• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

richie_8888

Hey guys,

My name is Richie and I am 19 from London. I want to be a professional train driver. However, I'm not so sure how to what steps I should take to make this possible, everywhere I check, its either confusion or different. I know I want to do this as my job. Can someone please point me in the right direction please.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Hey guys,

My name is Richie and I am 19 from London. I want to be a professional train driver. However, I'm not so sure how to what steps I should take to make this possible, everywhere I check, its either confusion or different. I know I want to do this as my job. Can someone please point me in the right direction please.

Thank you

You need to go in train operating companies websites and apply for trainee driver vacancies when they come up. You need to be 21 to drive but that's not to say you cant train at 20. Research the role and the company you apply for as there will be tough competition.

Use this forum for guidance and also vacancies are often posted in this section.

Best of luck

Nkay11

Hi mate.

You'll need to be at least 21 to actually be a train driver but may be able to train beforehand.
Peoples opinions vary but if i were you, i'd try and get my foot in the door and get a position with the company you want to be a driver for. Maybe a platform job or something?

I did this when i was 20 and i've been working on the railway for a few years now. The right position at the right location has come up and i am now awaiting a start date so it worked for me and many others i know ????????????

Good luck ????????????

Last edited:
The other reason to get a different job before driving is to see what is actually right for you, many people have a look at the driving job from an internal POV and see that it's not all rosy.

Rail is a diverse, fascinating industry at times, don't aim just for the front seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.