• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prague - Tickets

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
You can easily buy the whole network ticket on the PID Litačka app.

Only thing to bear in mind with the app is that tickets don't activate until two minutes after you press the button to do so.

sonic2009

Established Member
Thanks all, I stumbled across the map on Reddit.

I'm guessing I can get a mix of traction within the zones?

Also the Railcar that was suggested does anyone know the route number?

The exile

Established Member
Worth pointing out that some of the routes have a very limited service (tourist services at w/ends and public holidays only - several of which employ historic traction / units). Still plenty of variety about. Can't find the thread with the railcar mentioned but one historic railcar is employed at weekends on a Prague - PHA-Zlicin service.

Also worth bearing in mind that the route numbers aren't much help "on the ground".

sonic2009

Established Member
Can't find the thread with the railcar mentioned but one historic railcar is employed at weekends on a Prague - PHA-Zlicin service.

Also worth bearing in mind that the route numbers aren't much help "on the ground".
The thread in question was :

Veteran Member
Also the Railcar that was suggested does anyone know the route number?
Can't find the thread with the railcar mentioned but one historic railcar is employed at weekends on a Prague - PHA-Zlicin service.

The line is S65 - which AFAIK now starts from Hlavni, rather than Smichov West (or when I did it, a platform in a goods yard close to Na Knizneci bus station!). It's fine on the service train, whatever unit it is these days :)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The S65 now runs from Hlavní Nadraží then to the main part of Smíchov before heading up to Hostivice.

Smíchov Severní Nastupiste (North Platform) is now closed.

The unit used is still an 810.

The exile

Established Member
The S65 now runs from Hlavní Nadraží then to the main part of Smíchov before heading up to Hostivice.

...or an 830 on the weekend extra "Prazsky Motoracek" trains (normal fares apply).

Zamracene749

A 72hour central zone ticket- zones P,O,D is 330czk. This basically covers the area roughly corresponding to the extremes of the tram and metro, plus the airport. Note that this ticket also covers your baggage, which single tickets don't, so represents excellent value. As you wish to ride some of the outer zones too, then i'd advise purchasing the 24 hour 140czk Regional ticket, that will cover you OUTSIDE of the P, O, D Prague city zones that your 330czk 72hour ticket already covers.
Note that none of the tickets cover the vintage weekend trams 41, 42, but they do allow travel on the daily heritage tram 23 services.
Every road/tram vehicle in the area has a clear clock mounted inside at the front, as do most local trains, that displays the zone that you are currently in.
The whole area is amazing to travel around in that you can go from city centre to sleepy branch line rural within 20 or 30 minutes!
Really pretty IMO are the lines to Dobris or Cercany(some loco hauled double deckers on a weekend), the Cercany to Svetla nad Sazavou 'Pacific' line, and the branches from these to Kolin. The bus fro m Smichov to Sedlcany is a nice ride too, as is the train back.
Enjoy :)

sonic2009

Established Member
Really pretty IMO are the lines to Dobris or Cercany(some loco hauled double deckers on a weekend), the Cercany to Svetla nad Sazavou 'Pacific' line, and the branches from these to Kolin. The bus fro m Smichov to Sedlcany is a nice ride too, as is the train back.
Enjoy :)
What ticket would I require for this? And easy to do on a Wednesday/Thursday?

Veteran Member
What ticket would I require for this? And easy to do on a Wednesday/Thursday?
The combination that beermaddavep suggested in #11 would cover you.

The loco-hauleds are weekend only but the routes are lovely even with units, though the Dobris branch has a very limited weekday service these days.

sonic2009

Established Member
Thanks for all the help. Lots of varied traction about. Great value for the all zones ticket.

sonic2009

Established Member
Czechia == great value, once you've worked out who doesn't operate what.
I've gathered this today travelling around the Prague zonal system.

I've been on Regiojet - must say impressed by the Chinese built EMU that was on the R23 Kolin-Usti nad Labem, I've also noticed a few Arriva DMUs, so how does this work within the regions are these private operators paid a management fee or something?

The exile

Established Member
I've gathered this today travelling around the Prague zonal system.

I've been on Regiojet - must say impressed by the Chinese built EMU that was on the R23 Kolin-Usti nad Labem, I've also noticed a few Arriva DMUs, so how does this work within the regions are these private operators paid a management fee or something?
Regional services are put out to tender.

nwales58

Regions decide service specification and put it out to tender. I don't speak Czech so I don't know the details but it looks very similar to many other countries, Germany, Netherlands,Sweden etc. Britain is weird, for a large country, in that the UK government specifies regional rail for all of England.

oneticket.cz is their solution to the inevitable multi-operator through ticketing problem.

I've been on Regiojet - must say impressed by the Chinese built EMU that was on the R23 Kolin-Usti nad Labem,
Those are the two sets Leo ordered then refused to accept because they failed to be certified according to the contract I believe.

If so the interiors are probably still Leo's long-distance specification, much nicer than a unit designed for regional work.

Last edited:

Re6/6

If you are over 70 all local transport in the Prague area, including the funicular up to the observation tour is free. Best to have your passport with you in case of a revenue check at a barrier - In my case my partner and myself were just waved through!

Whisky Papa

If you are over 70 all local transport in the Prague area, including the funicular up to the observation tour is free. Best to have your passport with you in case of a revenue check at a barrier - In my case my partner and myself were just waved through!
Actually, it is over 65 rather than 70. However, it appears a passport alone is not valid as proof on trains within the Prague area, a local chip card or pass is required, according to the PID website. My underscore in the quote below.

