• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PowerPoints and Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

1D53

Established Member
Two quick Q's:

1) Are any FGW station in the South West fitted with free Wi-fi, either owned by FGW or private companies?

2) Do FGW HST's, 180's and sleeper have powerpoints in standard/seated accom? Are MML HST's fitted these days or not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Two quick Q's:

1) Are any FGW station in the South West fitted with free Wi-fi, either owned by FGW or private companies?

2) Do FGW HST's, 180's and sleeper have powerpoints in standard/seated accom? Are MML HST's fitted these days or not?

Exeter SD and Plymouth, Bristol TM have wifi. HSTs have powerpoints, dont think 180s do and MML hsts do not.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Exeter SD and Plymouth, Bristol TM have wifi. HSTs have powerpoints, dont think 180s do and MML hsts do not.

But the Wifi isn't free! £2.99 for 30 mins or £4.50 for an hour IIRC. Didn't notice any power points at the seats when I did the seated sleeper last week.

1D53

Established Member
I did want to try and track some of my journeys on the GPS unit in my new mobile but without a charger its likely to drain and die very very quickly.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I read a poster about Reading having WiFi.

Are there any stations at all throughout the country with free WiFi?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are there any stations at all throughout the country with free WiFi?

York.

'Great Eastern' has also informed me that there is free WiFi at Bures station; although it's not official :lol:

Gizmogle

Established Member
Also, quite a few First Class lounges have free WiFi. I know VWC lounges do anyway.

You can probably just go sit next to the lounge with your laptop :p

djw1981

Established Member
IIRC some lounges are secure but free - the lounge staff will give customers the SSID code. IIRC Edinburgh is like this because otherwise everyone could/would stand outside and use it for free.

metrocammel

Theres is (or was in May) 'free' wifi at Bath station if you sit on the bench outside the coffee shop- I was waiting for a late (around 2200, when the shop was well closed) tram to Reading, and the 'coffee shop wifi' was very strong.
Regarding the fGW beds, there are no plugs, however, if I every travel on the beds, I always take a foreign (European- UK) plug converter with me, and plug the two-prongs into the shaver socket- it's always worked perfectly for me- charging mobiles / laptops etc.

1D53

Established Member
if I every travel on the beds, I always take a foreign (European- UK) plug converter with me, and plug the two-prongs into the shaver socket- it's always worked perfectly for me- charging mobiles / laptops etc.

I like the plan - although I haven't got a berth!

djw1981

Established Member
will work for laptop and mobile because these have transformes which alter the incoming voltages and can adapt to 230/110v. However anything running directly from mains could be a problem.

Mintona

Established Member
In the restaurant car there are plugs, so if you go there, and drink a lemonade or something really slowly, you should be able to get your phone charged up.

devon_metro

Established Member
In the restaurant car there are plugs, so if you go there, and drink a lemonade or something really slowly, you should be able to get your phone charged up.

Not advisable mind and the sockets do state "Not for public use"

Mintona

Established Member
They didn't when I went on in early April, we definitely charged stuff and there was no signs up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.