• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Power drain at terminal stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It wasn't just SWT that was being highly cautious over regen on the DC network - Network Rail had cold feet as well. A certain senior engineering gentleman from the operator community, then on secondment to DfT, did an excellent job of embarrassing the industry into doing something about it in about mid 2007. There was then a long programme of testing, carried out on the Shepperton branch and between Dorking and Horsham, with a full analysis of the DC network by NR to ensure there were no high risk area. I think regen went live somewhere about 2010 on parts of the DC network. You are right about the Wimbledon area and the LU worry about old District line trains, although I seem to remember that to blow one up you would have probably needed every single main line train in the area to be on full regen braking at once. And nobody knew what "blowing up" meant anyway!
Yes I suppose ‘they’ would definitely include a load of NR caution as well. Am I right in recalling that units such as 458s were tested between Dorchester and Weymouth, even though it wasn’t their natural habitat, because the descent into Weymouth allowed for a significant amount of braking, and that part of the route could also be easily isolated from the rest of the network?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
I worked with someone whose son worked on Australian railways. He commented that "their" control's job was to ensure that no more than the approved number (1?) of electric trains was starting away from a stand at any one time!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It wasn't just SWT that was being highly cautious over regen on the DC network - Network Rail had cold feet as well. A certain senior engineering gentleman from the operator community, then on secondment to DfT, did an excellent job of embarrassing the industry into doing something about it in about mid 2007. There was then a long programme of testing, carried out on the Shepperton branch and between Dorking and Horsham, with a full analysis of the DC network by NR to ensure there were no high risk area. I think regen went live somewhere about 2010 on parts of the DC network. You are right about the Wimbledon area and the LU worry about old District line trains, although I seem to remember that to blow one up you would have probably needed every single main line train in the area to be on full regen braking at once. And nobody knew what "blowing up" meant anyway!
I suspect that if regen had been allowed at the time, the power supply upgrades for the new units would have cost a fair bit less.

Another concern they had was about a train regenerating and livening up an isolated section where people might be working. Not sure how that's any worse than the shoegear bridging to the adjacent live section.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Another concern they had was about a train regenerating and livening up an isolated section where people might be working. Not sure how that's any worse than the shoegear bridging to the adjacent live section.

I thought it was more nuanced than that.

AIUI it was that regen could mask a fairly significant short circuit caused by a fault. Hence part of the work to enable regen was to install faster acting and more ‘clever’ relays to identify a fenuine short circuit even if a big lumo of current is coming in from a regenerating train.

apk55

Most of the modern trains are Regen and rho-static breaking. Normally this would be done by having a resistor that can be controlled by an electronic switch to prevent the supply voltage getting too high. This would be almost essential anyway as a train may suddenly be gapped or otherwise lose contact with the power rails by for example ice. The resistor may be short time rated (typically a few seconds) so that a smooth transition to friction brakes can be achieved.
Even many industrial 3 phase drives normally include a similar braking resistor.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes, the Woodhead scheme supported regeneration, to provide electric braking on the steep downhill sections for heavy freight trains. AFAIK if there were insufficient trains in the area to make use of the regen power, the excess got dissipated (as heat to the atmosphere) in resistor banks at the feeder stations. The basic design of the scheme dated back to the LNER pre-WW2, so over 80 years ago...
Correct

dk1

Veteran Member
Not something I’ve ever considered. Funny how anyone outside the industry looks at these things. I just whack open the power controller to its max and think nothing of it.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not something I’ve ever considered. Funny how anyone outside the industry looks at these things. I just whack open the power controller to its max and think nothing of it.

Quite a few people in the industry do think about these things, and it is the cause of much head scratching!

bahnause

Your trustworthy Stadler vehicle will reduce the power if the voltage in the overhead line drops too low.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Ten years ago in this context refers to modern stock such as SWT Desiros not having the regeneration function enabled until about then. On delivery they left it switched off because AIUI they were being highly cautious, they were worried line voltage might increase too much during normal random events, especially at the extremities, such as at Weymouth.

