• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible combination of HS2 phase 2 with "rail north'

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I doubt that very much. Every km of tunnel reduced will save about £200m; new underground stations start at a billion for a 2 platform example.
I think you're actually agreeing rather than doubting me! Not sure where Burnham's tunnel goes but I can't see it saving more than about 1km, so you figures suggest the total will end up being a lot higher. Do you have figures for relative costs of cut and cover versus mined stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think you're actually agreeing rather than doubting me! Not sure where Burnham's tunnel goes but I can't see it saving more than about 1km, so you figures suggest the total will end up being a lot higher. Do you have figures for relative costs of cut and cover versus mined stations?

Cut and cover vs mined- “it depends”. Location, land value, how deep, etc. Old Oak Common is over a billion. And that’s just cut with no cover.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Cut and cover vs mined- “it depends”. Location, land value, how deep, etc. Old Oak Common is over a billion. And that’s just cut with no cover.
Thanks. With five platforms for HS2 plus some for NPR Piccadilly would be at least as big as OOC and possibly on more valuable land although most of it isn't in high-value use at present. I guess it would only be roofed over if the over-site development opportunity paid for it, hence this extra cost wouldn't fall to the station project itself. But we're still looking at well over a billion for a sub-surface station and it's pretty clear that would nullify any cost saving on the tunnel.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Thanks. With five platforms for HS2 plus some for NPR Piccadilly would be at least as big as OOC and possibly on more valuable land although most of it isn't in high-value use at present. I guess it would only be roofed over if the over-site development opportunity paid for it, hence this extra cost wouldn't fall to the station project itself. But we're still looking at well over a billion for a sub-surface station and it's pretty clear that would nullify any cost saving on the tunnel.
I expect that the DfT/Treasury will doggedly insist on the lower cost option of NPR trains reversing at Piccadilly. Additional, shorter, surface platforms alongside the HS2 platforms and a route heading east towards Guide Bridge.

If there were to be a major redesign of the Piccadilly HS2 station and Manchester tunnel, it would surely not be possible to expedite the hybrid bill for the 2b Manchester branch, as the government is planning.

MarkyT

Established Member
Hmmm. Straight into the low speed curve and flat junctions at Doncaster.
A speculative high-speed southern approach to Doncaster on the surface, attempting to avoid residential areas as far as possible but requiring significant industrial demolition and no doubt a major rebuild of the Balby Road (A630) overbridge and much of the station track layout:
hs2donnysouth.jpg

DimTim

Isn’t Piccadilly above street level & the tram uses the underCroft?
Could this be moved elsewhere and this level be used for the HS2 station rather than going further underground?

johnnychips

Established Member
A speculative high-speed southern approach to Doncaster on the surface, attempting to avoid residential areas as far as possible but requiring significant industrial demolition and no doubt a major rebuild of the Balby Road (A630) overbridge and much of the station track layout:
View attachment 74747

Unfortunately you have just demolished Pegler’s foundry and a lot of Bridon (cable factory) undercover storage. It looked good up to there! But in any case, any new link should join the ECML north of Doncaster to minimise conflicts at the station. I’m sure we can live with our existing 125 mph service to London in 1h 50 mins, and perhaps this needs moving to Speculative Ideas.

JamesT

Established Member
Isn’t Piccadilly above street level & the tram uses the underCroft?
Could this be moved elsewhere and this level be used for the HS2 station rather than going further underground?

If Piccadilly HS2 is going to be a through station, the approach from at least one direction is going to be in a tunnel. There doesn’t appear to be anywhere for it to rise out of a tunnel, so the only sane way is having the station down at that level.

DimTim

Was trying to think out of the box. The Mancunian Way was built above ground level as are many inner city roads & roads can have much steeper gradients to connect with other infrastructure. Bring the HS2 line up London Road under platform 13 & put the road above! Yes it would cause great disruption in construction but surely cheaper than tunnelling.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Was trying to think out of the box. The Mancunian Way was built above ground level as are many inner city roads & roads can have much steeper gradients to connect with other infrastructure. Bring the HS2 line up London Road under platform 13 & put the road above! Yes it would cause great disruption in construction but surely cheaper than tunnelling.

Its one of the main roads in the city centre for traffic. Its like suggesting you run tracks down Euston Road in London.

