• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston barrier-free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian1944

I came across a reference somewhere a while ago that there were no ticket barriers at Preston. Is this still so?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Last time I went I didn't notice any barriers but there were manual checks. This was just over a year ago.

ian1944

I asked because I have an offpeak return Edinburgh-Manchester with a change necessary at Preston on the outward journey, and would like a brief BOJ outside the station, but am not sure if this is allowed.

Sheepy1209

Still barrier-free, and while manual checks can happen anywhere, anytime I've only ever seen them being done on the footbridge to platform 1 (the Blackpool line). Even then, I've never seen checks at the subway end, so it's a bit of a token effort.

They're building a new entrance on the Fishergate side, don't know if that'll make much difference.

bengley

Established Member
I asked because I have an offpeak return Edinburgh-Manchester with a change necessary at Preston on the outward journey, and would like a brief BOJ outside the station, but am not sure if this is allowed.

You can break your journey anywhere you like, barriers or not.

Veteran Member
ISTR reports in the prosecutions thread of blocks on the exit off P7 by the subway?

However, I agree that the P1-2 footbridge is consistently staffed, and nowhere else.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think introducing barriers to Preston or Carlisle would be unmanageable longterm given the numbers of stations served that have niether a staff presence or any automated ticketing facilitties. Is the new entrance at PRE a replacement for the current main one by the booking office or additional?

ian1944

Yes, this is the general condition for the ticket type, but I've just done a check on brfares. The ticket matching the price I paid shows Restriction 8A, the wording of which turns out to be:

OUTWARD TRAVEL
Valid on any train.

Break of journey is not
permitted except to change
trains at an intermediate
station or to access station
facilities.

But there's no reference to this on the ticket (Off-Peak Return, Edinburgh to Manchester Stations via Carlisle), so how the ordinary passenger is meant to know is a mystery - and how can checking staff be expected to be familiar with conditions pertaining to every ticket, with no display of restriction code?

I suspect that I would be OK leaving the station, but it's a most unsatisfactory position.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I have never, ever been refused same-day BoJ between connections on any ticket, whether technically permitted or not, and whether the station was barriered or not.

"Just popping out to the shops mate"
"OK, no problem"

In any case the layout of Preston is such that you have to go outside of any "manual barriered" area (when they bother) to access some of the station services e.g. the ticket office and to change platforms if not wishing to use the subway.

You will not have an issue.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Technically not on that ticket:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EDB&dest=MAN&grpd=0438&rte=275&tkt=SVR

However in practice there will not be an issue with popping out to the shops between connections.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suspect that I would be OK leaving the station, but it's a most unsatisfactory position.

I'm certain you would; I've done it many times on all kinds of ticket, Advances included. I agree that restriction is pointless and should be abolished, with BoJ to be permitted on all tickets. It's not as if there is really any significant potential for abuse here - it's the return half, valid for a month, that is vulnerable to that, and BoJ is always permitted there.

If that kicks up fare anomalies, solve those.

Last edited:

Sheepy1209

Slightly off-topic, but the BOJ restriction is more of an issue on the London services, where off-peak tickets from Lancaster aren't valid for boarding at Preston.

The open nature of Preston station means loads of people routinely use such a ticket to take advantage of the more generous off-peak availability from Lancaster - I know of several people who didn't even know there was a restriction, they just thought they'd found a cunning and legitimate workaround saving them the best part of 300 quid!

The OP will be absolutely fine.

(Edited 9 months later - Virgin have clamped down heavily on this trick with checks at Preston every morning. Lots of threads, definitely not something to be contemplated.)

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

barriers or not you can go outside of the station regardless of whatever the conditions say. Staff have to be pragmatic. How else could you have a fag?

Why do people worry so much? There will be no problem

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I think introducing barriers to Preston or Carlisle would be unmanageable longterm given the numbers of stations served that have niether a staff presence or any automated ticketing facilitties. Is the new entrance at PRE a replacement for the current main one by the booking office or additional?

I don't understand why this would be unmanageable, surely those people should still have a ticket (but buy it on the train)?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't understand why this would be unmanageable, surely those people should still have a ticket (but buy it on the train)?

i think it would be more the space to hold people while they were processed IF the guard was unable to sell them tickets on the train - Preston seems to have a really cramped exit/entrance layout

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
i think it would be more the space to hold people while they were processed IF the guard was unable to sell them tickets on the train - Preston seems to have a really cramped exit/entrance layout

The problem is that the relatively grand main entrance doesn't go anywhere useful unless using a car/taxi - the main one people use is the Fishergate entrance which is a tiny door direct onto the footbridge.

