• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Portsmouth Harbour-Cardiff Central GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Unfortunate number of cancellations today on the route. Weather related, I presume?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409_143024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_143024_Chrome.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20240409_143035_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_143035_Chrome.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20240409_143048_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_143048_Chrome.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20240409_143055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_143055_Chrome.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20240409_143107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240409_143107_Chrome.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 86
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like Friday commuting is booming again !

Just seen 1F06 Portsmouth - Cardiff at Bradford on Avon due 08:12 but 16 minutes late (formed 5cars, 165+166) and was about 90% full along whole train, middle seats were being used, clearly used as commuter service to Bath or Bristol.

Kind of suggests a 4car formation, or a 5car 158 would have had insufficient seats.

1F02, 1F04, 1F08, 1F10 are all formed of just 3cars today, and appears 1F14 is just a 2car 158 !
GWR really need to up their game in successfully getting DfT to allow more stock for regional trains in the Bristol area

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
1F02, 1F04, 1F08, 1F10 are all formed of just 3cars today, and appears 1F14 is just a 2car 158 !
GWR really need to up their game in successfully getting DfT to allow more stock for regional trains in the Bristol area

As you have already posted elsewhere GWR have started this process for procuring additional stock.

GWR have issued a pre-tender market engagement notice for fleet for its medium term fleet strategy

Snow1964

Established Member
Now seems GWR are opting for 2car, and reservations recommended between Cardiff-Bristol

Link is todays 1F13 allocated a pathetic 2car 158 with (unallocated) reservations : Reservations recommended between Cardiff Central and Bristol Temple Meads. Reservations available from Bristol Temple Meads.

They seem to have forgotten that many ticket offices served by this train do not open on a Sunday, so how is anyone supposed to add reservations

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Now seems GWR are opting for 2car, and reservations recommended between Cardiff-Bristol

Link is todays 1F13 allocated a pathetic 2car 158 with (unallocated) reservations : Reservations recommended between Cardiff Central and Bristol Temple Meads. Reservations available from Bristol Temple Meads.

They seem to have forgotten that many ticket offices served by this train do not open on a Sunday, so how is anyone supposed to add reservations

Reservations are counted place on this route I understand.

Most people buy GWR seat reservations online.

The saga of the shortage of stock on this route is well documented, GWR as you know is waiting for DfT procurement to whirr into action for fleet expansion.

Dai Corner

Established Member

The saga of the shortage of stock on this route is well documented, GWR as you know is waiting for DfT procurement to whirr into action for fleet expansion.
Are they going to limit the number of passengers without reservations boarding or chuck them off so there is room for those with?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Are they going to limit the number of passengers without reservations boarding or chuck them off so there is room for those with?

Counted places I understand allows a train to be shown as sold out so people are actively pointed away from travelling on it but not refused entry. I’m sure others have more detail on how it’s supposed to work.

paul1609

Established Member

but can still find sufficient stock for far less profitable obscure branch lines in the West Country, even reopening tourist routes on to the backend of dartmoor and routes in Bristol with no new stock charged against the project, hmmm

JonathanH

Veteran Member
but can still find sufficient stock for far less profitable obscure branch lines in the West Country, even reopening tourist routes on to the backend of dartmoor and routes in Bristol with no new stock charged against the project, hmmm
It is all unprofitable at some level. The routes in Bristol aren't running yet. Previous postings indicate that in theory GWR has enough stock for the timetable it is offering, but it isn't always in the right place or there are problems obtaining parts.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
...at a snail's pace...

Noticed that some of the 3-car 158s have been split recently to form more 2-car units.

Two of the three car sets were split in three two car sets a year ago.

The railway can’t to anything about the speed government departments work at now it is pseudo nationalised.

fgwrich

Established Member

If you think that most of the West Country branches are “far less profitable obscure branch lines” then more fool you I’m afraid. The Devon Metro, Falmouth branch and St Ives have been heaving in recent weeks, and as the weather gets warmer, will only increase for those that head to the coast (Falmouth has always been busy with the Univiersity campuses and Dockyard down there). They’re not some rural sleepy backwater type set up. Gunnislake you can’t really cancel as you’d struggle to get a bus to serve some of those stations, and the Devon Metro has remains busy too. The biggest problem here is that whilst IET reliability has been poor, everything else has to in effect cover for that too, and the cost cutting that led to the HSTs been withdrawn hasn’t helped the situation either. Keeping those on for a little longer = hitachi getting to grips on the IETs = DMUs not having to cover just about every available route in the South West and being able to strengthen the services they need to.

