• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PRIV Oysters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
This seems to be being kept very quiet. Priv Oysters for non-safeguarded staff (rail services only not LT) available from end of next week.

Quarter of the usual oyster fare makes a fair difference to some journies. Desribed as "pay as you go area" so presumably includes Watford, Shenfield etc.

A great help to those otherwise left to the whim of Southern gate line agency idiots who don't even know what a priv card is...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
This could be quite useful for getting around London, although I'm surprised that we ("New entrants") might be trusted with such modern technology. It might just make calculating the best fares even more complicated though!

Haywain

Veteran Member
How does the Travelcard cap work on that then?

A good development nonetheless.
I would guess that, as we don't get a discount on Travelcards, the cap would be the same as the public rate but a touch more difficult to reach with the discount. That might be sensible but who knows?

RJ

Established Member
I've had one with a TfL only restriction for years - to be honest, I always reached the daily cap due to use of buses and NR and also having the railcard discounted cap. I doubt it will make a difference to the cap as buses need paying for at the full rate.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I would guess that, as we don't get a discount on Travelcards, the cap would be the same as the public rate but a touch more difficult to reach with the discount. That might be sensible but who knows?

That's how I would expect it to work - just wondering.

Shaggy

This seems to be being kept very quiet. Priv Oysters for non-safeguarded staff (rail services only not LT) available from end of next week.

Quarter of the usual oyster fare makes a fair difference to some journies. Desribed as "pay as you go area" so presumably includes Watford, Shenfield etc.

A great help to those otherwise left to the whim of Southern gate line agency idiots who don't even know what a priv card is...

Not doubting you, but as nothing is on ATOC website (as far as I can see), where can details be found for this?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Saw an internal staff briefing this morning. Presumably will be up on the ATOC site fairly soon.

Comstock

A great help to those otherwise left to the whim of Southern gate line agency staff who haven't even been trained in what a priv card is...

As an agency worker (not currently railways but have done in the past) I had to correct you there.....

ag51ruk

Not doubting you, but as nothing is on ATOC website (as far as I can see), where can details be found for this?

It's not in the "breaking news" bit, just the standard list of News and Offers (at the bottom of this page)

http://www.atoc.org/about-atoc/rail-staff-travel/news-offers/

There isn't a Priv cap on the current safeguarded Oyster Priv discount, it's capped at the standard amount. When you used to be able to buy a Priv One Day Travelcard (valid on tube and DLR only) that was much cheaper than the current cap (£2 for a day I think when it was withdrawn in 2010)

1D53

Established Member
It's great in that it stops people queueing at ticket offices for 80p fares etc. Shame if there isn't a separate cap though as that limits the savings somewhat on multiple journeys.

Has anyone experienced any problems having the discount loaded at the listed stations, or tried to have the discount loaded at a tube station?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's great in that it stops people queueing at ticket offices for 80p fares etc. Shame if there isn't a separate cap though as that limits the savings somewhat on multiple journeys.
If it's any consolation, there's no cap for holders of Safeguarded travel facilities either.
Has anyone experienced any problems having the discount loaded at the listed stations, or tried to have the discount loaded at a tube station?
You can't have it done at LU stations, the option is not available on LU Poms.

You can't have it done at LU stations, the option is not available on LU Poms.

I tried at the Barking c2c ticket office (as that's a station listed on the RSTL release) but was advised they couldn't do it; was told to go to a tube station. At Upton Park the CSA found three priv options to choose from, but wasn't sure which was correct so didn't proceed.

Will try either AGA at Stratford or a LOROL station next.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I tried at the Barking c2c ticket office (as that's a station listed on the RSTL release) but was advised they couldn't do it; was told to go to a tube station. At Upton Park the CSA found three priv options to choose from, but wasn't sure which was correct so didn't proceed.

None of the three options are appropriate. The top option is for Safeguarded staff, the middle option is for the spouse/dependent of Safeguarded staff and the bottom option is for dependent children of non-Safeguarded staff employed by TfL or subsidiary companies.

RJ

Established Member
None of the three options are appropriate. The top option is for Safeguarded staff, the middle option is for the spouse/dependent of Safeguarded staff and the bottom option is for dependent children of non-Safeguarded staff employed by TfL or subsidiary companies.

So how do us hapless TOC staff get the discount :p

TEW

Established Member
Has to be done at a National Rail ticket office which offers Oyster facilities. (Including London Overground and TfL Rail) I've not tried yet myself, something tells me it's not going to be easy at first.

Did you tell them that they work at a LOROL station?

Not explicitly, but I did ask if he was agency staff (to determine if that was why he didn't consider himself part of LOROL), but the answer was no.

Last edited:

redbutton

I asked my local LU staff if they could do it, and the member of staff was nice enough to try. There were three options on the screen, Priv-All, Priv-TfL, and Priv-N.

He suspected the correct one may have been Priv-N but wasn't sure so we didn't do it.

Officially it should be a NR ticket office, so it was nice enough of him to have a go.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I assume the process is still the same for retired protected TfL staff who hold PTACs for themselves and partners.

Is would have thought they could hold an all network priv. It would just be rather foolish to use it on tfl services,

pitdiver

Is would have thought they could hold an all network priv. It would just be rather foolish to use it on tfl services,

I don't live in London so I normally just buy a return to a specific station but don't normally travel around London. I know that I can obtain a priv oyster but haven't done as yet. I was just wondering if the process might have changed.
I have been advised by a member of this forum how to do it so no problem there.

RJ

Established Member
Has to be done at a National Rail ticket office which offers Oyster facilities. (Including London Overground and TfL Rail) I've not tried yet myself, something tells me it's not going to be easy at first.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.