To me the most logical is to excavate a sub surface station box at Piccadilly, the land is already mostly clear, it has minimal impact on running services and the land is then available again to put a mall/small tower on top as well as surface transport options (buses, taxis). The new tram platforms will likely be relocated to street level on that side of the station. Particularly if the proposed bypass tunnel is built which offers a more direct route to the north of Piccadilly Gardens for Victoria bound trams and removes the bottleneck of the Piccadilly Gardens T junction.

Last edited:

NotATrainspott

Established Member
HS2 needs 400m platforms and wouldn't benefit at all from a through station.

NPR would only really need 200m platforms, and absolutely would need through running for it to make operational sense. The only reason you'd consider turning the trains back in a terminus platform is if you just wanted to add the minimum cost to deliver east-west routes on top of HS2 - which is the silly idea which I think has precipitated this review.

There's no reason you can't have separate stations at separate angles for HS2 and NPR. Until now, the tunnel from Davenport Green has been optimised for the approach to the terminus platforms, and not NPR or equivalent projects. If NPR is now as high or more of a priority than HS2 for Manchester, then why should this hold? An extra minute or two for the HS2 trains to reach their terminus via some narrower curve radius wouldn't matter much while a more optimal route and station for NPR in Manchester could unlock a lot of opportunities.

When Manchester is in the middle of a network of cities and rail lines, I don't think one linear route is ever going to be able to work to meet all requirements. If you look at Stuttgart 21 you can see how they've had to add in lots of interconnecting lines to make the new underground mainline station work for all the different routes.

Class 170101

Established Member
A thought perhaps if all trains stopped at Manchester Piccadilly HS2 station and Manchester Airport HS2 station would they need to be built for HS operation?

Whats the top speed that is likely to be achieved between the two anyway? 100, 125, 140mph?

Surely that would dictate what kind of curve could be tolerated on this section as I would suggest HS2 needs to fast west / east rather than north to south at this point and allow fast service from Crewe and Manchester Airport towards the eastern flank of NPR towards Leeds / Huddersfield / York / Sheffield as it were.

JamesT

Established Member
HS2 needs 400m platforms and wouldn't benefit at all from a through station.

NPR would only really need 200m platforms, and absolutely would need through running for it to make operational sense. The only reason you'd consider turning the trains back in a terminus platform is if you just wanted to add the minimum cost to deliver east-west routes on top of HS2 - which is the silly idea which I think has precipitated this review.

There's no reason you can't have separate stations at separate angles for HS2 and NPR. Until now, the tunnel from Davenport Green has been optimised for the approach to the terminus platforms, and not NPR or equivalent projects. If NPR is now as high or more of a priority than HS2 for Manchester, then why should this hold? An extra minute or two for the HS2 trains to reach their terminus via some narrower curve radius wouldn't matter much while a more optimal route and station for NPR in Manchester could unlock a lot of opportunities.

When Manchester is in the middle of a network of cities and rail lines, I don't think one linear route is ever going to be able to work to meet all requirements. If you look at Stuttgart 21 you can see how they've had to add in lots of interconnecting lines to make the new underground mainline station work for all the different routes.

Starting to stray into speculative territory, but it feels like Manchester to Scotland isn’t really being considered. NPR is concentrating on East-West, the Terminus station handles going South, but what about going North? I realise there isn’t much HS2 track for it to run on, but in terms of having an equivalent service and not needing to use platforms 13/14.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Starting to stray into speculative territory, but it feels like Manchester to Scotland isn’t really being considered. NPR is concentrating on East-West, the Terminus station handles going South, but what about going North? I realise there isn’t much HS2 track for it to run on, but in terms of having an equivalent service and not needing to use platforms 13/14.

Victoria? 15/16?

It has been mooted as a possibility that it'd be taken from TPE and instead be run as a continuation of one of the hourly classic-line Avanti Euston-Manchester services, by the way.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
A thought perhaps if all trains stopped at Manchester Piccadilly HS2 station and Manchester Airport HS2 station would they need to be built for HS operation?

Whats the top speed that is likely to be achieved between the two anyway? 100, 125, 140mph?

Surely that would dictate what kind of curve could be tolerated on this section as I would suggest HS2 needs to fast west / east rather than north to south at this point and allow fast service from Crewe and Manchester Airport towards the eastern flank of NPR towards Leeds / Huddersfield / York / Sheffield as it were.

