• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potentially Stupid Question About Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daaan

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and have to admit I'm a charlatan; I'm researching a novel I'm writing, and was hoping someone would be kind enough to clarify something I'm really struggling to find the answer to online (yes, I know I should probably try and speak to a real-life train driver, just being lazy...)

So, the (potentially stupid) question is:

To what degree does where you live determine which depot you're based at and routes you travel, and is your base depot where you start and finish work each day?

To use an example, say a train driver's typical route was Thameslink Bedford to Brighton, would they realistically live in or around Bedford or Brighton, or is it feasible that they could live in London and potentially be based at another depot on that route? Very specific, I know, but I want to make sure I'm being as accurate as possible with the character I'm writing about.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but other threads have been really helpful so I thought I'd try.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

king_walnut

Shifts always start and finish at the same depot.

I believe most TOCs will not consider applications from people who live more than 45 minutes away. Southeastern tend to require that you live within a 10 mile radius.

Leep1

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and have to admit I'm a charlatan; I'm researching a novel I'm writing, and was hoping someone would be kind enough to clarify something I'm really struggling to find the answer to online (yes, I know I should probably try and speak to a real-life train driver, just being lazy...)

So, the (potentially stupid) question is:

To what degree does where you live determine which depot you're based at and routes you travel, and is your base depot where you start and finish work each day?

To use an example, say a train driver's typical route was Thameslink Bedford to Brighton, would they realistically live in or around Bedford or Brighton, or is it feasible that they could live in London and potentially be based at another depot on that route? Very specific, I know, but I want to make sure I'm being as accurate as possible with the character I'm writing about.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but other threads have been really helpful so I thought I'd try.

Thanks in advance!
Journalist detected.

Of course you’re writing a novel mate!

sw1ller

Established Member
All tocs are different so I can only go by my toc and the small amount I know about others, but basically, where you live and what depot you work from is normally determined by where you live. I can’t speak for the area you want to know about, but elsewhere, your depot may sign 1-15 routes (possibly more) and you’d typically stay on these, start and finish there.

However, like with anything, there’s exceptions. You could be based at depot a but sign some of the routes from depot b, so you can cross cover. We do this at my toc but you still book on and off from your Home Depot. Other tocs may be different.

FOCs on the other hand.... some have a HQ and that’s about it, you book on from home and make your way to a random location to pick up the unit. You still have to sign the route unless it’s in a possession.

Basically, everywhere is different. As long as you follow the rule book and the driver Union has deemed it ok, there’s lots of ways you can work.

Journalist detected.

I don’t think I’ve given any of the trade secrets away here. I’ll have a flick through the secret files we’re all given and check though, just in case.

bionic

You'll always book on and off at the same place but some jobs might involve passing rather than driving. So you could theoretically get relieved at Bedford or Luton and be booked pass rest of the way. Bedford to Brighton runs were worked by drivers at Bedford, Blackfriars and Brighton until the latest goings on. Blackfriars is supposed to be shut but remains open for now. Bedford and Brighton still going but both shrunk I believe, with drivers displaced out to Luton, St Albans and Three Bridges etc. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure Three Bridges and one of the links at Luton sign Bedford to Brighton while St Albans and Cricklewood drivers, while on the Bedford to Brighton route, only sign metro stuff such as the Sutton loop.

Daaan

Thanks for the insights all, much appreciated!

Journalist detected.

Ha, rumbled!
Not really, genuinely writing a novel, been at it on and off for years, draft finished, but it's full of holes due to my lack of knowledge about the day-to-day life of a train driver! Never been a journalist, though I should probably try and interview a train driver at some point to get some further insight...

ComUtoR

Established Member
Where you work and what you drive and what the recruitment policy is; rarely reflects reality. Recruitment is based around the distance you live from a depot (10 miles is typical) or time it takes to get to the depot (45mins-1hr is typical) What happens then is people move and life takes over.

I started my career being a 4 minute drive from my depot and now it takes me almost an hour a day (15 miles) My routes have changed since I started. I have driven coastal routes, metro routes, mainline and now I drive both sides of The River' and yet my depot has never changed. I also book on remotely where needed and even taxi to other depots to take my first service. I can 'book off' pretty much anywhere on my network because our terms and conditions allow it and cross covering of other depot work is pretty standard.

