• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Polar Express 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasky

Does anyone know when the Polar Express locos are due at Okehampton this year, or have I already missed their arrival?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Its interesting that this operation is still going on. A few years back the American Franchise owners wanted to move the Polar Express franchise up market.
Some of the Premier league Pres line and at least one of championship lines general and sales managers were invited on an all expenses paid trip to the states to see the operation there and to be offered allegedly lucrative contracts. Presumably they didn't find any takers.

47828 lives there now, that can heat. Have heard one other loco will turn up

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Supposed to be happening again...

I managed to get a seat in the fairly derelict cab of the old third rail driving car behind the Peak (not sure what unit it used to belong to, was it a CEP?), it was painted green and the cab was full of flies.
I got a photo of the Polar Express destination at Meldon when I went past. It looked pretty bleak :D
Everyone was having a chuckle at the forlorn looking little buildings and plastic reindeer surrounded by a massive industrial quarry full of ruined buildings and rusting abandoned machinery.
I suppose it's alright in the dark with all the fairy lights on...

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 106

headshot119

Established Member
Its interesting that this operation is still going on. A few years back the American Franchise owners wanted to move the Polar Express franchise up market.
Some of the Premier league Pres line and at least one of championship lines general and sales managers were invited on an all expenses paid trip to the states to see the operation there and to be offered allegedly lucrative contracts. Presumably they didn't find any takers.

It's not surprising at all that it's still going on. It's a massive money maker, and extremely profitable for the company.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the American Franchise Owners (Unless you refer to British American Railway Services). Warner Brothers license the rights to Polar Express, similar to how "Day out with Thomas" is licensed by Mattel to railways who operate it.

alexl92

Established Member
It's not surprising at all that it's still going on. It's a massive money maker, and extremely profitable for the company.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the American Franchise Owners (Unless you refer to British American Railway Services). Warner Brothers license the rights to Polar Express, similar to how "Day out with Thomas" is licensed by Mattel to railways who operate it.

Is it Mattel now, not HiT entertainment? Is that why railways are able to run Thomas days again?

headshot119

Established Member
Is it Mattel now, not HiT entertainment? Is that why railways are able to run Thomas days again?

Railways where always able to run Day Out With Thomas events under HiT entertainment banner. Where on earth you got that from I don't know.

HiT was bought out by Mattel a couple of years back so they now control the licenseing.

paul1609

Established Member

I believe the franchise is organised by Rail Events Inc. I see from their website the Telford Steam Railway has joined. The franchise holders were looking to take the Polar Express in to the premier league a few years back and ditching the diesel operations as I understood it.

Devonman2014

The dartmoor locomotives are due down tomorrow (Friday 18th Nov) on a move from Barrow Hill arriving in the SW in the late dark evening.

Is it the 33 and 45 again ?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
The dartmoor locomotives are due down tomorrow (Friday 18th Nov) on a move from Barrow Hill arriving in the SW in the late dark evening.

Is it the 33 and 45 again ?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R41229/2016/11/18/advanced
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

not updated since 1705, any problems with traction, now updated. Shame it's dark and heavy rain would've like to seen it

Last edited:

Dhassell

Probably gone via Worle/Bridgwater instead of Westbury. Wish I knew they had been diverted! :p

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What took these to the Dartmoor railway? I just heard something very meaty heading north past Cowley Bridge just now (23:49).

wensley

Established Member
*** PHOTO CHARTER – WEARDALE RAILWAY ***

Friday 16th December, 2030hrs-2230hrs

Following conversations with the Weardale Railway I am pleased to be able to offer the chance to photograph 47712 (ScotRail Stripe), 47192 (BR Green) and a third guest loco (details TBC) at Stanhope Station on the Mk2 stock currently in use for the railway’s Polar Express services.

It is planned that a variety of angles will be lit with, each of the locos posed at the head of the train, in suitable positions around the station. This event will take place following the arrival of the last Polar Express service of the evening.

Whilst the railway is not traditionally known for enthusiast events they are keen to offer this opportunity and it would be great to see a good turnout.

Price per person will be £30, with all proceeds going towards the continued upkeep and operation of the railway. Spaces will be limited to ensure all attending are able to make the most of each scene.

To express your interest and for more details please contact [email protected].

I look forward to seeing as many of you there as possible!

Thanks,
Jonathon

theblackwatch

Established Member
Looks like there's a legal battle going on over the water regarding royalty payments....

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2017/02/27-ip-lawsuit

DURANGO, Colo. — Rail Events Inc., the company which licenses Polar Express events, is suing Iowa Pacific Holdings for unpaid royalties.

Attorneys for Rail Events allege in court filings in Colorado that Iowa Pacific has failed to pay royalties on events hosted on several of the railroads that it operates as subsidiaries, including the Texas State Railroad in Rusk, Texas; the Saratoga & North Creek Railroad in North Creek, N.Y.; and two railroads in the United Kingdom, among others.

BestWestern

Established Member
I believe the franchise is organised by Rail Events Inc. I see from their website the Telford Steam Railway has joined. The franchise holders were looking to take the Polar Express in to the premier league a few years back and ditching the diesel operations as I understood it.

It's a shame they didn't. I did the Polar last year and, while better than I expected, there were some rather obvious areas for improvement. Having a trainload of families with small children stood in the freezing cold for half an hour before it boarded wasn't great, but the biggest let down (even as a crank!) was the use of a pair of diesel locos. The 47 was clearly visible attached to the train to everyone in the car park. There was also the inevitable grotty Virgin liveried MK2 in the formation, again clearly on display. Given that the opening scene (and the most impressive part) of the film is a thumping great big steam loco thundering down the street, I'd hoped there would be a tad more drama. Stick an unrebuilt Bullied on the front and run it into the platform, with a bit of whisle and dry ice. I have to say though, once on board it was very well done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.