• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed Marylebone Aberystwyth Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chafford1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PhilipW

Excellent ........................ but ..........

In 'Rail' magazine (Issue 606 - Dec 3 to Dec 16 2008 - Page 16) there is the headline '"We do not have enough trains" admits ATW boss'.

Now all of a sudden there are spare 158 sets. It's a strange old world.

mrcheek

Established Member
I assume this is in response to Wrexham and Shropshire having a similar long term idea.

devon_metro

Established Member
I'd much rather change than sit on a 158 for 5 hours!

Crowded 158 in the height of summer means no air con and complete hell!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A 2-car 158 would be a bit ridiculous and further extends the notion that people are willing to accept a regional unit for an InterCity service.

EE Type 3

Established Member
The services would be extended Birmingham International ones I'd imagine, a nice shot in the foot for Arriva. They don't even want to run the service, they'd much rather the money spent on refurbishing the state of a fleet known as the 158s. WSMR will be laughing at this proposal, a nice quiet mark 3 with a buffet and lots of luggage space, or a wedged cramped 158 with a trolley and a room for 3 suitcases? I know which one I'd choose....

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd go for the WSMR too, nice simple change at Shrewsbury onto WSMR for London or Wolverhampton onto Virgin. Can't see why anyone would want to go on an extended ATW service unless it was massively cheaper.

Chafford1

Arriva will be focusing on the leisure market and low price advance tickets,so the quality of the rolling stock may be less crucial than for WSMR who,with a pre 9am arrival at Marylebone are also catering for the business market.

In terms of train paths, the off-peak Marylebone arrivals and departures should make it easier for Arriva to get paths south of Birmingham International.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Still all rather pointless as they are in the same boat as WSMR. They wont be able to pick up at Wolves, New St or International unless its advertised as a service to Wembley or somewhere due to the track access clauses. Im not overly convinced the paths are there either, as no one will move for them. Its not like Chiltern and WSMR, where Chilterns quite happily shift for them.

williamn

any new services are good news! But have say a long journey on a 158 does not appeal! They're fine for 2-3 hours but not for 4.5

LilLoaf

Completly stupid idea, i hate travelling with ATW, Wrexham and Shrop would be a lot better for that survice.

4 and a half hours on a 158. it'll be Liverpool - Norwich all over again. Overcrowded, late, air con broken, slow, painfull, noisy, no food + drink, not enough trains.

anthony263

Established Member
pseronally maybe arriva could use spare mark 2 stock and perhaps use the network rail class 97's since they dont seem to be getting used at the moment.

EE Type 3

Established Member
pseronally maybe arriva could use spare mark 2 stock and perhaps use the network rail class 97's since they dont seem to be getting used at the moment.

The 97s are going to be used only on the cambrian once ERTMS comes in, they don't want the 97s being used now for some reason.

Ilove165's

Good idea and all, but....

As has been said:
a)No paths
and
b)No decent traction...
They should do what EMT does with the summer trains to Skeggy....

Just a thought....

Sam

Pumbaa

Established Member
Could be worse, could be a 185!!

Are you having a giraffe? Working air con, comfy seats, comparatively low engine noise and vibration levels and an overall far comfier journey, plus would be quicker if linespeed is above 90mph for reasonable stretches!

The_Rail_WAy

Are you having a giraffe? Working air con, comfy seats, comparatively low engine noise and vibration levels and an overall far comfier journey, plus would be quicker if linespeed is above 90mph for reasonable stretches!

Yeah, thats if you can get a seat. Otherwise overcrowded in standard, with plenty of room in first class!!!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Hmm I suppose. But I'd also say it depended what route you're on. My most frequent journey with TPE is York - Malton. Never crowded, copes well. Liverpool -Manchester - Sheffield has been busy, but not packed, but I imagine it could well be.

me123

Established Member
When I saw the title, I though WS&M were expanding, but i was sad to see ATW 158s. Surely the better option would be for more ATW locomotive-hauled trains than 158s? Get real!

Anyway, the timetable doesn't allow much time for a day trip to London, any time at all for a day trip to Wales and an 8 minute turnaround at Marylebone on a Sunday shall be... interesting...

I see the market, but not with 158s. And it's good to see the Leisure market being the aim for a change, but the timetable doesn't entirely work I'm afraid.

Hopefully loco-hauled... then Shrewsbury/Shropshire will have loco-hauled trains Wrexham-London, Cardiff-Holyhead and Aberystwyth-London! I.e. every line covered through Shrewsbury!

TDK

Established Member
Good idea and all, but....

As has been said:
a)No paths
and
b)No decent traction...
They should do what EMT does with the summer trains to Skeggy....

Just a thought....

Sam

There is a buzz going around that ATW are testing Voyagers that will be hired in from XC to do this route.

TEW

Established Member
There is a buzz going around that ATW are testing Voyagers that will be hired in from XC to do this route.
There is absolutely no way XC could let any Voyagers go on hire, they are all desperately needed.

TDK

Established Member
There is absolutely no way XC could let any Voyagers go on hire, they are all desperately needed.

Voyagers have already done a test run up the Cambrian and the ATW staff have been formally introduced to them. Apparently staff from Mach will work the trains as far as Leamington Spa and then XC staff from there on. Don't forget that ATW and XC are now run by the same company.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Fine and dandy, if the paths are there, which no one is convinced they are. ATW have yet to come to NR with any proposals, and the vehicle change hasnt appeared as yet either.

The original document they produced is riddled with errors. They have one train on a sunday doing Bicester Leamington in something like 17 minutes !!

Status
Not open for further replies.