• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed Melton Parkway Interchange, West Hull

Killingworth

Established Member
East Riding of Yorkshire Council consultation now live online, see; https://consultation.eastriding.gov.uk/s/ProposedMeltonParkwayInterchange/Proposed Melton Parkway Interchange
Proposed Melton Parkway Interchange

footeryclogo.gif

Introduction

A partnership between East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Hull & East Yorkshire (HEY) LEP, Network Rail, National Highways and Wykeland Group have developed outline plans to create a new transport interchange located at Melton on the rail network between the existing stations of Brough and Ferriby

The existing rail stations of Ferriby and Brough experience significant capacity issues at peak times, with wider connectivity issues to the road network rendering access difficult whereas the new 'Melton Interchange' will have direct access off the A63 and deliver:
  • Eastbound and westbound platforms located to the north and south of the existing Hull to Leeds/Doncaster railway line. The platforms will be approximately 130m in length and suitable to accommodate 5-car trains, with the scope for the platforms to be extended by 130m to the east to accommodate 10-car trains in the future.
  • A car park with 497 spaces located to the north of the proposed eastbound platform, including 15 disabled spaces, 18 EV charging spaces and 16 car share spaces (with passive EV charging provision). The standard spaces will measure 2.5m x 4.8m to ensure that they are suitable to accommodate larger cars and provide a higher level of comfort. The car park will also include 7 motorcycle parking spaces and a taxi rank suitable to accommodate up to 6 taxis.
  • Bus interchange with two bus stops to accommodate both scheduled bus services and potential shuttle services to/from local businesses, along with rail replacement services when required.
  • A drop-off loop to accommodate car drop-offs and pick-ups.
  • Pedestrian and cycle access via the proposed access road connecting with Brickyard Lane, and a pedestrian access via the Public Right of Way (PRoW) footpath running to the east of the station.
  • Covered and secure cycle parking in a convenient location near to the platform entrance.
  • The provision of a Network Rail Standard Beacon Enclosed Bridge (with lifts) connecting the two platforms to provide full step-free access.
  • Active travel links to local population centres.
SM000727_Picture_2_update.PNG

At this early stage, the project offers high value for money and this together with the increased potential of future funding opportunities arising from the now cancelled northern leg of HS2, has encouraged partners to progress the project to an ‘investment ready’ stage. This will ensure the region has the best chance to secure funding when opportunities arise via the Government’s ‘Network North’ initiative.

This consultation will seek to establish if the principle of a new transport interchange is supported at this location. The views of the local and regional population and businesses and the existing users of Brough and Ferriby Station need to be gathered and understood as this will feed into further timetable analysis and business case development. Further consultation will be carried out as plans are progressed.

Further Information
This survey can be made available in other languages or formats if required. To request another format, please contact us at:

Tel: (01482) 391614
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Asmo

Am I right to assume that once complete and operational both Brough and North Ferriby stations will close?

Killingworth

Established Member
Am I right to assume that once complete and operational both Brough and North Ferriby stations will close?

Currently all passenger services stop at Brough but not at North Ferriby on the longer distance routes. I doubt the combined stopping pattern has been decided but that long distance role would naturally suit Melton and must be part of the consultation. It would not be safe to nake presumptions this early.

I used to live to the west side of Hull and never once used Paragon, always Brough although North Ferriby was nearer. Melton would have been my choice if the same service were available with good parking and reasonable facilities.

Meerkat

Established Member
The bus stops seem a bit away - why are they further away than the taxi rank?

YorksLad12

Established Member
Where is "North Ferriby" station? I can only see "Ferriby"... ;)

Melton Interchange is much closer to Ferriby than Brough, but both of those stations have lots of housing close by. Ferriby had 41,570 passengers in 2022-23, Brough had 417,312 (more than Birchwood); you might chose to close one and not the other, on those numbers, even if the long-distance traffic moved to Melton Interchange.

Killingworth

Established Member
They'd be fools to close Brough. It's well sited where it is.

Melton would/will surely be too close to Ferriby to justify stopping many trains at both.

Brough has many long distance users coming from the area to the north and west towards Beverley and Market Weighton and probably some from the Hessle area and even south of the Humber bridge. Most would find Melton more convenient than Brough because it's further from the A63 trunk road. Fast trains may do better there.

It will be interesting to discover the outcome of the consultation.

trawler

Where is "North Ferriby" station? I can only see "Ferriby"... ;)

Melton Interchange is much closer to Ferriby than Brough, but both of those stations have lots of housing close by. Ferriby had 41,570 passengers in 2022-23, Brough had 417,312 (more than Birchwood); you might chose to close one and not the other, on those numbers, even if the long-distance traffic moved to Melton Interchange.
Ferriby is North Ferriby but there are two 'Ferribys' North and South but South Ferriby does not have a train station and is on the Southbank of the Humber. North Ferriby station has always been known as Ferriby.

Asmo

Brough Station has a business park on its doorstep and that together with a population of 10,500 should weigh in favour of keeping the station open, particularly for commuter and stopping services.

