• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible to upgrade part of an off peak return to 1st class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuna84

As the aforementioned title states I am looking for guidance from the experts amongst us with regard ticketing matters. I am booked on a 1st EC advance tomorrow (22nd September) on the 10:00am from London Kings Cross to Aberdeen. My friend will be joining me on this train at Edinburgh Waverley, leaving there at 14:27. Now unbeknown to me until now he has already bought his ticket, an off-peak return from Lockerbie to Aberdeen (£51.60 I believe). He has a 16-25 railcard. Now is there anyway he can upgrade part of the ticket to join me in 1st class from Edinburgh Waverley, i.e travelling from Lockerbie to Edinburgh in Standard then paying extra to join me. My basic ticket knowledge and gut feeling tell me this isn't possible and that his options are, either upgrading the whole ticket to a 1st off peak return between Lockerbie to Aberdeen (not sure how much this would cost) or to get the whole ticket refunded and buy 2 separate tickets, one from Lockerbie to Edinburgh and one from Edinburgh to Aberdeen. My basic knowledge (if correct) tells me that he can refund his off peak return ticket, less a £10 admin fee? Leaving him with £41.60. He can buy an anytime single from Lockerbie to Edinburgh for £10.05 and catch the TPE service arriving at Waverley at 13:39 and then buy the 1st Advance (writing this at 5pm so perhaps only 1 hour to buy it) for £17.15 making a total of £27.20. This will leave him with £14.20 to play with to get tickets back (most likely on Sunday 25th September), unless he is willing to pay a little more. Of course the other option is that upon arrival I move to Standard and join him there, though technically I won't be sitting in my reserved seat, though as has been discussed on here repeatedly this rule has hardly, if ever been enforced, unless the train is packed. What are people's thoughts?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Could excess it...

First Open Return is £103.30 Lockerbie to Aberdeen
Already paid £51.60

Excess to pay is £51.70 return

or

£40.10 one way in First if I've calculated correctly.

A refund would take up to 28 days and would incur an admin fee of around £10. It wouldn't be immediate.

Flamingo

Established Member
It should be ok to excess it on-board. The YP railcard will only give a discount on Advance 1st class tickets, not off-peak or anytime (or weekend first upgrades.

cuna84

Ty for the responses guys, well I don't think he would be willing to pay that much to excess so I guess I shall be relocating upon arrival at Waverley, unless of course the guard/train manager states that the train is v busy/full and people have to sit in their reserved sits, though in my experience this has never been the case on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen section of East Coast, so in theory I will be slumming it on the latter part of the journey :P

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Ty for the responses guys, well I don't think he would be willing to pay that much to excess so I guess I shall be relocating upon arrival at Waverley, unless of course the guard/train manager states that the train is v busy/full and people have to sit in their reserved sits, though in my experience this has never been the case on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen section of East Coast, so in theory I will be slumming it on the latter part of the journey :P

It's worth explaining to the guard and seeing what he/she says.

Flamingo

Established Member
Of course, if it is crowded you might find someone to swap seats with you...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's worth explaining to the guard and seeing what he/she says.

If first is empty and I'm asked nicely, I have been known to say yes. I'm more inclined to agree if one is a full price first class ticket holder, than on an advance ticket which cost less than the walk-up standard class ticket, though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
.... I am booked on a 1st EC advance tomorrow (22nd September) on the 10:00am from London Kings Cross to Aberdeen. My friend will be joining me on this train at Edinburgh Waverley, leaving there at 14:27. ...
You have 2 hours 10 minutes to get a ticket at £17.15, this is a 1st Class Advance Single (from [stn]EDB[/stn] to [stn]ABD[/stn]), booked on the EC website, with a Railcard.

The excess will cost more than this, as 16-25 Railcard discounts are not available for 1st class walk-on tickets for this journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.