• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police Officer to Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocosalty 13

Best career change I made. Spent 22yrs in WMP in supervisory roles also. Left and following a yrs training enjoying job and on more money than an Insp in police. Just concentrate, persevere and enjoy and don't look back. Think of the pensions at 60.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romneym335

awesome cheers guys. I've pretty much made up my mind now, just a waiting game until I can apply and go for it.

atochopefull

I'm in this boat too! I've had my attempts frustrated by missing out on interviews due to being on holiday (and not being able to return), and, most recently, not being able to make the stage 2 testing because it clashed with a court date! It's driving me nuts!

oxoneil

I'm in this boat too! I've had my attempts frustrated by missing out on interviews due to being on holiday (and not being able to return), and, most recently, not being able to make the stage 2 testing because it clashed with a court date! It's driving me nuts!

This was always a concern for me but throughout my process I always had a choice of dates to attend the different tests so always got away with rest days or times when I was on a late shift, I got lucky.

I've got court in March and hoping for a call for a medical soon (like, really hoping) so hope there is a little flexibility (if I get the call).

atochopefull

This was always a concern for me but throughout my process I always had a choice of dates to attend the different tests so always got away with rest days or times when I was on a late shift, I got lucky.

I've got court in March and hoping for a call for a medical soon (like, really hoping) so hope there is a little flexibility (if I get the call).

Are you through the rest of the recruitment process? Which TOC have you applied to? I'm waiting to see if they will rearrange my Stage 2, but what I'm finding is that if you miss the dates offered, your application gets put "on hold" and disappears into a black hole (or tunnel??) and then calls and emails to HR departments go unanswered and you risk p***ing them off!!

oxoneil

Are you through the rest of the recruitment process? Which TOC have you applied to? I'm waiting to see if they will rearrange my Stage 2, but what I'm finding is that if you miss the dates offered, your application gets put "on hold" and disappears into a black hole (or tunnel??) and then calls and emails to HR departments go unanswered and you risk p***ing them off!!

GWR, done everything bar medical, applied back in Nov 2013 so be prepared to be patient!

atochopefull

GWR, done everything bar medical, applied back in Nov 2013 so be prepared to be patient!

Good advice. How long have you been in the job for? I've done 13 years and time for a change. The cutbacks are making it too dangerous!

Junderhill

This thread has really helped me feel more confident with my application for Senior Conductor. I did three years with Warwickshire Police just over a decade ago, and am really hoping that experience will help my application and interview process.

Lgc76

Reading all of these has given me the boost to apply for trainee train driver. 11 years in the police, time for change. How have you got on with the pay cut?

W230

Established Member
Reading all of these has given me the boost to apply for trainee train driver. 11 years in the police, time for change. How have you got on with the pay cut?
I did 9 years but lack of career progression and constant cuts did it for me. Plus it really is a thankless task! Pay cut was fine. Had to tighten spending for 15 months but after that all was good. Never looked back!!:D

Lgc76

Thanks, it would be a massive drop in pay, think I'd need a Saturday job whilst training. I've just submitted my application, fingers crossed ��

scotraildriver

Established Member
Emergency services/forces backgrounds are becoming very much the norm now but not always. There is a class of 8 at ScotRail just now with 7 ex police and 1 ex postie. Another class has 5 ex military and 2 firemen. Retail backgrounds are also looked upon favourably as the job becomes more and more customer focused. Hang in there!

W230

Established Member
Thanks, it would be a massive drop in pay, think I'd need a Saturday job whilst training. I've just submitted my application, fingers crossed ��
Sadly a Saturday job wont be allowed so if you want in you'll have to face those few months without as much cash. Get saving now in advance if you can! We all had to do it but its definitely worth it. ??????

maccalad

Hi all, it is really interesting to read these comments about cops looking to leave the job and train to become train drivers.

I have just shy of 14 years service in the police, and I too am looking for a change, and train driver is something which interests me - I just like to plan my day out and deal with what comes along, and as long as I have my procedures to work to, I'm happy.

My only concern is the pay cut I'd have to take, from the £37k as a cop, to the £21k as a trainee driver, but I'm off-setting this against the fact that my nursery fees for my daughter, and our mortgage is as-good-as paid up.

I did apply to be a trainee driver in February at the Manchester stations, but I didn't get past the paper sift, but I feel that this was due to rushing the application form in order to meet the deadline, as I didn't see the job until last minute.

I keep looking out, but I need to be based at one particular station, because I am outside the commuting distance of all other stations.

I have been in contact with the HR of one TOC, and they will be going through an on-going recruitment process, and have advised me to keep monitoring their website.

I reckon as a cop, we have many transferable skills - communication, discipline, following rules/regs/procedures, decision making, working under pressure, customer service, to name but a few.

Reading this thread has inspired me to actually do some planning work around this in anticipation of the next round of advertisements for the role.

PaulO76

Hi all, after 15 years in the job I don't think I can take much more so am also looking to make the switch. I'm currently filling out an application and wondered if anyone can advise when the question asks for examples roughly how many should be given.

Silv1983

Hi all. I was a PC in GMP for 6 years, and after the destruction caused by Windsor and May - I left to be a Driver for Northern in 2012. Former bobbies usually make excellent drivers - so if any of you want further information about the role, pay, recruitment stages or lifestyle changes etc - feel free to give me a PM - and I'll be happy to help. There's quite a few of us 'ex-job' pounding the rails these days - we have quite a club going.

Junderhill

I was a PC with Warwickshire for three years over a decade ago. Seems this was still a sought after attribute when applying for a Conductor role. I'm about to qualify as a conductor after my first 14 weeks training, and am considering driving in the future.
Would appreciate any feedback on the impact of being a former PC when applying at driver level.

JohnFM

I was a PC with Warwickshire for three years over a decade ago. Seems this was still a sought after attribute when applying for a Conductor role. I'm about to qualify as a conductor after my first 14 weeks training, and am considering driving in the future.
Would appreciate any feedback on the impact of being a former PC when applying at driver level.

I would be more interested in why only three years as a Police Officer and what you've been doing since then.

Putting all of your expectations on being an ex police officer over ten years ago might make the interviewer wonder why your current job is not worthy of note.

Your current newly qualified conductor role is far, far more valuable for any future applications with a TOC, as long as you get some experience of being a conductor under your belt first before you apply for other roles.

PaulO76

Hi all, I wondered if anyone can tell me in relation to the interview are the questions they ask based around the ones answered in the application you've submitted or do they require further examples.

Many thanks

JohnFM

Hi all, I wondered if anyone can tell me in relation to the interview are the questions they ask based around the ones answered in the application you've submitted or do they require further examples.

Many thanks

Have other examples ready in case they want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.