• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform humps

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinba11

Why are the platform humps on all the lines apart from the met line about 3 cm below the floor of the train? (On the met line they are level with the floor of the train).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheVicLine

They are there to raise the platform up to train level on the middle of the train to allow wheelchair/disabled access.

Dstock7080

Established Member
On the District, H&C and Circle Lines the humps will be level with the train floor once S Stock are running.

spinba11

I know why they are there, I'm in a wheelchair, what I want to know is why are they a tiny bit below the floor of the train

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Pretty sure on deep tubes that have them they're level? What stations/lines have you had problems with?

I still don't understand why the whole platform can't be done... surely isn't that expensive?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The humps cost around a million pounds each and can be completed in a short shut-down. Things on the platform need to be modified such as benches, and there are other platforms with low ceilings preventing this.

Even ignoring the cost and the time, only small parts of the train are accessible for wheelchairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.