• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Private plates on buses and coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I don't think anyone has mentioned Mayne's of Buckie - a fairly large coach operator in my part of the world. Many of the coaches have "GSM" in their number plates, which were the initials of the late Gordon Mayne. Quite a few have M***YNE, and there's one KGM, which I assume is the current boss's initials.

Historically they also used "BCK", which was the code used on Buckie-registered fishing boats.

Their fleetlist is here (dated 2019), for anyone who is interested:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJames

It's currently on the company staff health bus, a Mercedes-Benz O405N formerly T687 FOB.

Ah, I forgot about that, cheers.

Another one I've remembered, Preston Bus have T3 WSX, adorning ex-London LG02 FDV, as it was a Wessex vehicle before that operation closed.

F262YTJ

Cumfybus of Southport had spell with H-CFY & C-MFY plates. FY being accidentally appropriate because that and WM were Southport registration marks pre 1974.

Also Shearings used several such as YTP749, SPR124, XTW359 from memory. In 1989 they bought a batch of FDZ 3xxx marks that were current Northern Ireland issue at the time but none of these plates were transferred to other coaches. These were put on A and B reg Volvo B10M/Van Hools.

Last edited:

awsnews

One of my local operators has changed their normal practice of using registrations applicable to their name and has recently reregistered one of their fleet as 70 STR. It doesn't take too much thought to work out what the seating capacity of coach is...
You can just about make it out at the end of the row in this wintry view:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Ah, I forgot about that, cheers.

Another one I've remembered, Preston Bus have T3 WSX, adorning ex-London LG02 FDV, as it was a Wessex vehicle before that operation closed.
They have K3WSX and T3WSX which were LG02FDP/FDO and they were all ex Wessex. They also have a Scania Omnidekka that came from Wessex with a special plate BU52UWE which is supposed to read BUS 2 UWE, reflecting its work on Uni services there.

SteveyBee131

Perhaps a less known family run company, J E Holt who trade as Sweyne Coaches, of Swinefleet near Goole, has had some JEH, JJH and JJI plates over the years.

01d-and

Going back to Shelton Orsbourne incorporating their phone number 310 into vehicles registration plates , this also applies to Worths of Enstone with the numbers 322. Although using the letters WMS seems to be the trend nowadays.

Tom Gallacher

First Glasgow used to have M10ULF which IIRC they claimed was the first truly low floor vehicle (pictured below)

M10ULF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSel

They have K3WSX and T3WSX which were LG02FDP/FDO and they were all ex Wessex. They also have a Scania Omnidekka that came from Wessex with a special plate BU52UWE which is supposed to read BUS 2 UWE, reflecting its work on Uni services there.
... or in this case, on the 23 to/from Asda.

Image below shows Rotala Preston 40030 - BU52UWE - by the glazed Victorian shelter on Black Bull Lane, Preston.
40030 - BU52UWE - Preston, Black Bull Lane (2).jpg

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The ****SC plates have been doing the rounds for a while, having been carried on the original Stagecoach express fleet in the 80s. I wonder how many vehicles have carried them over the years.

There are plenty out there with BUS registrations.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyLayton

Image shows two Stagecoach directors cars with SC**** registration plates outside Stagecoach HQ in Perth.

Much appreciated Joel_F. The two **** SC plates featured were on Stagecoach and National Express commercial vehicles back in the day. The photo wasn’t what I was expecting as, for example, one of the Stagecoach regional MD’s has VLT93 on a 2020 Mercedes Benz C class. Personally, I like to see former Routemaster registrations (VLT/WLT/CLT) still being used although they are scarce.

hst43102

Much appreciated Joel_F. The two **** SC plates featured were on Stagecoach and National Express commercial vehicles back in the day. The photo wasn’t what I was expecting as, for example, one of the Stagecoach regional MD’s has VLT93 on a 2020 Mercedes Benz C class. Personally, I like to see former Routemaster registrations (VLT/WLT/CLT) still being used although they are scarce.
No problem at all. I saw that picture in last week's edition of the Oxford Chiltern Bus Page and it seemed relevant for here! I've seen one or two WLT registered cars around here - possibly the local MD

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Empress Coaches use '1066' at the end of all their fleet's plates, barring their two classic coaches. As they're based in Hastings, I hopefully don't need to explain the significance behind it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.