There is also a 50% discount throughout the PID region beyond Prague.

SENIOR FROM 65 YEARS​

Prague – travel for free​

Seniors from 65 years of age travel in the area of Prague for free, if they are able to prove their age:

• National identity card issued by a European Union country [
    neVlak.svg
    This proof cannot be used on trains.]
  • Passport [
    neVlak.svg
  • A chip card registered in the PID Lítačka system with an application proving the age
  • A PID pass for Seniors from 65 years
If a senior cannot prove eligibility (age) by one of the above methods, they must purchase a full-price ticket.

Region – 50% discount​

Seniors from 65 years of age travel with a 50% discount in the entire PID area outside of Prague. Passenger must present a valid ID or passport that proves their age.

Veteran Member
Except for at least one ferry - I got caught out!

Zamracene749

Thanks for all the help. Lots of varied traction about. Great value for the all zones ticket.
I should add that the line I recommended to Cercany is the one that takes ages via Tynec nad Sazavou, rather than the fast 'cityelefant' worked line, although that isn't too bad a ride! Should be Regionova worked during the week. Hope you are enjoying it all, my favourite destination

Jamesrob637

Established Member
You can easily buy the whole network ticket on the PID Litačka app.

Only thing to bear in mind with the app is that tickets don't activate until two minutes after you press the button to do so.

I've activated a ticket when I've decided what train I'm getting on, but realistically you won't see a guard for at least 2 minutes thereafter!

Belperpete

Established Member
Actually, it is over 65 rather than 70. However, it appears a passport alone is not valid as proof on trains within the Prague area, a local chip card or pass is required, according to the PID website. My underscore in the quote below.

There is also a 50% discount throughout the PID region beyond Prague.

SENIOR FROM 65 YEARS​

Prague – travel for free​

Seniors from 65 years of age travel in the area of Prague for free, if they are able to prove their age:

• National identity card issued by a European Union country [
    neVlak.svg
  • Passport [
    neVlak.svg
  • A chip card registered in the PID Lítačka system with an application proving the age
  • A PID pass for Seniors from 65 years
If a senior cannot prove eligibility (age) by one of the above methods, they must purchase a full-price ticket.

Region – 50% discount​

Seniors from 65 years of age travel with a 50% discount in the entire PID area outside of Prague. Passenger must present a valid ID or passport that proves their age.
Getting a PID seniors pass is a doddle. I got mine yesterday - just turn up at one of their sales points with your passport, a passport photo and 60Cz, and it was in my hand in less than 5 minutes. The girl did query why I wanted one, as you only really need it if you want to travel on the trains. However, it saves having to carry your passport around with you, in case you are challenged on the trams, buses, trolleybuses etc. What I didn't appreciate from the website is that it is valid indefinitely- you don't need to renew it each year.

NB: not all info points are full sales points. And I did pick a time when the sales point was quiet. There can be significant queues at some of them in the mornings and lunchtimes when the locals are renewing their season tickets.

It hasn't run from Hlavni Nadrazi since November 23, when they had to reduce the number of trains over the river bridge. It now runs from platform 3 track 8 in the main Smichov station (a new ground level platform that they have constructed with access off platform 3). Ridership picked up markedly when the trains were running to H.N. but sadly if my experience today is anything to go by, they have fallen back to previous levels. I was almost the only one left on the train when we arrived into Smichov.

Arriving into Smichov, we stopped in the middle of what looked like a building site with diggers on both sides of us. Nothing much seemed to be happening, and I was musing "this can't be the station!" when a door opened and someone got on, the driver ran to the back of the train and we promptly reversed back, seemingly the way we had come! We then stopped again, the driver hot footed it back to the front, and off we set into the main station. It appears that they have to do a double reverse to access the platform. I realised that the person who had joined the train was a member of staff, whether acting in official capacity such as a pilot man, or just cadging a lift, I don't know.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Ridership picked up markedly when the trains were running to H.N. but sadly if my experience today is anything to go by, they have fallen back to previous levels. I was almost the only one left on the train when we arrived into Smichov.
I took a 'short' Hostivice-Zlíčin service back in January and it had about six on - not bad for a cold evening! There's definitely demand for tram connections from there it seems but less so trundling down the hill.

In fairness, services *to* Hlavní Nadraží won't have been that well used anyway, as IIRC some were timetabled to take a fairly daft time to get there (25 mins from Smíchov). Clearly their presence was a bit of an inconvenience to begin with! In the opposite direction the paths seemed to be kinder.

Belperpete

Established Member
I took a 'short' Hostivice-Zlíčin service back in January and it had about six on - not bad for a cold evening! There's definitely demand for tram connections from there it seems but less so trundling down the hill.

In fairness, services *to* Hlavní Nadraží won't have been that well used anyway, as IIRC some were timetabled to take a fairly daft time to get there (25 mins from Smíchov). Clearly their presence was a bit of an inconvenience to begin with! In the opposite direction the paths seemed to be kinder.
Just to correct my previous post, they stopped running to HN in December.

25 minutes may not have been quick, but certainly quicker than changing trains at Smichov, or onto the metro or tram. My experience on a variety of services between Zlicin and HN last year were that the railcar was full, and even standing at times, picking up passengers at all the stops on the way. For those travelling across town, the journey via HN would have been a lot quicker and more convenient than any of the alternatives.