• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Karmel

As i have stated there is nothing to even tap on
That does not help you even when you are stopped by officer for the first time - it is your responsibility to check and make sure you have a valid ticket for entire distance of your journey. When using Oyster card you do agree to its Terms and Conditions and you must check where to and from you are allowed to use it.

The fact that you've been told that and you still done the same thing the very next day - does not help you here.

Just wait for the letter and take it from there. We don't know what action Southeastern will take on you. Come back to us with what they write to you. Bear in mind that letter might arrive anytime between tomorrow and December.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kazkaan

That does not help you even when you are stopped by officer for the first time - it is your responsibility to check and make sure you have a valid ticket for entire distance of your journey. When using Oyster card you do agree to its Terms and Conditions and you must check where to and from you are allowed to use it.

The fact that you've been told that and you still done the same thing the very next day - does not help you here.

Just wait for the letter and take it from there. We don't know what action Southeastern will take on you. Come back to us with what they write to you. Bear in mind that letter might arrive anytime between tomorrow and December.
Why till December?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So if comes late I will go to court?

Is it possible they will not pursue at all?
I think in your case they will pursue either a settlement or a court case. You should wait for the letter, which can take up to six months to arrive, but is more usually a few weeks to a couple of months.

Kazkaan

I think in your case they will pursue either a settlement or a court case. You should wait for the letter, which can take up to six months to arrive, but is more usually a few weeks to a couple of months.
Okay. Thank you.

SteveM70

Established Member

Others on here are far more expert than I am, but the sequence of events will be that they’ll write to you asking for your recollections of what happened (to which you should reply promptly, succinctly and honestly, and not spin them a sob story).

They’ll then decide what they want to do next. That is very unlikely to be “nothing”, they’ll either offer an “administrative settlement” (ie you can pay a sum of money to make it all go away) or they’ll decide to prosecute. I don’t know this TOC well so can’t comment on the relative likelihood of each of the above

T-Karmel

So if comes late I will go to court?

No, the company might just take long if they're short of staff and receive a lot of cases. Whatever time it will arrive, they still might offer you settlement. You will only find out when it arrives.

It is possible that they will not pursue at all, but it's highly unlikely. That would only happen if Officer drop the case, or Officer right the report with mistakes and Prosecutions decide to drop the case (Officers are well trained in writing reports correctly), or the company will take 6 months before they look into your case hence it will expire before they take any action.

You'd have to be very lucky for any of this to happen.

Kazkaan

No, the company might just take long if they're short of staff and receive a lot of cases. Whatever time it will arrive, they still might offer you settlement. You will only find out when it arrives.

It is possible that they will not pursue at all, but it's highly unlikely. That would only happen if Officer drop the case, or Officer right the report with mistakes and Prosecutions decide to drop the case (Officers are well trained in writing reports correctly), or the company will take 6 months before they look into your case hence it will expire before they take any action.

You'd have to be very lucky for any of this to happen.
I'm confused in regards to what to write in the letter because one person said i should just apologize and take responsibility another person said i should tell the story. what is the appropriate way to respond the letter if it comes?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
@Kazkaan I think that you need to have a conversation with your parents. I know this will be awkward but as the train company have your name and address (assuming you gave the correct details?), this is not going to go away.

If, and only if the train company give you an opportunity to pay in order to avoid a court case (and possible prosecution), how are you going to pay them? The amount is likely to be over £100 (maybe up to £300).

Once again, this isn't going to go away, so I would advise a conversation with your parents sooner rather than later

Kazkaan

@Kazkaan I think that you need to have a conversation with your parents. I know this will be awkward but as the train company have your name and address (assuming you gave the correct details?), this is not going to go away.

If, and only if the train company give you an opportunity to pay in order to avoid a court case (and possible prosecution), how are you going to pay them? The amount is likely to be over £100 (maybe up to £300).

Once again, this isn't going to go away, so I would advise a conversation with your parents sooner rather than later
Okay Thank you very much for the advice.

