• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portable rail ticket dispensing machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

kizzyboi

Hi guys,
I got on a train at Bearsted, Kent going up to London Victoria.
I hadn't got a ticket because its an unmanned station and its permit to travel machine didnt work.
As i got on the train i made myself known to the conductor so he was aware i needed a ticket.
He came down the train and i went to pay for my ticket by my Debit Card knowing i had the cash on my card to pay for it.
My card was declined.
Tried again.
Again it was declined.
So the Conductor told me to wait till i get to my station.
As i got of the Train at London Victoria i got stopped by revenue protection officers who penalty fared me for not having a ticket.
I explained and they said they didnt care.
I have since appealed the decision and won the case.
But im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before because the card machines on trains decline a card.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Cards getting declined on board is very common indeed as some cards won't allow offline transactions. You were incorrectly penalty fared and rightly had your appeal upheld.

kizzyboi

To a point i could understand why i was penalty fared because i had no ticket to travel but he wouldnt even let me try to buy a ticket at victoria

island

Veteran Member
Sounds like the right outcome in the end.

There are multiple threads about Visa debit cards which don't behave well offline.

Brucey

When I lived in Bristol and used to buy at the gateline, I always started off: "Hi, I've just arrived from Redland which doesn't have a ticket machine and would like to buy x". Prevented any stupid questions or threats of penalty fares and always worked a treat.

ian13

When I lived in Bristol and used to buy at the gateline, I always started off: "Hi, I've just arrived from Redland which doesn't have a ticket machine and would like to buy x". Prevented any stupid questions or threats of penalty fares and always worked a treat.

Bristol Temple Meads staff are pretty good with issuing from local stations (as they should be!)

Regarding card payment, it's not your fault that the machine didn't like your card* - you should have been offered the chance to pay at your destination, and not penalty fared. Pleased to hear your appeal was upheld.

*Some Visa Debit cards, don't allow for 'offline' transactions, or impose unknown limits as to quantity. Additionally, sometimes they just reject for no apparent reason.

34D

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.