None of the city sections are specified any higher than 230km/h. However, they are set to be GC loading gauge and isolated from the rest of the rail network for reliability. Most, if not all, possible NPR or Midlands Connect (or whatever it's called) routes don't need to be any faster than 230km/h. The only sections of line which need to be faster than that are the mainline routes, as otherwise they'd be no faster than the WCML or ECML and that removes much of the value of building them. For the western branch of Phase 2b, it's easy to build a 300km/h+ mainline route and then 230km/h branches off of it to Liverpool and Manchester. Any new TransPennine route could be 230km/h, and anything north/east of Leeds or York would be 230km/h max as well. The main conflict is then on the eastern branch, since the towns and cities along this route follow a different population/travel pattern which makes them less unsuited to slower running with with more frequent stops. A Birmingham to Derby/Nottingham, D/N to Sheffield or Sheffield to Leeds service should really run at 230km/h, but that makes them less suited to running on a new line optimised for 300km/h+ as has been planned so far. Building two lines isn't a good idea, but having long stretches of mixed-speed running might not work either - it just depends on the proposed timetable. Mixed-speed 230km/h and 300km/h running works on HS1 but that's a relatively low-traffic railway. A better comparison may be with the Neubaustrecke in Germany, which see a mixture of 200km/h classic and 250km/h+ higher-speed services.

There's two things here. Pure Manchester to Scotland expresses after there's significant high speed running north of Preston would probably work fine going to the Airport and then terminating at the HS2 Piccadilly station. With a massively reduced journey time an hourly HS service from Glasgow or Edinburgh using a 200m HS2 unit would probably work fine. However, the current TPE service to Scotland also acts as the express service from Manchester to the other towns and cities in Lancashire and Cumbria which would not be included on any new HS routes to Scotland. For instance, you'll have express regional trains from Carlisle (via Oxenholme etc), Lancaster, Barrow and Blackpool needing to get to Manchester too. Should these continue to clog up the route via Bolton and Salford Crescent? I don't think so. I think we'd be better off with an NPR network that covered both Liverpool-Manchester and Preston (and hence WCML) to Manchester. If you serve Liverpool with the minimal extra track on top of HS2 going via the Airport dogleg, then your Preston/WCML destinations are disadvantaged and they'd probably still end up going via the current route. I think a straight-line route from Liverpool to Manchester roughly following the Chat Moss line, and then having a complex junction set where it crosses the HS2 mainline, would serve that pretty well and allow the existing Mancunian rail network to be handed over to purely local/regional services.

MarkyT

Established Member
Unfortunately you have just demolished Pegler’s foundry and a lot of Bridon (cable factory) undercover storage. It looked good up to there! But in any case, any new link should join the ECML north of Doncaster to minimise conflicts at the station. I’m sure we can live with our existing 125 mph service to London in 1h 50 mins, and perhaps this needs moving to Speculative Ideas.
Unlike the difficulties associated with the emotional ties people have for there family homes, and the political risks of acquiring residential land, at least business owners are usually amenable to negotiation although they will clearly play extreme hardball to get the best compensation possible. The cable factory would have to go entirely I think, but the effect on the Pegler site is fairly minimal although their office block is directly in my path as well and I've happily noticed another warehouse bisected is a Jeff Bezos tax free account fillment centre! It was only really a counter to the edwin-m statement that a southern approach to Doncaster station necessarily involved the existing tight curvature. I agree a bypass joining the York line north of Donny would be better and would allow the existing Selby diversion with its theoretical 270kph alignment to be used. Moderators are going to move or split this thread I understand.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There's two things here. Pure Manchester to Scotland expresses after there's significant high speed running north of Preston would probably work fine going to the Airport and then terminating at the HS2 Piccadilly station. With a massively reduced journey time an hourly HS service from Glasgow or Edinburgh using a 200m HS2 unit would probably work fine. However, the current TPE service to Scotland also acts as the express service from Manchester to the other towns and cities in Lancashire and Cumbria which would not be included on any new HS routes to Scotland. For instance, you'll have express regional trains from Carlisle (via Oxenholme etc), Lancaster, Barrow and Blackpool needing to get to Manchester too. Should these continue to clog up the route via Bolton and Salford Crescent? I don't think so. I think we'd be better off with an NPR network that covered both Liverpool-Manchester and Preston (and hence WCML) to Manchester. If you serve Liverpool with the minimal extra track on top of HS2 going via the Airport dogleg, then your Preston/WCML destinations are disadvantaged and they'd probably still end up going via the current route. I think a straight-line route from Liverpool to Manchester roughly following the Chat Moss line, and then having a complex junction set where it crosses the HS2 mainline, would serve that pretty well and allow the existing Mancunian rail network to be handed over to purely local/regional services.

