• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Power and Brake Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
Given that the Mk1 DMU's are 1950's era (in design terms), compared to the hard, physical, work involved in driving and firing steam locos, I suspect most drivers of the era quite liked them as a much easier & cleaner work environment.

Have you ever pulled & pushed the regulator or the reverser on a steam loco (when in steam)? I have a few times on steam driving experience days - it's hard work...even more so if you're the fireman doing the shoveling :).
My DI when I was trainee started in the early 80s and on one of the lines he worked he saw the transition from MKI DMUs to Sprinters. He told me that at the time he was always happy when a Sprinter turned up at it meant a much easier drive - but looking back 30 years later he would have loved to have had the chance to drive a DMU again!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4F89

Brakes off a 70, every day. Nice and smooth, blow up quick with lots of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.