• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portslade/Hove to Axminster rtn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

I wonder whether someone with more know-how than I might take up this challenge.

It looks like £70.50 un-modified return, which I can get down to £56 by PLD - CLJ run plus CLJ - AXM return. Tried separating PLD - Brighton then BTN - CLJ, splitting at Gatwick.

Ideal times/dates are 6th June leave PLD at about 10:00, return from AXM about 11:00 on June 8th.

Many thanks - Morpethcurve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are you willing to be tied down to a particular train?

If so, you may wish to consider:

Portslade 0829 - Brighton 0838 £2.60 Anytime Day Single
Brighton 0849 - London Victoria 0942 £5 Advance
Victoria - Waterloo Oyster PAYG £2.30
London Waterloo 1220 - Axminster 1502 £10 Megatrain

Axminster 1506 - London Waterloo 1744 £10 Megatrain
Waterloo - Victoria Oyster PAYG £2.30
London Victoria 2016 - Portslade 2125 £5 Advance

Total: £37.20

The timings are not ideal but not too bad either. You could also save a bit more by leaving Brighton (hence Portslade) an hour later but the £5 fare goes up to £8. There is also an Advance fare for £5 from Portslade if you are willing to catch a train before 7am.

James Wake

Have you perhaps thought about going along the coast via Southampton, perhaps on the 0900 Brighton to Great Malvern train from Hove? I'll let some more experienced fares advisors see if there are any good fares that way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Currently is an £8.50 advance from Hove to Salisbury on the 0904 FGW service on Saturday, and on the 1402 coming back on Monday there is an £9.50 advance currently. That makes £18, an Off Peak Return Salisbury to Axminster is £30.20, total £48.20

paul1609

Established Member
Id go along the coast although its 2 changes its typically around 20 mins quicker than via Clapham junction in the down direction (changing at Fratton and Salisbury) and around the same back up (changing at Salisbury and Fareham). Split at Salisbury, Portslade to Salisbury Off peak return route barnham £28.80 and Salisbury to Axminster Off peak return £30.20 giving a total of £59.
If you havent got a railcard its worth considering purchasing a network card which is £30 and gives you 1/3 off off-peak fares in the southeast (includes Axminster) for 12 months.

Last edited:

Morpethcurve

Much appreciated. Of the two I would have done the south coast option, but would you believe it, she's ended up deciding to drive.

However, many thanks All for the research, and demonstrating to a less-than-frequent rail traveller what can be done with a little digging. Or in my case, a lot of digging.

Regards - Morpethcurve

Status
Not open for further replies.