• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor ride quality on IETs: is it caused by the track or the trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
And the DLR. In fact that's got some of the most extreme hunting I've ever experienced.

Yes very much so. I know they had big difficulties finding a wheel profile which was an acceptable compromise between straight track on one hand, and their extreme curves on the other.

Not sure how they’ve managed to get round it, as it isn’t as bad now. Still not great though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuu

Established Member
I went to London today with GWR. I haven't done this journey for at least a year and on the way up I thought the ride was noticeably better than previously.

I'm on the way home now and it's appalling, jerking all over the place and banging on the stops at times. As bad as I can remember on a train

Is this just because of the maintenance cycle or are there some upgrades happening?

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Class 800 ride quality isn't great, but I don't know the reasons for this.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The bogies being lighter than previous rolling stock as well as the suspension adjustments makes a load of difference. The GWML has some of the best track quality on the network. The LNER ones ride better, though I don’t know why.

Worst ride quality hands down after the Pacers is the Renatus class 321. 90-100mph is horrible, you will be convinced you’re about to derail the carriage jerks left to right so hard and vibrates badly.

On Moderation
I’ve no issues at all with 80X ride quality which is superior to CAF and Pacer ride quality
CAF ride quality is appalling.
Pacer ride quality was appalling.
It’s not exactly a high bar, is it?

And for completeness, 80x ride quality is appalling. It’s significantly worse than a Mark 4, which themselves aren’t great.

Parallel

Established Member
I also took an IET from London to Bristol yesterday and noticed the ride quality seemed to be very bad, lots of jerky movements (one of which nearly caused the Train Manager to fall over) with loud bangs coming from the sides of the carriages often too. They are quite rough riding usually but yesterday seemed particularly bad.

irish_rail

On Moderation
I think the quality of the track is playing a large part here and it just happens that 80x are the trains running fast over increasingly poorly maintained infrastructure. Its funny, since the industrial dispute started it seems to be getting significantly worse in my experience.

The Severn Tunnel was particularly noisy on my train this week, don't remember that being such an issue before.

stuu

Established Member
I think the quality of the track is playing a large part here and it just happens that 80x are the trains running fast over increasingly poorly maintained infrastructure.
I don't see how that can be right. There was an enormous difference in the two units I travelled on, noticeable a lot of the time. The track can't all be much worse in one direction than the other

Mzzzs

The quality of the ride seems to be varied depending on which units you are on from what I have been told the Italian-made units are the worst units for ride quality and all over for build quality. The British-made units seem to have a much better quality of ride.

superalbs

Established Member
That seems to be exactly the case. On some even engines sound smoother.
I've had one unit that was incredibly smooth, the rest very bad, and a couple exceptionally bad.

And same with the engines, even when new. Some are fairly quiet, others are unbearably loud.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The quality of the ride seems to be varied depending on which units you are on from what I have been told the Italian-made units are the worst units for ride quality and all over for build quality. The British-made units seem to have a much better quality of ride.

That’s wibble. The 800 and 802 units are equally rough on GWR. Same components requiring attention or changing out, at the approximately the same mileages.

On Moderation
That’s wibble. The 800 and 802 units are equally rough on GWR. Same components requiring attention or changing out, at the approximately the same mileages.
Given that their ride has been rubbish from day 1, that’s not components. It’s just a poor design.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Given that their ride has been rubbish from day 1, that’s not components. It’s just a poor design.

I didn’t say why the components needed changing out! There are a number of elements in the 800/802 units that appear to have been designed for a too perfect operating environment.

fgwrich

Established Member
I still find that the worst riding vehicles are those with the lightweight skateboard bogies - not only do they seem to give the roughest of rides, but also noticeable oscillation in those vehicles at high speed.

Martin_1981

I've had a couple of trips from Westbury to Exeter recently on a Class 800 and 802 and neither were particularly smooth rides. A 45 year old HST gives a far smoother ride, even an XC voyager is a smoother ride than an IET.

Status
Not open for further replies.