If anyone else has a point of view or any more advice please respond

londonteacher

I was running late and need to get on the train
Being honest with you, that is no excuse. Leave earlier. The fact that you were caught twice suggests that you do this regularly. Quite unacceptable to be honest from their point of view. I suppose SE could prove this by looking at CCTV at the station to see if you touch out.

As has been stated Northfleet is not in the Oyster zone so you still wouldn't have held a valid ticket and could be prosecuted by SE or Thameslink.

When they write to you respond in the way that has been suggested with your version of events, but ultimately, don't try and fight it as you are in the wrong!

gray1404

Established Member
Did the person you spoke to take your details on the first day you were stopped? Of course if you intended on paying cash for your journey you cannot be guilty of an offence of not buying a ticket as the ticket office was closed.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Of course if you intended on paying cash for your journey you cannot be guilty of an offence of not buying a ticket as the ticket office was closed.
We already know this person did not intend to pay cash and that they proferred their Oyster when asked for their ticket.

Kazkaan

Did the person you spoke to take your details on the first day you were stopped? Of course if you intended on paying cash for your journey you cannot be guilty of an offence of not buying a ticket as the ticket office was closed.
Yes he did

We already know this person did not intend to pay cash and that they proferred their Oyster when asked for their ticket.
That was on the first day

Being honest with you, that is no excuse. Leave earlier. The fact that you were caught twice suggests that you do this regularly. Quite unacceptable to be honest from their point of view. I suppose SE could prove this by looking at CCTV at the station to see if you touch out.

As has been stated Northfleet is not in the Oyster zone so you still wouldn't have held a valid ticket and could be prosecuted by SE or Thameslink.

When they write to you respond in the way that has been suggested with your version of events, but ultimately, don't try and fight it as you are in the wrong!
I am not going to fight it I understand I was wrong in the situation

njr001

The OP states that he normally takes a bus to school a quick search shows that you need to take two buses changing in Dartford where oyster would be valid. Assuming I’m right I suggest the OP downloads his Oyster history to support his claim that he normally takes a bus

londonteacher

The OP states that he normally takes a bus to school a quick search shows that you need to take two buses changing in Dartford where oyster would be valid. Assuming I’m right I suggest the OP downloads his Oyster history to support his claim that he normally takes a bus
Will make absolutely no difference.

Kazkaan

What’s the OP

What’s the OP
Don’t worry I’ve realised I’m the OP

Will make absolutely no difference.
Why wouldn’t it?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
We don't know what SouthEastern might say/do. They could go straight to prosecution seeing the OP has boarded a train without a ticket on two consecutive occasions

No point in proffering any other advice until the OP gets the letter and comes back here for further assistance

Kazkaan

We don't know what SouthEastern might say/do. They could go straight to prosecution seeing the OP has boarded a train without a ticket on two consecutive occasions

No point in proffering any other advice until the OP gets the letter and comes back here for further assistance
What do you mean it can go straight to prosecution? Do you mean there’s no chance of an Out of Court settlement?

T-Karmel

What do you mean it can go straight to prosecution? Do you mean there’s no chance of an Out of Court settlement?
He said that they could go straight to prosecution. Yes, they could. It doesn't mean that they will do it.

Don't worry (though easier said than done). Try not to overthinking it. You will only know what they will offer to you once you receive the letter. It might come with settlement offer.

Settlement is still possible even after they take you to court, there's been cases of people settling out of court literally outside the court on the court day.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
At this stage they may prosecute, they may offer to settle. We don't know, I'm afraid it's a waiting game till you hear something from them.

Kazkaan

He said that they could go straight to prosecution. Yes, they could. It doesn't mean that they will do it.

Don't worry (though easier said than done). Try not to overthinking it. You will only know what they will offer to you once you receive the letter. It might come with settlement offer.

Settlement is still possible even after they take you to court, there's been cases of people settling out of court literally outside the court on the court day.
Thank you for the help.

At this stage they may prosecute, they may offer to settle. We don't know, I'm afraid it's a waiting game till you hear something from them.
Thank you for the help

I have received the letter

Last edited:

CreamNCookies

All I am saying is that I would believe it if I saw a copy of the letter.

I suspect there are some anomalies with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.