Another problem back then was that allowing regeneration in specific areas would have affected other systems, eg allowing regen to raise the line voltage towards 900V in the Wimbledon area would have likely blown up older District line trains. The inner area wasn’t even increased to 750V from 660V until comparatively late on, around 20116/17. DC Regen in Wessex was still an ongoing project in the early CP5 enhancement plan updates, part of the work involved separating out the District line power supplies, I think the Waterloo & City had been separated in an earlier phase.
It was upgraded to 750V DC for Eurostar trains. The main constraint was 4 SUB units which were designed for 660V.

Recessio

If I remember correctly, power used to be a big concern on the Watford DC. I heard the on-peak six-coach 313s (c.f. three-coach off-peak) was pushing the absolute limits on the limited power supply on the line after the line was upgraded on the cheap?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If I remember correctly, power used to be a big concern on the Watford DC. I heard the on-peak six-coach 313s (c.f. three-coach off-peak) was pushing the absolute limits on the limited power supply on the line after the line was upgraded on the cheap?
When was the line upgraded on the cheap?

It supports 5 car 710's on a 15m headway interspersed with the Bakerloo line service quite ably today not forgetting you have the additional hotel load on the 710's.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It was upgraded to 750V DC for Eurostar trains. The main constraint was 4 SUB units which were designed for 660V.
The 2016 EDP specifically states that the increase from 660V to 750V was still in progress in Wessex inner area at that time, especially in the Wimbledon and Richmond areas. I suggest the upgrade for Eurostar was only on specific route sections.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The 2016 EDP specifically states that the increase from 660V to 750V was still in progress in Wessex inner area at that time, especially in the Wimbledon and Richmond areas. I suggest the upgrade for Eurostar was only on specific route sections.
There may have been an island at Richmond and Wimbledon to cover the D78's but it was regraded out from those locations to 750V in the late 80's.

Recessio

When was the line upgraded on the cheap?

It supports 5 car 710's on a 15m headway interspersed with the Bakerloo line service quite ably today not forgetting you have the additional hotel load on the 710's.
I think I remember reading something about it back in Network SouthEast days. Especially the signalling was done on the cheap, I think. I may be wrong though!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I think I remember reading something about it back in Network SouthEast days. Especially the signalling was done on the cheap, I think. I may be wrong though!
BR did the best with the money it had and did indeed resignal the whole line but back then its was largely operating against falling or at best static traffic levels. To my mind what they did was protect the asset for future generations and if that now needs upgrading to meet increased traffic levels thats to be celebrated.

Tim M

As a side issue but related to signalling. I was involved a while back in work on the Oslo T-bane. At one station where a pair of crossovers were installed it was required to make the railway a bit quieter (lots of expensive houses nearby) with swing nose points being used. However there wasn’t sufficient power available to operate all point ends (8 single phase a.c. machines) at the same time. The interlocking was therefore arranged to operate each end of a crossover sequentially. Not really a problem as the crossovers concerned weren’t used as part of normal timetabled services.

sharpener

AIUI Wimbledon is where the grid supply connection to the railway is, it’s then distributed trackside to substations all around the Wessex inner area, and they are all connected in parallel on the DC side via trackside equipment. The electrical control room for Wessex inner is at Raynes Park, I believe.

What voltage is used for the connections from Wimbledon to the various sub-stations? It must have been at AC as they had transformers(!). I recall as a child noticing that the humming noise from the one in Dukes Avenue, New Malden got louder the more trains there were nearby.

Notorious example is the Epping - Ongar shuttle. I never understood why it would have been so difficult to upgrade the power supply to allow full trains to start from Ongar (the limitaion mentioned here). The inability to operate through trains must have been a big factor in the demise of the link.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What voltage is used for the connections from Wimbledon to the various sub-stations? It must have been at AC as they had transformers(!). I recall as a child noticing that the humming noise from the one in Dukes Avenue, New Malden got louder the more trains there were nearby.

