• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

37201xoIM

Signs have also appeared at Manchester Vic at the east ends of platforms 3 to 6, which read "class 769 power changeover diesel Stalybridge Newton Heath". Presumably not for use in the near future as Southport - Alderley Edge will be the first route to get 769s. The above posts suggests they have been there for a month. Odd though that I don't recall seeing similar changeover signs for class 802.
Is that perhaps because changeover for 802s is done with those balise things, but it's manual on 769s? I stand to be corrected though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Orange

On Moderation
May 2021 is my bet - for there to be news that we may see 769s in service in time for the December 2021 timetable change.

Joking aside, with the changes to franchises taking place, how sure can we be that routes such as Southport to Alderley Edge will still be with us?

37201xoIM

May 2021 is my bet - for there to be news that we may see 769s in service in time for the December 2021 timetable change.

Joking aside, with the changes to franchises taking place, how sure can we be that routes such as Southport to Alderley Edge will still be with us?
A very valid point if we are looking to recast service patterns to reduce the burden on e.g. Castlefield corridor and help performance recover, pending infrastructure investment to increase capacity.

plugwash

Established Member
Particular routes may come and go, but I think there will always be routes around manchester which are partially electrified and therefore where bi-modes are useful.

Bob Price

769434 was seen passing through Crewe last night heading from Crewe to Carnforth on 5Q32

OTRail

Is there any estimate as to when these trains will enter service or are there further delays?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Is there any estimate as to when these trains will enter service or are there further delays?

Could do a TPE Mk3 and just run one service to say that they ran in revenue in 2020. Wednesday 30th of December in the evening, Alderley Edge to Southport and return.

scrapy

Established Member
Apparently some driver training has commenced but no trains can run in passenger service until the dispute with ASLEF over cab air conditioning is resolved, by which time many of the drivers who were trained first will likely be out of competency! You couldn't make it up.

OTRail

In all honesty the project’s becoming a bit of an embarrassment - would’ve been better to order a new fleet of bi-modes imo.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
In all honesty the project’s becoming a bit of an embarrassment - would’ve been better to order a new fleet of bi-modes imo.

Yeah right then you would've had luxuries such as air-conditioning and 4 proper-length carriages. A 319/769 is only just superior to a 323 in terms of capacity.

Roger B

Yep, a follow-on Stadler order would be great, if it can be economically configured for urban operations. Probably good for Berkshire/Surrey and South Wales services as well.

On Moderation
Yep, a follow-on Stadler order would be great, if it can be economically configured for urban operations. Probably good for Berkshire/Surrey and South Wales services as well.
TfW already have Stadler sets on order for South Wales. Agreed they would be good for Northern’s electro-diesel requirement.

Bob Price

You can have our 769's once the Stadlers arrive. At least they are driver training at the moment.

TfW already have Stadler sets on order for South Wales. Agreed they would be good for Northern’s electro-diesel requirement.
I don't think there was a particular Bi-mode requirement for Northern was there? these seemed to be more on the basis of extra DMU capacity, so they could have just looked at ordering more 195's, that doesn't meat to say of course there aren't some routes where a Bi-mode would be useful as has been commented on many times.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think there was a particular Bi-mode requirement for Northern was there? these seemed to be more on the basis of extra DMU capacity, so they could have just looked at ordering more 195's, that doesn't meat to say of course there aren't some routes where a Bi-mode would be useful as has been commented on many times.

Aren't the TfW 769s supposed to be interim fleet and leave by the time all the new stock is delivered?

Aren't the TfW 769s supposed to be interim fleet and leave by the time all the new stock is delivered?
Indeed but I was referencing "43096" previous comment about an 'electro diesel' requirement for Northern, suggesting Stadler which is fine if they have such a requirement going forward but of course the 769 for Northern weren't really obtained out of a Bi-mode requirement just an extra DMU capacity requirement.

Last edited:

warwickshire

On Moderation
Any further information on northern 769 into service would be greatly appreciated. Heard rumours that some training is taking place at Wigan sidings and they might actually start in December 2020. Primarily on the southport to stalybridge services is this true or not. Also has been mentioned on Facebook as well so I have been informed. Anyone in the know??.

tornado

Does anyone know how the engine noise of the 769 compares to the 166 Turbos? I found a press release claiming the diesel motors were mounted on 2 layers of rubber so may be quieter in service than existing diesel-only stock.

Roger B

The ones destined for Northern are already in Northern’s livery...

Yep, sure are. Question is when can we expect to see one? It would be great if someone could share latest status (are all units delivered / accepted?), plans for driver training, and expected dates into service (ISTR Dec 20, May 21 and Dec 21 being suggested). Many thanks

Efini92

Established Member
Any further information on northern 769 into service would be greatly appreciated. Heard rumours that some training is taking place at Wigan sidings and they might actually start in December 2020. Primarily on the southport to stalybridge services is this true or not. Also has been mentioned on Facebook as well so I have been informed. Anyone in the know??.
ASLEF still have them blackballed. There is dribs and drabs of training taking place but as someone pointed out earlier, the majority that have trained them will probably end up needing retraining.