• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems using Tap and Cap using Google Pay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrossley

Established Member
I used Tap and Cap using Google Pay in the last few days and the First portal says I have not made any journeys

It just occurred to me that they only know my virtual card number that the bank gives them when using Google Pay. How do I find the virtual card number?

1658516158167.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

njtruscott

When I logged into a Littlepay portal for a different operator with my physical bank card the account showed me both that card number and my Apple Pay card number. Not sure if Google and Apple work in the same way though?

SSmith2009

If your doing tap on tap off transactions over various days it (should) show once you hit the weekly amount.

I had a similar issue and this is what I was told by customer services.

johncrossley

Established Member
I was overcharged by £4.60. The customer services cannot help because I can't tell them the card number (as it is virtual). They asked if I could get the authorisation code from the bank but the bank won't help. So the only option is to dispute the card payment.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
I was overcharged by £4.60. The customer services cannot help because I can't tell them the card number (as it is virtual). They asked if I could get the authorisation code from the bank but the bank won't help. So the only option is to dispute the card payment.
The virtual card number is in the Google pay app

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was of the impression that Google Pay gave the retailer the proper card number. It certainly does if you use Google Pay to pay via a browser, they even explicitly warn you of this fact when you use it. Though it is possible that the browser version is different from the Android version despite having the same name.

johncrossley

Established Member
If you use Google Pay with TfL you can see the transactions in the contactless account by using the physical card number, so why can't First do that?

pepperpot80

Two things...

1. If you've been overcharged then customer services need the last four digits of your virtual card (as a minimum), and some details of your journey (e.g. the service number and approximate time) are helpful to find your journey.

In the absence of some extra detail to help find the transaction, then the simplest way of identifying a transaction is to obtain the authorisation code, which your card issuer should be more than happy to give you. Always fun when the card issuer decides you aren't allowed to know anything about your own financial transactions though.

2. TfL's contactless and UK bus operator contactless - i.e. those using mytrips.littlepay.co.uk - should both be able to use the underlying funding account identity to retrieve transactions made using the virtual card. However, this depends on a couple of factors, including whether your card issuer supports provision of the funding account identity. Neither is foolproof, and this is likely to be more hit-and-miss with non-UK / non-EU cards.

One good way of 'forcing' this is to make at least one journey with the physical card. Once the bus operator has 'seen' your physical card, the payment system is very likely to be able to show the virtual card transactions when you put in your physical card details.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's possible to view the last four digits of the virtual card number in Google Wallet (as it has now been re-branded):

1. Open Google Pay/Wallet
  2. Swipe left or right to select the relevant card
  3. Tap on the card
  4. Tap "Details"
  5. The virtual card number option will appear, but it will only let you view the last 4 digits

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They shouldn't allow Google Pay until you can use the physical card number in the portal.
Or alternatively, make it work like TfL, where you input your “real” card number, and it shows all transactions, regardless of whether you use the card, phone, watch or any other payment method.

miklcct

On Moderation
I used Tap and Cap using Google Pay in the last few days and the First portal says I have not made any journeys

It just occurred to me that they only know my virtual card number that the bank gives them when using Google Pay. How do I find the virtual card number?

View attachment 118077
I think it is a system limitation. Unless there is a way to tap your phone to register for the portal there isn't a method for you to add that virtual card.

As a result morebus customer service advised me to use a physical card to pay for bus fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.