• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2022 Conservative Leadership Election - Liz Truss chosen as party leader (and subsequent reshuffle)

Who should be the next Conservative leader?

• Kemi Badenoch - now eliminated

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • Suella Braverman - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt - now eliminated

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Penny Mordaunt - now eliminated

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 62 25.8%
  • Liz Truss

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Tom Tugendhat - now eliminated

Votes: 54 22.5%
  • Nadhim Zahawi - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
Why did Johnson and Truss go up to Scotland on separate private planes? It seems a bit of a waste, given the cost of living and climate concerns...

Gloster

Established Member
Why did Johnson and Truss go up to Scotland on separate private planes? It seems a bit of a waste, given the cost of living and climate concerns...

I have a vague feeling that there is a convention that the outgoing PM, going to tender his resignation, and the incoming one, going to kiss hands, do so separately. I don’t know why, but perhaps it is a long-standing attempt to make it seem as it isn’t all a stitch-up. Either that or Johnson is going to use the plane to take him on holiday again.

Gloster

Established Member
Or perhaps Truss felt it would be safer to travel on a different plane to Johnson.

Plane lands at Balmoral international Airport. Figure with tousled blonde hair emerges and says, “Unfortunately, Liz did find the way out this time. So I’ll just have to say on.” (Rees-Mogg nods approvingly as he can remember the Borgias using such methods.)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BBC said it’s standard practice when transporting dignitaries. Presumably incase there’s a plane crash…

DelayRepay

Established Member
It's not good optics is it, whatever the reason. Should have booked them both on the sleeper. Or just done it via a Zoom call.

I hope Johnson is funding his own flight back to London as he's no longer a member of the Government.

I do wonder if the Queen is really too immobile to leave Balmoral, or whether she has such contempt for Johnson that she thought she'd make him travel as far as possible on his last day.

sor

the more interesting thing is that neither of the flag-liveried Airbuses were used for this. There was a story about a "jolly" that was later explained to be a "maintenance flight" that had to happen by the 4th of Sept or there would be financial penalties, which suggests they aren't getting enough use out of them.

I also wonder why this couldn't have been done over a video call though.

nw1

Established Member
Ah fair enough.

And to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with your posting it. I was drawing attention the contrast between the way people complain about Tory bias in the press yet turn a blind eye to Labour bias - as evidenced by the replies to your post.

Ummmm.... The Mirror's 'Same Old Tories' headline was taken straight from an old Labour election poster. So unless you think that Labour electioneering material somehow counts as unbiased news....View attachment 120369

What fawning adulation? Did you actually check any other papers before writing that? I don't have access to the printed papers, but checking online, the Times is leading on 'Jonson bows out with swipe at rivals', the Telegraph on 'Boris Johson hands over baton in unexpected relay race', the Mail on Boris's 'This is it, Folks!', even the Express, arguably the most right-wing paper has the headline, 'Changed the Rules! Boris Johson in one final jab as he exits No10: That's it folks'. Generally they all seem to be factually reporting what has been happening - with the obvious exception of the Mirror's headline. Is there some national newspaper I've missed that is running the headline, 'Now let's all bow down and worship Liz Truss'? And if so, can you provide a link?

Was based on a TV news bulletin which appeared to display the front pages, the Times appeared to show "Let's get straight down to business" (or something similar) with a large picture of Truss, for example.

It appears @Typhoon has confirmed this was indeed the actual Times front cover.

Last edited:

dosxuk

Established Member
Normally it would just be a car drive over to the Palace, so it's not like there's any real precedence for doing it the way they have today.

nw1

Established Member
Are people not allowed to change their views after 28 more years of life and therefore experience?
Based on what she seems to say and do, she strikes me as someone who will do and say anything to please the people she's trying to please. In 1994, that was presumably the more radical wing of the Lib Dems.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
There are striking similarities with the career of Ms Merkel in Germany.

Both started with quite different political beliefs before becoming conservatives. Both were underestimated by old white men who formed the bulk of the party.

I wonder whether Ms Truss can last as long as Ms Merkel, nearly sixteen years at the top?

sor

Both started with quite different political beliefs before becoming conservatives. Both were underestimated by old white men who formed the bulk of the party.

I wonder whether Ms Truss can last as long as Ms Merkel, nearly sixteen years at the top?
that would also have been a result of proportional representation and coalition government as a norm, whereas we apparently prefer "strong and stable" governments under FPTP and the pendulum swinging back and forth between one extreme and the other

Lost property

It's not good optics is it, whatever the reason. Should have booked them both on the sleeper. Or just done it via a Zoom call.