A lot of what you hear and read about our role is very TOC dependent.

Good luck with the book.

Established Member
A lot of us relocate for the job, others have digs near to the depot in addition to our main home.

Many shifts start outside of the public transport (well, we are the public transport) thus that usually isn't an option.

Daaan

Thank you all, that’s great.

So would it be realistic, for example, for my driver to be based at Blackfriars or Three Bridges (referencing depots bionic mentioned) but still work the Bedford to Brighton route? Again, appreciate this may be a dense question but just working out logistics of where my character could realistically live and travel to.

Thanks all!

ComUtoR

Established Member
If you wanted to be specific about routes, traction, link and what work each link and routes the Driver signs then you would need someone from that depot/TOC.

In general you are not geographically linked to your depot. I sign 9 separate routes and only 2 pass through my depot.

I sign Bedford and I'm 94 miles away. The route is nowhere near my depot but as its on my route card, I can drive whatever service on that route (traction permitting). As long as the route and traction is something you sign then you can drive it.

Booked diagrams are again, quite different. As Bionic highlights, each depot has set work and routes they drive. There is a lot of overlap. As I sign Bedford I can work a unit down as far as Herne Hill and then have to get out and I can drive a unit down as far as London Bridge but the I would need to get out. Part of the May timetable issues were down to some services being driven by 3 and even 4 Drivers. Luton - London Bridge, London Bridge - Dartford, Dartford -Rainham. Driven by 3 Drivers but only seen by onlookers as the Luton-Rainham service. I drive the Sutton services North of 'The River' but I get relieved at Blackfriars.

It's possible that your Driver could be based at Gillingham and still work part of the Bedford to Brighton route. :)

Daaan

If you wanted to be specific about routes, traction, link and what work each link and routes the Driver signs then you would need someone from that depot/TOC.

In general you are not geographically linked to your depot. I sign 9 separate routes and only 2 pass through my depot.

I sign Bedford and I'm 94 miles away. The route is nowhere near my depot but as its on my route card, I can drive whatever service on that route (traction permitting). As long as the route and traction is something you sign then you can drive it.

Booked diagrams are again, quite different. As Bionic highlights, each depot has set work and routes they drive. There is a lot of overlap. As I sign Bedford I can work a unit down as far as Herne Hill and then have to get out and I can drive a unit down as far as London Bridge but the I would need to get out. Part of the May timetable issues were down to some services being driven by 3 and even 4 Drivers. Luton - London Bridge, London Bridge - Dartford, Dartford -Rainham. Driven by 3 Drivers but only seen by onlookers as the Luton-Rainham service. I drive the Sutton services North of 'The River' but I get relieved at Blackfriars.

It's possible that your Driver could be based at Gillingham and still work part of the Bedford to Brighton route. :)

Thanks ComUtoR, that’s hugely helpful (as has everyone’s response been, really appreciate answers to my inane questions).

Interesting that you mention London Bridge as that’s a key station for events in the book. If you don’t mind me asking, roughly where do you live and where is your depot, seeing as you mentioned it’s quite a distance from Bedford?

Dan

ComUtoR

Established Member
Interesting that you mention London Bridge as that’s a key station for events in the book. If you don’t mind me asking, roughly where do you live and where is your depot, seeing as you mentioned it’s quite a distance from Bedford?

Kent based for both.

GTR now have depots as far out as Ashford (still not open !!) and Gillingham. All depots (as far as I can tell) run through The Core section so technically that could be driven by anyone. Kent side will eventually be running up to Welwyn Garden City and Cambridge so you can see that distances that a depot can sign can be quite extreme. With them also signing round to Hornsey (iirc)

387star

On Moderation
Some drivers live on the coast with their nearest depot being barnham or Eastbourne yet could work for TL out of Three Bridges etc
If you work for TL you apply to Southern as an external which makes movement harder as no access to internal moves although many from sn have come to tl recently under special circumstances
Some depots are very hard to get in to so it is not uncommon to live ten mins from a depot but work at one an hour away... the better work may justify a longer commute
If there's a taxi agreement better still

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.