• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved Railways and Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

In this time of tightening the money belts etc I hope that not too many of our preserved railways are not paying the bills due to lack of income (or bad management) as I was informed yesterday that railway X was having papers served on them....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
In this time of tightening the money belts etc I hope that not too many of our preserved railways are not paying the bills due to lack of income (or bad management) as I was informed yesterday that railway X was having papers served on them....

I think from what Ive heard that most railways have had a good year, boosted by people foregoing their holidays abroad.

MichealPoole

I think from what Ive heard that most railways have had a good year, boosted by people foregoing their holidays abroad.

"Staycations" are becoming more popular, probably due to the lack of disposable income some people are use to.

I would agree that a lot of the stress has been taken off rail networks by the lack of foreign holidays... Let's hope it's positive news as closing down historical landmarks for the sake of a few quid ('chicken feed' as Boris would put it) would be very sad!

tempests1

I have been noticing on my local preserved railway the Mid Hants. That they have diversified as not only do they they do two Thomas weeks, they are now doing a Peppa Pig week in addition to all the other events. Peppa Pig is the one of the biggest childrens characters and the merchandise has generated £200 million the biggest figure for a cartoon/character. I wish them well. Will take my boys to see Thomas but not Peppa as they tell me it is too girlie:) So the preserved railways have to diversify or die. It might upset the purists but the family money is what really keeps things going not the enthusiasts. I think we will see lots more tie ins and collaborations with children characters.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I have been noticing on my local preserved railway the Mid Hants. That they have diversified as not only do they they do two Thomas weeks, they are now doing a Peppa Pig week in addition to all the other events. Peppa Pig is the one of the biggest childrens characters and the merchandise has generated £200 million the biggest figure for a cartoon/character. I wish them well. Will take my boys to see Thomas but not Peppa as they tell me it is too girlie:) So the preserved railways have to diversify or die. It might upset the purists but the family money is what really keeps things going not the enthusiasts. I think we will see lots more tie ins and collaborations with children characters.

Thats the way to do it, lots of railways are coming up with new ideas. Most have had to. Shows what can be done.

Neccesity is the mother of invention.

Agreed :) & its good to see young parents choose a preserved railway for a family day out. Surely the kids have a better time as opposed to eating chicken nuggets in a 'family pub located near a traffic island' :)

Still i think that the Rail Enthusiasts are essential customers, after all at £25 a head (which i think is great value) tomorrows east lancs diesel weekend must pull in equally essential funds for the preserved railway.

nferguso

Still i think that the Rail Enthusiasts are essential customers...

I think we need to make sure we have an understanding of the term 'Rail Enthusiast' as it's a pretty broad church.

Many people fall into this demographic without necessarily associating themselves with it. Similarly, railways have to address the rest of their party, often their family.

Take for example the so-called 'typical' family of Mum, Dad, Son and Daughter. Dad may be a mild enthusiast in the sense that he has a passing knowledge of railways, might have been more enthusiastic before girls and ale came along, rather likes certain types or classes and managed to persuade the family to pay a visit to his local line.

Maybe one child, probably the son but don't discount the daughter, also has an interest but the others probably have no interest at all.

It's the other two that our railways need to focus on.

What else is there to do at the railway? Is there somewhere to go to get a decent cuppa and snack; is it clean and family friendly or just the staff canteen? Finally, are the loos clean and is there somwhere decent to change baby's nappy?

At Wirksworth we are often asked how we feel about the competition from Peak Rail, Butterley, Crich and Cheddleton. Our view is that they are not competition at all; simply more reasons for enthusiasts to visit the area. Our real competition comprises of stately homes, garden centres and other out-and-out visitior attractions.

Attract the non-enthusiasts in a family and it makes it easier to attract the enthusiasts.

Comments please!

Neil

neilmc

Rather than spending millions to build individual locos such as "Tornado", maybe we should mass-build a new class of blue tank engines for the preserved railway market, complete with smiley-face smokebox.

Wheesh!

nferguso

Rather than spending millions to build individual locos such as "Tornado", maybe we should mass-build a new class of blue tank engines for the preserved railway market, complete with smiley-face smokebox.

Wheesh!

An amusing thought but never, ever, treat non-enthusiast customers with derision. Their money is the same as that of enthusiasts and if you treat them with contempt, they won't come back.

Neil

Clip

Established Member

Wheesh!

Im sure these would bring in lots of extra money for the preserved railways no need to look down on your nose at them

Status
Not open for further replies.