• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems with trainline: "open return" fares only being valid for one day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
I had a customer at the ticket office who bought an “open return” on a fairly short distance flow that has no period returns - she wasn’t best pleased that she’d have to pay for another single to come back the next day.

Someone should have a word with the Trainline about how they advertise tickets.

pelli

As I said in my previous post, Trainline are not the only ones offering Day Returns (together with period returns) after the passenger initially selects "open return" - the main problem is that their "SplitSave" logo hides the words "Day Return", and that the cheapest ticket is shown separately above the "Return same day"/"Return within 1 month" sections.

Attached are screenshots showing Day Returns being offered after "Open Return" is selected, from the LNER app, the Crosscountry app, the Scotrail app, the GWR app and the c2c app (which I think covers a range of various parent companies). The only app I tested whose "Open Return" didn't include Day Returns was Thameslink (so presumably the other Govia TOCs as well), where if you want a Day Return you have to plan a return itinerary.

So perhaps The Railway has actually decided that "Open Return" means what Trainline thinks it means, and to be honest I think it makes much more sense than the old definition. As long as "Day Return" is prominently shown at the ticket selection phase I don't see a problem with it.

Attachments

• LNER.jpg
    LNER.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 31
  • crosscountry.jpg
    crosscountry.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 32
  • scotrail.jpg
    scotrail.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 27
  • gwr.jpg
    gwr.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 26
  • c2c.jpg
    c2c.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 30

lightbulb

When I started the SOR was valid for 3 months
I remember using an SOR between Luton and Earley (via Reading) in 1987 which was valid for return within three months. I can't recall the validity of the outward portion, but think both portions were valid for three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.