• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preferred ticket format poll (paper ticket vs smartphone app etc.)

Which ticket format is the one you prefer to use while travelling?

• Paper ticket from booking office/ticket machine

• Paper ticket printed on A4 at home

• Phone app

• Smartcard, e.g. "The Key" or similar (like Transport for London Oyster card)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungaroosh

Off the back of this thread ...

I will be interested to see the results!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My preferred format is e-ticket. My least preferred format is m-ticket. You've lumped those under the same option of "phone app". I've voted for that for now though.

Bungaroosh

My preferred format is e-ticket. My least preferred format is m-ticket. You've lumped those under the same option of "phone app". I've voted for that for now though.
I can add another category, but I'm not clear about the differences between an m-ticket and an e-ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can add another category, but I'm not clear about the differences between an m-ticket and an e-ticket.

An e-ticket is issued as a PDF file and can be added to Apple Wallet or Android Pay, as well as being able to be printed out on A4. It does not require activation.

An m-ticket is tied to the TOC app on one phone, requires activation and typically only shows the ticket as valid for one day so doesn't work for overnight break of journey.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I prefer an e-ticket. That is, a pdf sent by email to my phone and capable of being scanned by a machine or read by a human when displayed or printed out. No specific app being required.

Are people still not aware of the difference between that an an m-ticket?

Haywain

Veteran Member
So, paper ticket can mean more than one thing, and a ticket on a pdf doesn't need a phone app.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Typically look like this...

CCST ticket.png

(Example of "CCST" i.e. Credit Card Sized Ticket, measuring 8.5 cm x 5.4 cm)

Bog roll ticket.jpg

(Example of a somewhat larger sized "Bog roll" ticket measuring 13 cm x 8 cm or maybe even slightly wider)

Bungaroosh

Happy for the moderators (or myself) to delete this thread and someone who knows more about electronic tickets to set up the poll with the relevant options.

Despite not owning a car for 29 years and having lived in England that whole time, relying on trains for travel outside the town where I live, the intricacies of the British railway ticketing system continue to bamboozle and astound.

Maybe that's another reason why I've stuck with Credit Card Sized Paper Tickets.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Mtickets may only be used by a specific person, usually the person whose name is on the payment card. Generally they are also only available in one device.

gg1

Established Member
CCST for me, the simplest, lowest faff ticket from the point of view of ticket checks.

Haywain

Veteran Member
(Example of a somewhat larger sized "Bog roll" ticket measuring 13 cm x 8 cm or maybe even slightly wider)
That's larger than the current version - all the gumph to the right of the barcode has now been removed. The PRT example in front of me measures 79mm x 145mm.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That's larger than the current version - all the gumph to the right of the barcode has now been removed. The PRT example in front of me measures 79mm x 145mm.
79 mm is 8 cm give or take a millimetre.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Off the back of this thread ...

I will be interested to see the results!
None of these.

e-tickets are the way forward, not tickets shown within apps!

See:

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Here's an example of an e-ticket. Deliberatly defaced to hide ticket number.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220511-171733~2.png
    Screenshot_20220511-171733~2.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 45

gg1

Established Member
CCST for me, the simplest, lowest faff ticket from the point of view of ticket checks.
eTicket for me - the simplest, lowest faff ticket for checking.
CCST - take wallet out of pocket> take ticket out of wallet
eTicket - take phone out of pocket> unlock phone> navigate to app> find relevant ticket

The first way is quicker and can be done while I'm looking where I'm going rather than looking down at my phone screen

Bungaroosh

None of these.

e-tickets are the way forward, not tickets shown within apps!

See:
I knew I'd end up getting this wrong.

Happy for the moderators to delete this thread and someone who knows more about electronic tickets to set up the poll with the relevant options.
As in just the preferred format for travelling on the train (not the preferred purchase method)

Haywain

Veteran Member
79 mm is 8 cm give or take a millimetre.
Having measured in mm should I give a mixed measurement to keep you happy? Anyway, I wasn't taking issue with the difference of 1 mm, I was making the point that the PRT example illustrated would be considerably longer than the suggested 13cm.

BJames

Established Member
Absolutely agreed. I avoid m-tickets at all costs. They need to be scrapped asap.

Haywain

Veteran Member
eTicket - take phone out of pocket> unlock phone> navigate to app> find relevant ticket

The first way is quicker and can be done while I'm looking where I'm going rather than looking down at my phone screen
I'll have the ticket on the phone screen, and to wake it up takes a touch of my finger on the back of the phone. It's far easier than faffing with a wallet.

Trainbike46

Established Member
My personal preference is CCST, because it's available for all ticket types, and doesn't require me to get my own printer working (not a massive fan of showing tickets on my phone)

Having said that, I would be delighted if SailRail flows became available as eTicket, because we don't have TVMs here in NI to collect tickets from. Currently I have to either buy from stena over the phone for collection from the ferry terminal, or I have to get the tickets through first class post. both are a faff

Status
Not open for further replies.