In BR days (I can just about remember as a kid!) that used to have a manual barrier in one of those little fibreglass sheds, but I don't recall if you could buy a ticket there or had to walk round.

It looks like the revamp will create a new entrance slightly down the hill onto disused "platform 7", which is stated will include TVMs, which I imagine could allow this entrance to be closed and two barrier lines to be fitted, one in the old entrance where the present ticket office is, and one in the new entrance. This would also have the effect of making the footbridge somewhat secondary as a means of accessing platforms, replaced by the underpass as primary access.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Darlo has it in 1 there. As an example the other week I rode a 3 coach 158 from Blackpool North to Halifax on a Fri morning. Due to staff shortage the booking office at Blackpool was closed with the only option being 1 TVM and a lady with a handheld. Pax were being allowed on ticketless and although the grip did his best he had to announce on approach to Preston that he was sorry the entire train hadnt been got through and pax without tickets should ask any staff or go to the office.

There are many such stations with only part time booking offices, card only machines or nout which have well used train services into the likes of Preston or indeed Carlisle and barriering these without a large number of handheld sellers or a multi window platform side excess office would be both unmanageable and potentially quite delay inducing

PR1Berske

Established Member
I'm currently at Preston. Manual checks along the ramp and the 1/2 footbridge. My ticket was circled by the person who took a look at it.

Veteran Member
It looks like the revamp will create a new entrance slightly down the hill onto disused "platform 7", which is stated will include TVMs, which I imagine could allow this entrance to be closed and two barrier lines to be fitted, one in the old entrance where the present ticket office is, and one in the new entrance. This would also have the effect of making the footbridge somewhat secondary as a means of accessing platforms, replaced by the underpass as primary access.

The new building will be much more convenient for car park users (and perhaps for the shopping centre), but it would be very odd to rip out the newly installed facilities in the main entrance to put in a gateline. So either a limited gateline close to the footbridge or no change IMO.

Sheepy1209

This thread having been resurrected I've re-read my post from last July - and edited it. Since then Virgin have become very thorough at checking tickets on all access points to the platforms, at least until off-peak tickets to London become valid.

It was particularly annoying to have my ticket checked (fine), only to be delayed for a second check because a platform change had been announced, when entering the subway....

Chrism20

Established Member
I've been working in Preston for months now and the barriers at the entrances and ramps are now a very regular feature.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've been working in Preston for months now and the barriers at the entrances and ramps are now a very regular feature.

I was amused to notice the Northern contracted ticket checking staff on the bridge to P1 during the strike, where they were hanging around looking bored checking tickets for about 1tph.

Preston would be difficult to barrier without closing the "main entrance" from the Fishergate Centre. (Which isn't really the main entrance, but is certainly the busiest one).

childwallblues

Established Member
I was amused to notice the Northern contracted ticket checking staff on the bridge to P1 during the strike, where they were hanging around looking bored checking tickets for about 1tph.

The staff will be advising passengers that there were no Northern Trains. Or did some run?

As of right now, Preston has no barriers but ticket checks are still on the P1&2 bridge as well as checks that occur most of the day on the P3&4 ramp down from main entrance and sometimes on the 3&4 subway entrance, but only for about an hour a day on the latter.

childwallblues

Established Member
As of right now, Preston has no barriers but ticket checks are still on the P1&2 bridge as well as checks that occur most of the day on the P3&4 ramp down from main entrance and sometimes on the 3&4 subway entrance, but only for about an hour a day on the latter.

I think that you have summed it up nicely.

Elecman

Established Member

The 3/4 subway ramp or when pl 5/6 are used are only manned until the last peak London departure, after that it's not manned at all

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 3/4 subway ramp or when pl 5/6 are used are only manned until the last peak London departure, after that it's not manned at all

No doubt trying to catch those trying to "start short" with cheaper Lancaster - Euston tickets. The rest of the day the Warrington-Preston-Lancaster corridor appears to be a free for all on Virgin services.

Status
Not open for further replies.