• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prettiest Stations in the UK

What are some of the most visually stunning stations on the network?

My favourites near me are:
Torquay - Lovely station that looks well kept and surrounded in pleasant shrubbery. Also one of my favourite places.
Crediton - Georgeous pink colour scheme and a charming signal box. Somehow rather quaint despite being surrounded by houses.
Okehampton - very very photogenic. I'm so glad they reopened this line.
Dawlish - views speak for themselves really.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjiw17

What are some of the most visually stunning stations on the network?

My favourites near me are:
Torquay - Lovely station that looks well kept and surrounded in pleasant shrubbery. Also one of my favourite places.
Crediton - Georgeous pink colour scheme and a charming signal box. Somehow rather quaint despite being surrounded by houses.
Okehampton - very very photogenic. I'm so glad they reopened this line.
Dawlish - views speak for themselves really.
Think it’s fair to say the box at crediton has one of the best ‘office views’!

Llandudno

Established Member
The views from Deganwy station take some beating - Conwy Estuary, Conwy Castle, Conwy Marina, Carneddau Mountains…

Oh and cracking French Bistro ‘Paysanne’ on Station Road, Deganwy!

GCRS

The views from Deganwy station take some beating - Conwy Estuary, Conwy Castle, Conwy Marina, Carneddau Mountains…

Oh and cracking French Bistro ‘Paysanne’ on Station Road, Deganwy!
I'll see your Deganwy and raise you Glan Conwy. (I might be a little biased, though).

railfan99

Established Member
St Bees was one I recall on my September 2023 Global Eurailpass.

One station on the Penistone line from Huddersfield was also notable, but I failed to record in my notebook which one. It was six or seven stations after departing Huddersfield IIRC, close to the junction. (I was travelling to Sheffield).

Of the larger stations, to my surprise as I'd not looked up a photo prior to travel, Hull was very attractive, with a flower stall in the station adding to the atmosphere.

Truro is memorable for its pleasant buildings and semaphore signals, but the latter sadly won't be there forever.

GWVillager

Great Malvern is very pretty. As is Appleby and most S&C stations, frankly. As for the prettiest, though, I’d have to go for Hebden Bridge.

RPI

Established Member
Tyseley, bear in mind it's in not the greatest area.

RetroCrowe

Penhelig is quite a nice one, feels like the sort of station you'd see in a model railway layout because it really ticks all the boxes. By the sea, passing above a picturesque town with a tunnel and bridge at each end of the station and hills surrounding it. Duncraig also has beautiful views. Dolau is lovely too, well-maintained with a heap of various railway paraphernalia on the platforms.

However if heritage lines count, it would be quite difficult to make an argument for anything in the country beating Berwyn.

Rail Quest

Birmingham New Street... lol imagine

For real though, many of the stations on the Heart of Wales line are quite beautiful and some very isolated. Corour station in Scotland comes to mind as well

Western 52

Kyle of Lochalsh- lovely views and a nice little station last time I went there. It was a while ago though as my train was a class 26....

SteveyBee131

Another vote for Hebden Bridge from me. For somewhere a little less busy definitely somewhere on the Settle and Carlisle or the Cumbrian Coast, though it's a while since I've been up there so I'm not sure on a specific one.

Oldgaloot

Huddersfield for me. It's a massive, Grade 1 listed edifice with a facade reminiscent of the Euston arch and a statue of Harold Wilson in the forecourt. Looks best in the rain, I always think.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Huddersfield for me. It's a massive, Grade 1 listed edifice with a facade reminiscent of the Euston arch and a statue of Harold Wilson in the forecourt. Looks best in the rain, I always think.

It'll be looking good this month in that case !

John Luxton

Established Member
Minffordd and Tanybwlch - Ffestiniog Railway
Someone has already mentioned Okehampton and Credition - but I would certainly second that.
Not technically in the UK but Laxey on the Manx Electric and Snaefell Mountain Railways is a delightful location - with tea rooms and Mines Tavern with beer garden offering a good view!
St Erth
Penzance

Western 52

Minffordd and Tanybwlch - Ffestiniog Railway
Someone has already mentioned Okehampton and Credition - but I would certainly second that.
Not technically in the UK but Laxey on the Manx Electric and Snaefell Mountain Railways is a delightful location - with tea rooms and Mines Tavern with beer garden offering a good view!
St Erth
Penzance
I can second Laxey! Lovely station and the village and harbour are nice too.