altfish

There are not many of those "...holes gouged through greater Manchester for un-built motorways which would be ideal for street-level tramways,...", the only one that comes to mind that is left is the M60 /Hazel Grove by-pass. I doubt Hazel Grove will be impressed if that became a tramway rather than a badly needed road.
I'm sure you'll correct me with the ones I've forgotten.

As a regular user of Metrolink, although it is not perfect it is far superior to the heavy rail that preceded it.

Altfish

Not strictly true. Manchester had at least a hand in its own downfall with its fascination with a monorail. By the time sense had prevailed and they finally listened to people who knew what they were talking about, all the available money had been allocated to the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool, so Picc-Vic was off the table and trams were the only answer.
IIRC, the monorail was a very short-lived alternative to the Pic-Vic scheme and I don't recall it ever being taken seriously.

Greybeard33

Established Member
It isn't just a few minutes added for people travelling from Liverpool to Manchester Airport. It has been a complete disaster for everything along the CLC and Liverpools connection to Manchester Airport becoming one of the first things to get axed when things go wrong, which they often do.
Undoubtedly the timetable change has been disastrous for performance on the CLC line, and most of the other lines out of Manchester. But the chaos has multiple causes, as discussed at length in this and other threads. Not specifically due to the swap of the TPE and Northern services between the CLC and Chat Moss lines.

My point was that, on the occasions the trains do still run on time, this swap has benefitted some users of the Scarborough and Buxton services. It has also provided a direct service from South Parkway and Birchwood to Manchester Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.