• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preserved stock in PTE livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm sure those doing the work have done their research, but that "Metro-Train" font looks like the older-style one from the green era, rather than one contemporary with that livery. Presumably there was a short time between the livery changing and the new typeface being rolled out... but it's over 30 years ago now.

Neptune

Established Member
I'm sure those doing the work have done their research, but that "Metro-Train" font looks like the older-style one from the green era, rather than one contemporary with that livery. Presumably there was a short time between the livery changing and the new typeface being rolled out... but it's over 30 years ago now.
It’s the correct logo for the units as built. They changed it to the red circle ‘M’ logo a few years after introduction.

1634988790466.jpeg

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It’s the correct logo for the units as built. They changed it to the red circle ‘M’ logo a few years after introduction.

View attachment 104482
Thought that would be the case. The old style typeface and "rose" logo is something that in my head I associate with my early childhood, though it still lives on in a few places to this day. I think there was a thread a few years back on the subject.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes indeed. The driving trailers still retain the SPTE Orange/Black livery (or Red/Black as it's sometimes referred to), while the motor coach has the later SPT Carmine/Cream colours. The motor coach from the Orange/Black set (303032) was, as the story goes at least, damaged at Immingham, with the motor coach from one of the 4 sets to receive Carmine/Cream livery (specifically, 303023) being substituted as a result.

I’m just bouncing this up because there’s a good bit of footage of the 303 near the end of this video.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I’m just bouncing this up because there’s a good bit of footage of the 303 near the end of this video.

Aye, I saw on Facebook a few days ago that the 303 was being tidied up. Has brushed up rather well, and that compressor racket, not to mention the doors.... :wub:

Cheers for the link, sir. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aye, I saw on Facebook a few days ago that the 303 was being tidied up. Has brushed up rather well, and that compressor racket, not to mention the doors.... :wub:

Cheers for the link, sir. :)

Ah you’re all over aren’t you. :lol:
Yes nice to see it all working though and it’s in better condition than I’d realised.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Ah you’re all over aren’t you. :lol:
Yes nice to see it all working though and it’s in better condition than I’d realised.
Yeah, but I tell ya: it's a pain in the backside trying to manage my social media accounts sometimes lol

Yeah, it's in real good nick after about 20 years in retirement; being stored undercover for most of that time has likely helped. ;) But I digress; it's nice to see this nostalgia overload in train form slowly come back to life one way or the other.

fgwrich

Established Member

God, those doors seem a bit violent. Slow to open, very quick to shut :lol:

I hadn’t realised BR had installed PEP type seats in those too, which is a bit of a shame. But it’s good to see work being carried out on it and well done to those involved!

XAM2175

Established Member
Yeah, it's in real good nick after about 20 years in retirement; being stored undercover for most of that time has likely helped. ;) But I digress; it's nice to see this nostalgia overload in train form slowly come back to life one way or the other.
I've never actually even seen a 303 in the flesh so it's really rather exciting to see it come even slightly to life.

Just the way they ought to be :E

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I hadn’t realised BR had installed PEP type seats in those too, which is a bit of a shame. But it’s good to see work being carried out on it and well done to those involved!
At least one of them (048?) remained in unrefurbished state until withdrawal. It was one of the units that was sent to Manchester for a few years, meaning I had a chance to ride it to Glossop.

Status
Not open for further replies.