Generally 33 kV, but there are variations around. Some sections were 66 kV but someone explained that voltage was obsolescent. There’s also been a few posts in the forum that mentioned 11 kV

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This thread appears to be covering an incident on the ECML where several trains re-starting tripped out the power supply:

Adrian1980uk

Quite a few people in the industry do think about these things, and it is the cause of much head scratching!
I'm sure it does but the limiting factor is probably always the throat at terminus stations anyway, of which at any point in the day likelihood is some trains are coming in and some are heading off. You might have 20 platforms but I'll bet you'll only have a maximum of 8 tracks in and out, of course that assumes each departure is perfect from a platform to the track it's going out on and no conflicts

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Generally 33 kV, but there are variations around. Some sections were 66 kV but someone explained that voltage was obsolescent. There’s also been a few posts in the forum that mentioned 11 kV
In London area the primary supply voltage for public distribution is 66kV and connections were made from New Cross Grid to four locations in SE London equipped with 66/33kV transformers as 33kV was the standard distribution voltage adopted by BR SR. All other grid points were connected at 33kV. In the 1980's 3rd rail extensions 11kV was used for economic reason for lineside distribution to substations but the grid connections were still at 33kV. Tonbridge to Redhill and West London Line electrifications used 22kV to reflect the higher loads of the Eurostar and CL92 but again connected to the grid at 33kV. As an aside CEGB wouldn't permit connection of traction loads at any lower voltage due to the harmonics that rectifiers produce.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In London area the primary supply voltage for public distribution is 66kV and connections were made from New Cross Grid to four locations in SE London equipped with 66/33kV transformers as 33kV was the standard distribution voltage adopted by BR SR. All other grid points were connected at 33kV. In the 1980's 3rd rail extensions 11kV was used for economic reason for lineside distribution to substations but the grid connections were still at 33kV. Tonbridge to Redhill and West London Line electrifications used 22kV to reflect the higher loads of the Eurostar and CL92 but again connected to the grid at 33kV. As an aside CEGB wouldn't permit connection of traction loads at any lower voltage due to the harmonics that rectifiers produce.
Thanks for the extra detail.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm sure it does but the limiting factor is probably always the throat at terminus stations anyway, of which at any point in the day likelihood is some trains are coming in and some are heading off. You might have 20 platforms but I'll bet you'll only have a maximum of 8 tracks in and out, of course that assumes each departure is perfect from a platform to the track it's going out on and no conflicts

No, terminus stations are never an issue, as the speeds are low and consequently so is power draw.

AM9

Veteran Member
An interesting observation of this thread is that 25kV supplies are hardly mentioned, - the discussion is all about the measures taken to mitigate the shortcomings of 750VDC 3rd rail electrification. The fact is that 25kV supplies cover a much larger area maybe over 100track miles so local high demands are relatively small compared with the overall demands, and have a lesser impact on the feed point load.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
An interesting observation of this thread is that 25kV supplies are hardly mentioned, - the discussion is all about the measures taken to mitigate the shortcomings of 750VDC 3rd rail electrification. The fact is that 25kV supplies cover a much larger area maybe over 100track miles so local high demands are relatively small compared with the overall demands, and have a lesser impact on the feed point load.
That is generally true, but I mentioned the ECML incident a few posts back. In that case it looks like a blockage was cleared and all the trains queuing behind started away one after the other. Hence there would be several trains running at reasonable speeds but also accelerating, which is the operating mode that draws most power. I don't know if this might be an area where power is marginal - certainly upgrades have been done on the ECML to cope with more frequent electric trains.

AM9

Veteran Member
That is generally true, but I mentioned the ECML incident a few posts back. In that case it looks like a blockage was cleared and all the trains queuing behind started away one after the other. Hence there would be several trains running at reasonable speeds but also accelerating, which is the operating mode that draws most power. I don't know if this might be an area where power is marginal - certainly upgrades have been done on the ECML to cope with more frequent electric trains.
So under those 'ECML circumstances', would control advise those trains to accelerate using a lower setting until traffic operation is nearer normal to avoid any undervoltage or overcurrent tripping or just keep their fingers crossed? Also are any precautions taken with the more vulnerable 3rd rail supplies?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So under those 'ECML circumstances', would control advise those trains to accelerate using a lower setting until traffic operation is nearer normal to avoid any undervoltage or overcurrent tripping or just keep their fingers crossed? Also are any precautions taken with the more vulnerable 3rd rail supplies?

There would be an instruction in the signalbox that in such circumstances not to have more than ‘x’ trains move off within a given area.

AM9

Veteran Member
There would be an instruction in the signalbox that in such circumstances not to have more than ‘x’ trains move off within a given area.
OK thanks, - it's reassuring that steps are taken to mitigate a poor supply situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.