• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poor Treatment Of Evening Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn't the job of the NRM, that's something one might expect the Disney Organisation to fund!

Surely all museums place the most emphasis on their biggest exhibits; its hardly 'disney' stuff - this is why Mallard is placed where it is in the Great Hall, and why Flying Scotsman is being restored to the mainline.

Not only does running the most famous steam loco in the world fulfill the promise the museum made when it asked for money to buy it, but it will advertise the NRM, raise much-needed funds to help repay the money already spent and promote preserved and mainline steam just like Tornado has done with such success over the last year. Its win-win.

2) How does a flangleless centre driving wheel prevent a 9F using crossovers? They always used to, so what's changed?

Track Geometry has changed; modern checkrails on points, sharp curves etc generally extend above the height of the rail.

Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vulcan

And that's precisely why it's questionable that the NRM should be spending a vast portion of their buget on it. It is not a significant locomotive. It is by no means certain it was the first to do 100mph and even if it is, that doesn't make it significant. NRM have been caught up in a 'Thomas the Tank Engine' syndrome with 4472 - they are restoring it because people who know nowt about railways think it is a famous engine. That isn't the job of the NRM, that's something one might expect the Disney Organisation to fund!

4472 has always been a money pit. My fear is that it is sucking up NRM funds at such a rate that other stuff they should really be doing will not get done.

How is it not a significant engine? Not only is it a national icon, Its got as much claim to the 100mph record as City of Truro, and on top of all that its the last remaining A3. Are you suggesting the NRM scrap it?

You clearly didn't read my post fully. As I said, Flying Scotsman is a national icon, and fully deserves to be on the mainline.
What makes you say its a scrapheap? By the time they have taken for this rebuild I (which one assumes is being used doing the job properly), 4472 should be as good as the day it was rolled out of Doncaster works.

they should leave the mainline stuff to proper reliable engines like the King,Tangmere,73096 etc

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

Yes, 73096 is really reliable! Pity it's in a shed with only one cylinder isn't it?

And how is Flying Scotsman not reliable? You can't say that until it has run.

Vulcan

they should leave the mainline stuff to proper reliable engines like the King,Tangmere,73096 etc

Well thats the point of rebuilding it, to make it a reliable mainline engine. You don't think the King, Tangmere, 73096 etc just appeared out of nowhere one day as reliable engines with no problems? I'm sure you said somewhere on here you were involved with 6024, so I would have thought you'd have more of an insight into the problems of making a steam engine work.

CosherB

Established Member
How is it not a significant engine? Not only is it a national icon, Its got as much claim to the 100mph record as City of Truro, and on top of all that its the last remaining A3. Are you suggesting the NRM scrap it?

It's only a national icon in the same way that non-motorcyclists think Harley Davidsons are the top icon of motorcycles.

Scrap it? Of course not. It's a bit late now, but theys should have learned the lessons from all previous owners whose fingers it has burned finance-wise, and simply restored it to static exhibit standard.

Vulcan

Scrap it? Of course not. It's a bit late now, but theys should have learned the lessons from all previous owners whose fingers it has burned finance-wise, and simply restored it to static exhibit standard.

How boring, and like I said before, we need Scotsman to correct the balance of working big four top link locos on the mainline. Also, its had a more interesting career then any other steam engine could dream of, just look at it's wikipedia entry for a list of all the things its done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A3_4472_Flying_Scotsman

It's only a national icon in the same way that non-motorcyclists think Harley Davidsons are the top icon of motorcycles.

I agrree

The loco was operational when put up for sale - can you imagine the outcry if they'd proposed to just stuff and mount it? That simply wasnt an option. At least by doing a proper job now they can have 10 years of reliable service to claw the money back; just look how well Tornado is doing.

Chris

The loco was operational when put up for sale - can you imagine the outcry if they'd proposed to just stuff and mount it? That simply wasnt an option. At least by doing a proper job now they can have 10 years of reliable service to claw the money back; just look how well Tornado is doing.

Chris

tornado doesn't have a soul through,

FlyingScot Quote:
Originally Posted by 6024
Flying Scrapheap

What did flying scotsman ever do to you. Leave it alone.

so i'm not allowed to voice my opinion then ?

FlyingScot

tornado doesn't have a soul through,

FlyingScot Quote:
Originally Posted by 6024
Flying Scrapheap

What did flying scotsman ever do to you. Leave it alone.

so i'm not allowed to voice my opinion then ?

Yes but your opinion hurt my feelings.:cry:

Dampflok

Hmm, not certain about that. I think she had a makeover at crew in the late 60s to repair the shunt damage she had suffered in an accident. She nearly got cut up (or sold off to the yanks) because she was refused a place on the preservation register because BR W wouldnt pay to repair the damage. Crewe (I think) to its credit did the job itself Photographs of the work seem to show her paint stripped off, though it might be original in the cab area.
92220 did have a makeover at Crewe works, though to what extent I don't know. Here's a shot taken in the then new paintshop at Crewe (replacing the original paintshop) in October 1967 after the loco was repainted:

http://www.geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p43185987.html

Cheers, Geoff

CosherB

Established Member
92220 did have a makeover at Crewe works, though to what extent I don't know. Here's a shot taken in the then new paintshop at Crewe (replacing the original paintshop) in October 1967 after the loco was repainted:

http://www.geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p43185987.html

Cheers, Geoff

Ah yes! No there's a loco that should have lots of TLC! Top marks for being a 9F (the second best ever steam loco - the first being a Coronation Pacific of course), and even topper marks for being the last BR steam loco. What a combination!

Vulcan

and now I hear Mallard is off to Shildon! I hope they look after it and give it the star treatment it deserves better then they do for Green Arrow. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.