I hope Johnson is funding his own flight back to London as he's no longer a member of the Government.

I do wonder if the Queen is really too immobile to leave Balmoral, or whether she has such contempt for Johnson that she thought she'd make him travel as far as possible on his last day.

I think it's known as karma....or a dish best eaten cold..or both in this case. Missing the Highland Games is a small price to pay when she's had to suffer Boris and his lies, both to herself and the nation, along with a reminder to Truss...you're only temporary...Nice move by Buck House really.

Acfb

Merkel was the head of the CDU for a few years before she fought the 2005 Bundestagswahl. She blew a huge opinion poll lead (like May) from a position of strength in a matter of weeks. She got lucky in office due to the SPD taking all the flack for the decisions that the Grand coalitions made although the 2013 election result was arguably impressive for the CDU/CSU. Ultimately she stayed around too long though (should have stood down in 2017 perhaps) and damaged the CDU/CSU in the longer run.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Based on what she seems to say and do, she strikes me as someone who will do and say anything to please the people she's trying to please. In 1994, that was presumably the more radical wing of the Lib Dems.

Yet she joined the Conservatives at just about the worst possible time to join them if you were motivated by ambition and trying to please people - when New Labour was at its heights and the Tories looked all but completely unelectable.

The LibDems have arguably become far more left-wing since the 1990s so it's not that surprising that someone who believes in free market economics would be attracted to them 25-30 years ago but would have moved to the Conservatives in the meantime. And of course there's the factor that 25 years is a long time to change your opinions on things. 25 years ago I believed stuff that today I'd probably be like, 'Uh??? How can anyone think that?'

There may well be lots of things you could criticise Liz Truss for, but I don't think moving on from some of the views she expressed in the 1990s is one of them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it is continuity of government and all that but personally I would have taken the risk. The Downing Street cat could run a better show than these clowns.

nw1

Established Member

2038?

So 28 consecutive years of Tory rule?

Please, please, no!!! And at least 5 years longer than Thatcher or Blair. God help us. Yes, really.
;)

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There may well be lots of things you could criticise Liz Truss for, but I don't think moving on from some of the views she expressed in the 1990s is one of them.
I have nothing but contempt for people who change sides, unless they join Labour obvs

If they were making me PM I would be very happy to go on my free executive jet to the other end of the country to see an elderly relative and have a chat and a cup of tea! I could then get on with sorting this country out.

nw1

Established Member
it is continuity of government and all that but personally I would have taken the risk. The Downing Street cat could run a better show than these clowns.
Indeed. And if you want someone who used to be an anti-monarchist and has recently become more right-wing, I'd prefer John "Johnny Rotten" Lydon in all honesty. I mean, I don't like his Trump support but has more going for him than most senior Tories.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Indeed. And if you want someone who used to be an anti-monarchist and has recently become more right-wing, I'd prefer John "Johnny Rotten" Lydon in all honesty. I mean, I don't like his Trump support but he has more going for him than most senior Tories.
I would prefer a mature, sensible adult tbh.

nw1

Established Member
I would prefer a mature, sensible adult tbh.

Well, indeed. Lydon would not be my first choice for PM, to put it mildly. But my suggestion that even that prominent Trump supporter would be less bad is testament to just how utterly awful Truss is.

jfollows

Established Member
A couple of things stand out.

Why would Javid accept Northern Ireland? Unless someone is totally deluded about their skills of diplomacy, it is a passport to high blood pressure, stress and burnout. At least 70% of politicians at Stormont will think the incumbent is totally wrong and making things ten times worse whatever they are proposing. There is more chance of succeeding as Brexit Opportunities minister (at least they are out of the limelight - I almost wrote something else, totally inappropriate under the circumstances).
The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-queen-cabinet-reshuffle-rishi-sunak-tories-) now reporting that Liz Truss is having problems filling posts at
Northern Ireland (Chris Heaton-Harries the latest to be asked, apparently Shailesh Vara is currently in the post but he appears to have been less visible than Boris Johnson these past months)
International Trade
Transport (so does this mean Grant Shapps sticks around?). Kemi Badenoch reportedly offered the post but thinks she can do better.
Education
Culture
Penny Mordaunt also holding out for a better post, but I don't know what she's been offered so far, if anything.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member

They're probably too paranoid someone will hack into it!

brad465

Established Member
This picture, from BBC news live has created plenty of metaphors:

1662482216653.png
(Image Description: Lectern outside No.10 with a bin bag over the microphone)

Status
Not open for further replies.