Is NPR likely to involve building a new line fast from Liverpool to Manchester? If so, then the solution to Scotland trains would seem to be relatively simple: A chord connecting the new line to the WCML heading North.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I think the issue is it doesn't really add much vs the existing 100mph route to Preston via Bolton which is about as straight and non circuitous that a route could possibly be.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I think the issue is it doesn't really add much vs the existing 100mph route to Preston via Bolton which is about as straight and non circuitous that a route could possibly be.

I would tend to disagree. It's very fast from Bolton to Salford Crescent, but then it's painfully slow to navigate from Salford Crescent to Piccadilly. A new route that lead into a new NPR/HS2 underground station at Piccadilly would be a lot faster just because of avoiding that section. And of course would give the added bonus of more paths for local and commuter trains along the Bolton and Chat Moss corridors.

Senex

Established Member
I would tend to disagree. It's very fast from Bolton to Salford Crescent, but then it's painfully slow to navigate from Salford Crescent to Piccadilly. A new route that lead into a new NPR/HS2 underground station at Piccadilly would be a lot faster just because of avoiding that section. And of course would give the added bonus of more paths for local and commuter trains along the Bolton and Chat Moss corridors.
I agree with you, but would add a bit. It's not just from west of Salford Crescent to Piccadilly that it's very slow, but also from that point to Victoria. Then there's the killer 20 through Bolton, with the slow 20 right through the long, straight platform at Bolton. And you're down to 72 from Chorley through to an unimproved 20-mph junction at Euxton. There's never going to be a really fast time between Manchester and Preston by that route. The alternative route via Parkside is no better. Not only is it longer, but it has the same sort of very slow final approach to the Manchester stations, it uses the slow (60/75) half of the Liverpool & Manchester line, and it has the dreadful junctions at Parkside/Lowton/Golborne to negotiate. (Actually the Manchester curve at Parkside—the original curve—is not too bad a radius.) If HS2 is ever going to make it further north towards Scotland, then there must be a case for including better connections northwards for both Manchester and Liverpool, so that those two cities (as well as London and Birmingham) can have the best possible services to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
You are aware that the Piccadilly alignment for HS2 is almost a loop from the south that hooks almost to face west ? That’s kinda 180 degrees out of alignment for Airport to Leeds, much more than a slight S shape. Ideally a HS2/NPR needs to be intersecting Piccadilly at 90 degrees, probably in a low level station not parallel. We aren’t wanting another 40mph line through Manchester and to be fair, just because every train stops at Manchester now, doesn’t mean the service pattern for NPR has every service stop there in the future - you might (for example) have a Liverpool-Airport-Leeds-Newcastle service or a Liverpool-Warrington-Leeds-York-Newcastle or Crewe-Airport-Huddersfield-Wakefield-Selby-Hull service mixed with Manchester stopping services, with through services requiring a 100-140mph alignment through Piccadilly. Gives a magical headline super short time say from Leeds to Airport for example.

Yes I am aware of the alignment. But let’s be frank though, there will be zero services from Liverpool or Crewe to Leeds and beyond that do not stop in central Manchester.

Roger B

Yes I am aware of the alignment. But let’s be frank though, there will be zero services from Liverpool or Crewe to Leeds and beyond that do not stop in central Manchester.

Spot on. Can't see any cross-Manchester services not calling at at least once principal Manchester centre station en route.

daikilo

Established Member

There is no reason why the main HS2north route should not skirt Manchester (as with Birmingham) with links into/through the city, probably on existing tracks.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There is no reason why the main HS2north route should not skirt Manchester (as with Birmingham) with links into/through the city, probably on existing tracks.

I'm assuming from the context by 'HS2North route' you mean the route from Liverpool to Leeds. Why on Earth would you build a line like that and deliberately avoid one of the biggest sources of custom for that line?

Purple Orange

On Moderation

That makes no sense. It negates the chance to increase capacity on the lines going in to Manchester which, like Birmingham and Leeds, is desperately needed.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
What about modifying the Wigan connection with a chord to allow trains from the direction of Manchester Airport and Manchester Piccadilly to access it, and then adding an additional chord near Newton le Willows that allows trains to head from Manchester Airport to liverpool?

Even at the 230km/h it is almost certain to easily beat the current alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.