• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

I'm still learning how to use the quote function properly, but Haywain posted advice given by someone else prior on the first page of this thread.

"
You are likely to receive a letter from the train company (or an investigation company acting on their behalf) which will probably take a few weeks to arrive saying that they have received a report, are considering prosecuting you and asking for your version of events. It is important that you engage with and reply to this letter. You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Most train companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this, and the train company is within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court, however harsh this may seem.

If you are offered a settlement the amount varies depending on the train company and circumstances but tend to be around a hundred pounds plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one."

That'll be a good start.

Kazkaan

I'm still learning how to use the quote function properly, but Haywain posted advice given by someone else prior on the first page of this thread.

"
You are likely to receive a letter from the train company (or an investigation company acting on their behalf) which will probably take a few weeks to arrive saying that they have received a report, are considering prosecuting you and asking for your version of events. It is important that you engage with and reply to this letter. You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Most train companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this, and the train company is within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court, however harsh this may seem.

If you are offered a settlement the amount varies depending on the train company and circumstances but tend to be around a hundred pounds plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one."

That'll be a good start.
I understand but I want to make sure I get the wording right

zwk500

Veteran Member
I understand but I want to make sure I get the wording right
Feel free to post a version (leaving out any personal info) of your letter back to SE here, people will be able to give specific advice on wording then.

gray1404

Established Member
As you have received a letter from South Eastern already it is vital you reply to it promptly. I am going to offer the following suggested reply to you. The letter you received related to travel on Tuesday 25 May 2021, which was the second day you were stopped. It appears the first day you were stopped was on Monday 24 May 2021. So the suggested reply below relates to the incident on Tuesday 25 May 2021 only.

Dear Sir/Madam

CASE REF: [INSERT YOUR CASE REFERENCE HERE]

I am writing in reply to your recent letter regarding my journey on 25 May 2021. I would like to apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I arrived at the station without enough time to buy a ticket and there was a queue at the ticket machine and the ticket office was closed. I therefore boarded the train without a ticket intending to pay enroute. I now know this was the wrong action to take and I apologise for this. I assure you in future I shall ensure I have a valid ticket before travelling and arrive at the station in good time.

I would like to pay the fare due for my journey plus the costs you have incurred in dealing with this matter. I am sure you will understand my desire to avoid legal action and the consequences of such. I would therefore ask that you please offer an Out of Court Settlement to close the matter?

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]

There is an argument, if you intended paying for your ticket using cash, that South Eastern did not provide an opportunity for you to pay before travel as the ticket office was closed and the ticket machine only accepts cards. However, I have suggested the above letter in the hope they may provided you with a settlement. We do not know if they will still write to you about your journey on Monday 24 May 2021. However, there is little you can do at the moment other then wait and see then respond at that time.

Finally, you need to get this letter into the post to them urgently. Saturday morning would be ideal but Tuesday (due to the bank holiday) at the very latest and ensure you use First Class post as a minimum.

skyhigh

Established Member
There is an argument, if you intended paying for your ticket using cash, that South Eastern did not provide an opportunity for you to pay before travel as the ticket office was closed and the ticket machine only accepts cards.
Which isn't much use if the OP told the inspector that they didn't buy a ticket because they were in a rush - it makes it quite clear they were intending to pay with a method the ticket machine would have accepted.

Kazkaan

As you have received a letter from South Eastern already it is vital you reply to it promptly. I am going to offer the following suggested reply to you. The letter you received related to travel on Tuesday 25 May 2021, which was the second day you were stopped. It appears the first day you were stopped was on Monday 24 May 2021. So the suggested reply below relates to the incident on Tuesday 25 May 2021 only.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in reply to your recent letter regarding my journey on 25 May 2021. I would like to apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I arrived at the station without enough time to buy a ticket and there was a queue at the ticket machine and the ticket office was closed. I therefore boarded the train without a ticket intending to pay enroute. I now know this was the wrong action to take and I apologise for this. I assure you in future I shall ensure I have a valid ticket before travelling and arrive at the station in good time.

I would like to pay the fare due for my journey plus the costs you have incurred in dealing with this matter. I am sure you will understand my desire to avoid legal action and the consequences of such. I would therefore ask that you please offer an Out of Court Settlement to close the matter?

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]

There is an argument, if you intended paying for your ticket using cash, that South Eastern did not provide an opportunity for you to pay before travel as the ticket office was closed and the ticket machine only accepts cards. However, I have suggested the above letter in the hope they may provided you with a settlement. We do not know if they will still write to you about your journey on Monday 24 May 2021. However, there is little you can do at the moment other then wait and see then respond at that time.

Finally, you need to get this letter into the post to them urgently. Saturday morning would be ideal but Tuesday (due to the bank holiday) at the very latest and ensure you use First Class post as a minimum.
Thank you I have already sent the letter

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply?

iuwais

Dear Sir/Madam

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]

I'm in the same boat here. how do i ask them to keep the charges as low as possible.

londonteacher

I'm in the same boat here. how do i ask them to keep the charges as low as possible.
I'm not sure you can ask for that but someone with a better understanding will clarify. Asking for that in my opinion might not go well with the company who consequently could go straight to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.