• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prettiest Stations in the UK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
A couple of nice pictures of Kents Bank station on the Lakeland Cam today, Thurs 14 Dec. (They will remain accessible for about a week but if you try after today you will have to click on "This week on the Cam".) (Edit: they are actually under "Wednesday".)

Last edited:

ian1944

With a bit of nostalgia, Lockerbie on the Caledonian and Dumfries on the G & SW. Both station buildings retain their fine frontages from pre-grouping days. Ayr used to be quite nice too, but it's gone off quite a bit recently.

Novern Uproar

The S&C stations obviously, the architecture at Wemyss Bay is magnificent, again Kemble in the Cotswolds - very atmospheric on a misty evening. However I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pitlochry. Unfortunately NR are currently trying to obtain permission to remove the splendid Victorian footbridge there.

Requeststop

Ah Yes! Lelant, My home station. Though I'd say the view from the station is only picturesque when the Hayle tide is in but nowadays the Station itself is not much. I'm old enough to remember when the Station house was in use as a station house and there was no iron fencing.

St Ives was also a picturesque station until they shortened the line for the car park and destroyed the buildings.

St Erth has always been a lovely station and the recent changes (Park and Ride) have been very nicely done. It remains to be seen what happens to the aesthetic view when the Lifts have been installed and the footbridge has been removed.

Lelant Saltings is a concrete monstrosity in my view and should be totally removed.

Kilopylae

Having looked up a photo, I'll put in a second vote for Irlam.

Of large stations, I suggest either Bristol TM or York. Were it not for the horrible tunnel, it would be Bath Spa, where the platforms and the frontage are both lovely. On the Tube, I think it's probably Swiss Cottage or Baker Street.

I do like Lewes.

Contrary to what seems to be the weight of opinion, whilst Hebden Bridge is lovely, I don't think it's a contender for the best in the UK. Crediton is just as nice!

GWVillager

Having looked up a photo, I'll put in a second vote for Irlam.
Irlam has a lovely building, but it's quite set back, and the opposite platform is rather unpleasant. It's definitely not the prettiest in Britain

Contrary to what seems to be the weight of opinion, whilst Hebden Bridge is lovely, I don't think it's a contender for the best in the UK. Crediton is just as nice!
No way! Crediton's pretty, but nothing like the full canopy, full staffing and hanging baskets of Hebden Bridge.

FtoE

For views Corpach is hard to beat (as well as being a cute little station) For station itself then Wemyss Bay.

Arch9enius

On the main line, Another vote for Lewes. Especially considering that some stations either side of Brighton look like they are from Eastern Europe, and the first thing that greets you at Seaford is a vending machine with no insides... The only thing that mars it is an irrational feeling you might sink into the gravel that's been used to fill in the bay.

For larger stations, Brighton itself gets a vote, only marred by the fact passengers have been turned out of the waiting & refreshment rooms to be shat on by pigeons in the main concourse.

Ones I've not been to .. Great Malvern gets a vote,
Penhelig looks like somewhere in Japan.. a bit.
Cambus o'May looks like nothing else except where you'd get off for the Dangerous school for Wizards.. but half a vote for not actually a station.

On heritage lines, Horstead Keynes, Corfe Castle and Minehead in rough order. On the smaller side of heritage lines Medstead and Four Marks esp. If the signal box is still in situ and all the activity can therefore be seen and heard from right by you as a train threatens...

Off topic, for modernity and efficiency Reading is probably an exellent example, although that awkward kink in passenger flow on the south side might be more obvious during peak hours..

Way off topic, platform 1 at Salisbury looks as though it is inching forward to being brought into use. The only thing missing would seem to be the digital information boards, and most likely the most expensive part being the signalling , which I suspect might be part of that. Meanwhile the coffee and panin outlet on platform 4 had been turned into something similar to a shop on a garage forecourt ...

Chesham, the nearest one can get to feeling like I m in early metroland.
A lot of the Metroplitan line stations are quite nice such as Rickmansworth & Amersham. Some others I quite like not mentioned so far

Marylebone (surprised this has not been mentioned yet)
Princes Risborough
Seer Green & Jordans
Aylesbury
Windsor & Eton Riverside
Stratford Upon Avon
Ridgmont
Chingford

John Luxton

Established Member
Lelant Saltings is a concrete monstrosity in my view and should be totally removed.
Is anything going to happen to the redundant car parking area adjacent? If this is to be built on as presumably it will, might that not make the Saltings station useful once again?