• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

childwallblues

Established Member
But LNR runs fewer services to Liverpool than it did, and all the freight uses diesel these days.
The route's power supply and feeding methods have also been expensively upgraded in recent years as part of WCRM.
There was a brand new power supply put in next to Tuebrook Sidings for the 2015 Chat Moss electrification. What area does that cover?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
There was a brand new power supply put in next to Tuebrook Sidings for the 2015 Chat Moss electrification. What area does that cover?
It wasn’t a “new” power supply point merely a switching sub station. Liverpool area is fed from 132kV Feeder at Speke and partially from the 400 kV Feeder near Weaver

norbitonflyer

Established Member
It could be an error where it thinks trains after the timetable change are 80x, I wouldn't get your hopes up until we know for sure.
What does the equivalent train look like the previoius week? (Which is still after the timetable change).

Inciudentally, i can't see the seat plan, only an aerial view of a nose cone

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Pretty odd lettering in terms of coaches.

It's a bit strange how it goes coaches A, B, C, D then K, followed by L, M, N, P and bounces back to J. I thought they would've kept the lettering similar to the 221s (A, B, C, D, E, G, H, J, K, L).

It tells me I am unable to reserve a seat in Coaches C and N, but half the coach is reserved while half isn't, but Coaches D and P have the same thing. It's a bit confusing because where it changes over to reserved seating, half of a table of four is unreserved.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It tells me I am unable to reserve a seat in Coaches C and N, but half the coach is reserved while half isn't, but Coaches D and P have the same thing. It's a bit confusing because where it changes over to reserved seating, half of a table of four is unreserved.
Assuming we're looking at the same thing, that's the unavailable for reservation look rather than the reserved one, a reserved seat has its number visible and is in blue.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
1711061295908.png1711061331078.png
Image shows the seat maps on an Avanti West Coast double class 805, with half of Coaches C and D being unreserved.
Assuming we're looking at the same thing, that's the unavailable for reservation look rather than the reserved one, a reserved seat has its number visible and is in blue.

I've attached some screenshots to show you what I mean. Half of the seats in Coach D are blanked out (like they would be if reserved), same with Coach C. So I wonder if this will be akin to what LNER do with Coach C on their Azuma sets, in which half of it is available for last minute reservations if the train starts to get full.

It still states Coach C is unreserved, but has seats that would be available for reservation if the pop-up wasn't there.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
View attachment 154694View attachment 154695

I've attached some screenshots to show you what I mean. Half of the seats in Coach D are blanked out (like they would be if reserved), same with Coach C. So I wonder if this will be akin to what LNER do with Coach C on their Azuma sets, in which half of it is available for last minute reservations if the train starts to get full.
That is not reserved, that's Unavailable.
The blue that seat 18 and 22 are are what shows up when a seat is reserved
Avanti seat map showing 2 reserved seats
It still states Coach C is unreserved, but has seats that would be available for reservation if the pop-up wasn't there.
That's just how Avanti trains are, nothing new.

peteryvon

I noticed some services past 3rd July are Standard and First Class only on the Avanti site, is that a small little indication that it MIGHT be a new Class 805?
I'm aware nothing has been announced yet, but want to try my luck with my interrail trip around that time.

Edit;
Talking about the London->Liverpool trains.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I noticed some services past 3rd July are Standard and First Class only on the Avanti site, is that a small little indication that it MIGHT be a new Class 805?
I'm aware nothing has been announced yet, but want to try my luck with my interrail trip around that time.

Edit;
Talking about the London->Liverpool trains.
For the ones I can spot without SP, the seat planner shows Pendolinos, and they're in the normal timeslot, not the 2nd new one which is the one that is expected to have 807s.

peteryvon

For the ones I can spot without SP, the seat planner shows Pendolinos, and they're in the normal timeslot, not the 2nd new one which is the one that is expected to have 807s.
Interesting.
So which trains are (planned/intentioned or how you wanna call it) Class 805?
Because I can't seem to find the seat planner.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
So which trains are (planned/intentioned or how you wanna call it) Class 805?
There's currently extra space in the timetable for a second Liverpool train per hour, which is expected (long term) to be operated by a Class 807.
In future all North Wales Coast services will be Class 805s, replacing the Super Voyagers (Class 221s).

There's no solid date for when 80x will start use, I think the most recent time was "Summer", so we'll see how that goes.
I wouldn't be surprised if the seat planner is just confused and no one noticed it was showing 805s.

childwallblues

Established Member
I'd like to say it is a shambles but knowing Avanti they will make it worst probably next week they will say they are running Voyagers to Liverpool...
But the electric supply is not Avantis fault. It is Network Rails. Anyway way until Network Rail says there is a problem I shall hold my breath. TfN meetings are dominated by politicians and civil servants none of whom I trust these days.

DaveyJones

Pretty odd lettering in terms of coaches.

It's a bit strange how it goes coaches A, B, C, D then K, followed by L, M, N, P and bounces back to J. I thought they would've kept the lettering similar to the 221s (A, B, C, D, E, G, H, J, K, L).

It does mean that all for any given coach letter the classes are the same for Pendolino and the new trains. As in J and K are always first class.

Railperf

Established Member
Presumably till supply is upgraded the 807s will cover Birmingham and Blackpool services
Erm Blackpool still requires running north of Crewe where the power supply is insufficient ..? Unless they have worked out there is enough

Trainbike46

Established Member
Erm Blackpool still requires running north of Crewe where the power supply is insufficient ..? Unless they have worked out there is enough
Depends, is the problem north of Crewe or somewhere between the wcml junction-Runcorn-Liverpool Lime street? if the latter, trains to blackpool is fine, but to Liverpool isn't.

They just need to upgrade it quickly to resolve the issue

Railperf

Established Member
Depends, is the problem north of Crewe or somewhere between the wcml junction-Runcorn-Liverpool Lime street? if the latter, trains to blackpool is fine, but to Liverpool isn't.

They just need to upgrade it quickly to resolve the issue
If the issue is between Weaver Jn and Lime Street, the 805's could still use electric part way and switch to diesel after Weaver?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
But LNR runs fewer services to Liverpool than it did, and all the freight uses diesel these days.
The route's power supply and feeding methods have also been expensively upgraded in recent years as part of WCRM.

The question which needs asking is why the class 807s were ordered as (non Bimode) EMUs, as I am pretty sure they were originally planned to work the Liverpool-Euston route.

Trainbike46

Established Member
The question which needs asking is why the class 807s were ordered as (non Bimode) EMUs, as I am pretty sure they were originally planned to work the Liverpool-Euston route.
That route is fully electric, so they should be running on electric the whole way. If the power supply is insufficient, it should be upgraded. bimodes are a solution for routes that are only partially electrified, not for routes where the power supply needs to be upgraded. ordering EMUs was the right choice.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
That route is fully electric, so they should be running on electric the whole way. If the power supply is insufficient, it should be upgraded. bimodes are a solution for routes that are only partially electrified, not for routes where the power supply needs to be upgraded. ordering EMUs was the right choice.
Exactly. I am on the same page as you, and I don't understand the alleged scenario