Two of the three car sets were split in three two car sets a year ago.

The railway can’t to anything about the speed government departments work at now it is pseudo nationalised.

958 (aka 776) has been running around as a two car of late and may well be staying that way, so another 2 x 2 cars looks likely to be formed. Noticeable at the moment for having a SWR or black coloured Air Dam and a generally more dirtier front end.

Snow1964

Established Member
Counted places I understand allows a train to be shown as sold out so people are actively pointed away from travelling on it but not refused entry. I’m sure others have more detail on how it’s supposed to work.
But on a route with lots of day returns and off peak returns, I too don't really understand how the sold out applies to these.

It certainly never seen out show as sold out on my local stations departure screens, but have have seen 2cars that are so crush loaded no one can get on.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
But on a route with lots of day returns and off peak returns, I too don't really understand how the sold out applies to these.

It certainly never seen out show as sold out on my local stations departure screens, but have have seen 2cars that are so crush loaded no one can get on.

I was referring to ticketing sites not departure screens. I understand it is simply to discourage people searching for a journey when the train is already known to be full.

You’re missing the point it’s just trying to discourage passengers who search for a journey to chose to travel on that particular train.

Plenty of countries such as Austria, Germany and Switzerland do this on journey planners too.

Snow1964

Established Member

So far this train has managed to take
3.5 minutes at Newport,
3 minutes at Filton Abbey Wood
and is 5 minutes late after 2 stops. Rather shows single 158s cannot manage to unload and load in booked platform times

Appears they added a second unit at Bristol, which delayed it further and now 7.5 minutes late.

I do wonder if a 2coach 158 that runs late and delays other trains is better option than no train provided.

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I do wonder if a 2coach 158 that runs late and delays other trains is better option than no train provided.

Of course it’s better to run it!!

The passengers that 2 car train carries wouldn’t just vanish into then air they’d crowd into the train in front or behind, likely causing station overtime on that service.

I know you have a huge issue with how the service is provided on this route, but the operator, GWR clearly isn’t happy either and is tendering for extra fleet, although this may get further delayed by the shut down of parliament by which time the desired rolling stock could have been leased abroad / scrapped.

GWR were told by the DfT to reduce their fleet size and unfortunately that has left this route short.

Towers

Established Member

The passengers that 2 car train carries wouldn’t just vanish into then air they’d crowd into the train in front or behind, likely causing station overtime on that service.

I know you have a huge issue with how the service is provided on this route, but the operator, GWR clearly isn’t happy either and is tendering for extra fleet, although this may get further delayed by the shut down of parliament by which time the desired rolling stock could have been leased abroad / scrapped.

GWR were told by the DfT to reduce their fleet size and unfortunately that has left this route short.
175s being leased abroad is an interesting thought! o_O

BrianW

Established Member

I'm with < Hamworthy Goods> on this; I would rather a train ran tha have to change my plans late on, maybe even aborting them.
The shambles is all due to government messing about 'playing trains as the Fat Controller'.
We can but hope that while nothing will happen during the 'purdah' this side of the General Election, that same general Election may provide a different approach- perhaps we will have conscripts doing 'customer service', or driving, or 'helping serve the public in some other vote-catching way?!!

Western Sunset

Established Member
I noticed 158958 running as a 3-car set at the end of March, but as only a 2-car one in the middle of May. Is this a temporary or permanent change?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I noticed 158958 running as a 3-car set at the end of March, but as only a 2-car one in the middle of May. Is this a temporary or permanent change?

It’s a temporary formation, will be back to a 3 car once the errant vehicle is repaired.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I'm with < Hamworthy Goods> on this; I would rather a train ran tha have to change my plans late on, maybe even aborting them.
The shambles is all due to government messing about 'playing trains as the Fat Controller'.
We can but hope that while nothing will happen during the 'purdah' this side of the General Election, that same general Election may provide a different approach- perhaps we will have conscripts doing 'customer service', or driving, or 'helping serve the public in some other vote-catching way?!!
I don't think that is actually correct.
From my recollection GWR should have put 19 class 769/9s into service last year on the Reading-Gatwick axis. This was to release a pile of 2 and 3 car Turbos, which were to augment the Cardiff-Portsmouth line. Depending on whose excuse you believe, the 769/9s were not accepted by GWR which is why the this service is regularly shortformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.