• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential new Cross Country livery

thomas_2312

As I was scrolling through Twitter, I came across an image of what supposedly is going to be the New Cross Country livery. Horrid in my opinion.Photo of a Class 170 in what appears to be the New Cross Country Livery. Source: Twitter, although original post seems to have been deleted.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamieh27

That is going to be the new XC livery? Not too sure about that one much rather have had the purple, pink and silver livery.

DanNCL

Established Member
Thought they were supposed to be going turquoise?
Or could we be seeing the 170s getting a different livery from the Voyagers?

Sorcerer

Big downgrade in my opinion. The original CrossCountry livery looks distinctive and smart with a premium feel even if it is slightly overbranded. This one looks like it belongs on an airport shuttle. In a vacuum I think it looks fine, but not as a new livery for one that was already sufficient.

duffield

Established Member
I'd welcome it - not because I like it, but because it should make it much easier to visually distinguish XC and EMR services.

It used to be easy with EMT's blue and white livery, but EMR's dark purple and XC's brown can look pretty similar.

Particularly from a distance, in lower lighting conditions and from certain angles I find it difficult to tell EMR and XC 170s apart, and EMR 222s and XC 221/220s apart, which is not ideal at stations like Nottingham and Derby if there's disruption, late platform changes, a short connection etc. and XC and EMR services present or due on the same island or platform.

Or maybe it's just me who has this problem? I don't have any known colour blindness etc. but my vision isn't brilliant especially in low light.

jamieh27

I'd welcome it - not because I like it, but because it should make it much easier to visually distinguish XC and EMR services.

It used to be easy with EMT's blue and white livery, but EMR's dark purple and XC's brown can look pretty similar.

Particularly from a distance, in lower lighting conditions and from certain angles I find it difficult to tell EMR and XC 170s apart, and EMR 222s and XC 221/220s apart, which is not ideal at stations like Nottingham and Derby if there's disruption, late platform changes, a short connection etc. and XC and EMR services present or due on the same island or platform.

Or maybe it's just me who has this problem? I don't have any known colour blindness etc. but my vision isn't brilliant especially in low light.
Understandably its a clash of purples on the cab front of the 170s

Snow1964

Established Member
I don't like it, didn't Wessex trains use magenta ?
They are no longer around

Doesn't anyone check these, why use an image of diesel train on electrified line, for new livery image ?

thomas_2312

Do you have the link? There's been no official word on this so I wouldn't take it as being true.
The post I had saw it on seems to have been deleted. So no link as it stands. Perhaps been leaked without permission.

thomas_2312

Right, I think until there's any sort of official word I don't think this can be taken as something that's happening.
I did say “supposedly” in my post, I didn’t say it was for definite. We do know that XC will shortly be refurbishing their trains, which likely will include a repaint.

19Gnasher69

I did say “supposedly” in my post, I didn’t say it was for definite. We do know that XC will shortly be refurbishing their trains, which likely will include a repaint.
It would be slightly ironic if this rumour is true given the OP’s name and the fact that their avatar shows a train from the first TOC to adopt a dreadful, childish Thomas the Tank Engine livery.

thomas_2312

It would be slightly ironic if this rumour is true given the OP’s name and the fact that their avatar shows a train from the first TOC to adopt a dreadful, childish Thomas the Tank Engine livery.
Haha :lol:

Didn’t even think of the connection with my name, Just used my actual name when I joined the forums.

Doesn't anyone check these, why use an image of diesel train on electrified line, for new livery image ?
Does XC have any electric trains? I thought that they were DMU operators, albeit DMUs that may spend time under the wires?

The livery shown is a bit 'meh', imho.

class 9

AFAIK all XCs fleet will be reliveried as part of the upcoming refurbishments, the OPs photo similar to the image of a Voyager on the X page.

Attachments

• 20240316_201025.jpg
    20240316_201025.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 220

skyhigh

Established Member
AFAIK all XCs fleet will be reliveried as part of the upcoming refurbishments, the OPs photo similar to the image of a Voyager on the X page.
I'm pretty sure that's just a stylised drawing of the current livery.

Snow1964

Established Member
Does XC have any electric trains? I thought that they were DMU operators, albeit DMUs that may spend time under the wires?
All diesel, no electric, no bimodes.
All operating to 20+ year old emissions standards

The train illustrated in post 1 was built 25 years ago

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Looks like that livery has spread to the Voyagers, with blue doors.Screenshot_20240422_155713_X.jpg
Image of the new XC livery shown in Post #1 but applied to a Vogager with blue doors. Text reads "Crossountry's new look."

Looks like that livery has spread to the Voyagers, with blue doors.Screenshot_20240422_155713_X.jpg
Just to add that this is from the front cover of Modern Railways.

Last edited: