• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Volo TV aye.
Indeed, originally £1.50 for 1 hour or £3.50 for 3 hours. It wasn't surprising that few people wanted to pay when iPods were very established, it went free after a while.

I'm curious how much the Virgin radio units were used, I'd imagine that being free they'd have been used a bit in the first few years.

Jimini

Established Member
Indeed, originally £1.50 for 1 hour or £3.50 for 3 hours. It wasn't surprising that few people wanted to pay when iPods were very established, it went free after a while.

I'm curious how much the Virgin radio units were used, I'd imagine that being free they'd have been used a bit in the first few years.

I never paid for it (commuting from Paddington to Reading was the limit of my experience of it), but did enjoy the geeky aspect of the free tracker they used to provide, along with the running mph speed. Was pretty cool back in its day!

fgwrich

Established Member
I never paid for it (commuting from Paddington to Reading was the limit of my experience of it), but did enjoy the geeky aspect of the free tracker they used to provide, along with the running mph speed. Was pretty cool back in its day!
That was one of the real highlights of it! Used to love sitting in the Volo coach just for that aspect alone, and occasionally i'd watch something on it too (I first discovered US legal drama Suits on that).

jw

xc.jpeg

A (somewhat low quality) snapshot taken from a presentation given by CrossCountry to the Rail North Committee earlier today as recorded in this YouTube video - see from 26 minutes in...

These images are noted by the CrossCountry spokesperson as being for illustrative purposes and are not final (something that gives me some hope given the somewhat lurid colour combinations!).

For those unable to access the image, the text is as follows:

Rolling stock improvements
Voyagers
  • Programme expected to begin late 2024, with 2/3 units being away for refurbishment at any given time
  • Timescales based on a 4-week downtime for each unit (but may be shorter)
  • Scope includes interior and exterior CCTV, automatic passenger counters, USB plug fitment, new seats, new carpets and interior and exterior livery
  • Expected completion date for existing units is Sep 2026 with additional Class 221 (7 x ex-Avanti) being refurbished last.

Energy

Established Member
View attachment 152892

A (somewhat low quality) snapshot taken from a presentation given by CrossCountry to the Rail North Committee earlier today as recorded in this YouTube video - see from 26 minutes in...

These images are noted by the CrossCountry spokesperson as being for illustrative purposes and are not final (something that gives me some hope given the somewhat lurid colour combinations!).

Voyagers
  • Programme expected to begin late 2024, with 2/3 units being away for refurbishment at any given time
  • Scope includes interior and exterior CCTV, automatic passenger counters, USB plug fitment, new seats, new carpets and interior and exterior livery
  • Expected completion date for existing units is Sep 2026 with additional Class 221 (7 x ex-Avanti) being refurbished last.
Doors are... interesting. New colours look a little Ouigo.

New seats is an interesting mention, the supplier isn't mentioned and they don't look changed in the concept image. I'd guess either the Transcal seats in the Pendolino refurb, the modified FISA Lean in the 810s, or the improved Fainsa Sophia in the 197. I wouldn't expect anything unique for XC.

Dan G

That was one of the real highlights of it! Used to love sitting in the Volo coach just for that aspect alone, and occasionally i'd watch something on it too (I first discovered US legal drama Suits on that).
I was introduced to Matt Smith's Doctor Who! (Was never much of a Tennant fan.)

Never had to pay for it.

hello

View attachment 152892

Voyagers
Exterior cctv, what does that mean? Another step towards doo!!!!!

Northerngirl

It's great that they seem to be putting a decent amount of effort into the refurb, but wow I hope thoes colours change. Guessing it's also an external rebrand with that blue

AJDesiro

It's great that they seem to be putting a decent amount of effort into the refurb, but wow I hope thoes colours change. Guessing it's also an external rebrand with that blue
There was a thread a while ago rumouring a Turquoise colour scheme, so the colours do fit that. If it's an Arriva-designed thing, it's not a surprise how garish it looks, they're known for that.

Good to see this is happening though, they've not had any form of refurb since the seat covers were replaced circa 2011. Hopefully, the new seats are those as fitted to the 390s, and I wouldn't mind if they added a few more rows of seats (given the generally thinner back of modern seats), XC needs more seats after all, especially now that it's known that a good few of the extra voyagers will be used for the Newcastle-Reading increases from May 2025.

GoneSouth

That is absolutely and utterly hideous.
Completely agree. I spend a lot of time on voyagers and had high hopes for something like the Arriva Wales refurbs a few years ago which used turquoise. What they’ve given us there is horrific.

Are all the people who design things colour blind these days?

Expected completion date for existing units is Sep 2026 with additional Class 221 (7 x ex-Avanti) being refurbished last.
Is there any reason why cross country cannot take all 18 of the voyagers displaced by the 805s/807s instead of just the 7?

GoneSouth

And please please don’t give us new seats. They Voyager seat is one of the few seats that’s comfortable enough to use for 4+ hours.

Is there any reason why cross country cannot take all 18 of the voyagers displaced by the 805s/807s instead of just the 7?
The government won’t let them

ReturnToSPT

View attachment 152892

Voyagers
Hopefully the USB plugs are USB-C standard, rather than the older style which will be completely outdated by the time these finally leave service

800Travel

View attachment 152892

Voyagers
I don't even mind the current Cross Country design tbh. It just needs refreshing (i.e. new seat covers (due to damage and dirt), seats repainted, dented seat backs fixing, internal door sensors fitting so it knows when people are there) but same colour schemes would be fine IMO. I very much dislike this turquoise.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Hopefully the USB plugs are USB-C standard, rather than the older style which will be completely outdated by the time these finally leave service
What's the difference? The USB C is only the end that plugs into the phone

Class 800

Though this is welcome as a stopgap, it will not solve what is in my opinion the key issue with the Voyagers and XC generally: capacity.
There is no mention of replacing the unnecessarily large UATs with space savers, in those coaches without wheelchair spaces.
If passengers can get to the toilets at all... an overcrowded, un-refurbished 4-car train is simply going to become an overcrowded, refurbished 4-car train.

The turquoise and pink is garish for sure, and makes it look very plastic-y. The blue door stripes remind me of a laser tag place for some reason. It would be excellent for a "family carriage", maybe I would tolerate it in standard, but it is completely unacceptable for first class, which should appear solidly built, luxury, and understated.
Why not go for a more Grand Central-esque look?

The long term strategy should absolutely be to replace the Voyagers with longer bi-mode trains. The 8xx would be the obvious choice nowadays (price hike aside), but who knows what the landscape will look like when or if this happens - perhaps the LNER CAFs will have been in service for a fair few years and could be another tried-and-tested alternative. Most trains should be at least equivalent to a 9-car IET, with perhaps a few 5-cars for stoppers with shorter platforms (though really this should be managed by SDO).

class 9

Can't remember whether it was here or X, someone said that 7 was the initial allocation, with an option for more, although I can't find any links to confirm this.

Mugby

Established Member
Programme to begin in late 2024 and expected completion date; September 2026. Any improvements are going to be a long time coming!

Russel

Yes, it's really quite ugly and the most corporate thing I've ever seen.
I personally hope they keep the same seats.

I do like the seats, but the seat backs are in a poor condition, most are dented and in a bad shape, same for the arm rests closest to the aisle, but I think this is mostly down to being hit with the catering trolly.