3RDGEN

The proposed location is on the three track section so unless they plan to remove the loop all westbound trains stopping at Melton Parkway will need to run via the loop with a time penalty. If the loop goes then the Ferriby westbound platform will need to be built out to the current mainline or the station is closed / replaced by the new one, the council plan shows it's going to be around a 1km between the two. Can't see Brough closing but it may lose the London / Manchester services to the new station.

Heron Foods have a site at Melton and currently bus staff in from the Hull area and presumable Amazon will need to do the same so the new station would help.

JKF

Is this near the old smelter site? I did some site investigation work there about 15 years ago, around the time they put the grade-separated junction in on the A63. I have a vague recollection of there being plans for a station even back then, as part of the wider development of the site. Looking at google earth it seems to be mostly industrial development (usual for heavily contaminated areas as acceptable pollution exposure limits are much much lower than housing).

Asmo

Another significant development at Melton West is the Smith and Nephew facility. They are relocating from their existing constrained site in west Hull. A £94m contract has been let for the construction of the manufacturing, research and development facility. They are an international FTSE 100 medical technology company with headquarters in Watford. Good rail connection would have been a significant factor in selecting the site and the new station will certainly help with the existing staff commute.

Last edited:

3RDGEN

Is this near the old smelter site? I did some site investigation work there about 15 years ago, around the time they put the grade-separated junction in on the A63. I have a vague recollection of there being plans for a station even back then, as part of the wider development of the site. Looking at google earth it seems to be mostly industrial development (usual for heavily contaminated areas as acceptable pollution exposure limits are much much lower than housing).
It's just east of the old smelter site, Capper Pass, which was south of the railway, there are some businesses on that side but as you say there's potential land contamination issues. North of the railway is the Wykeland Melton West business park, "https://wykeland.co.uk/our_developments/meltonwest-a63-hull/" which the new station would serve.

If you go to the survey link, "https://consultation.eastriding.gov.uk/s/ProposedMeltonParkwayInterchange/" scroll down and and click next the first page of the survey shows the "notional location" of the new station and you can see the old smelter site.

Killingworth

Established Member
Given that LNER and Hull Trains stop 10 car trains at Brough, and TPE 6, 5 car at Melton may lack ambition?

Bus interchange with services from Beverley, West Hull and South Humberside could be feasible.

HullRailMan

Why would you close either station? Ferriby only has an hourly service anyway so that can stay as it is. Brough acts as a hub for the affluent corridor north to Market Weighton. Even if Melton picks up some passengers based on a larger car park, I don’t see any gain in reducing local connectivity.

Now, next on my wish list would be a parkway station between Cottingham and Beverley by the A1079 bypass…..

Killingworth

Established Member
The Melton site appears to be within a mile of Ferriby but possibly nearer twice the distance by car and not a practical walk. There's very little parking nearby so many current users probably do walk.

If all long distance trains stopped at Melton as well as Brough it would delay them all. If they split half and half it would confuse, but Melton with a 5 car platform is neither one thing or another.

Ken H

On Moderation
In my first Baker rail atlas there was a Melton station that had a * after the name meaning an excursion or works station. It was mentioned in a footnote for one train each way. Something like 'Stops additionally at Melton at {time}'

Is this new station on the same site as the old Melton 'station' or elsewhere? The old halt was at SE969257 and 1 platform can be seen on Google Street View.

3RDGEN

The proposal is for approx 130m platforms so 5 car 80x unit or 6 car 185's will fit fine which covers the mass majority of the services on the route. Only the evening LNER runs as a 9 or 10 car 80x and HT's run a few 10 car services which would use SDO just as they do now at Brough and Howden anyway. It does mention in the proposal there is scope to extend further east by 130m if required for those few longer services but why waste money when there's no need?

mike57

Established Member
I think the problem is going to be long distance services. They are not going to call at both Melton and Brough. So is Brough relegated to a local only service. Brough is not ideally situated and only has about 100 parking spaces, but I can imagine that if Melton were to replace Brough a lot of people would not be happy.

Everybody is going to need road transport to get to Melton, apart from warehouses there is nothing in the immediate area.

Its roughly equidistant between Brough and Ferriby, about 1.5 miles from each, which seems quite close for railways outside city centres.

I am not convinced about the proposals. My question would be will more people use the train as a result, and looking at it I think all that will happen is that some people who use the two adjacent stations would switch to Melton where its more convenient.

Killingworth

Established Member
Current users at Brough come from all directions. According to Google maps it would take 14 minutes from my old home and potentially 9 to the Melton site. Parking convenience might be better at Melton too.

For me Melton would clearly have been more convenient. For either car would be the only practucal way to get there. The actual services and frequencies would be the deciding factor.

My son lived for a short time in Brough, within walking distance. Melton would not have suited him at all.

mike57

Established Member
Would stopping at Brough and Melton be a timetable problem?
Probably not for local services, but for long distance services that currenly call Hull - Brough - Goole, Howden or Selby and reverse workings you wouldn't want 2 stops with 2 miles.

Currently Brough has 5 - 6tph each way. Manchester, Doncaster/Sheffield(fast) and London (every other hour) will be fast between Brough and Hull. York and Halifax tend to be skip stops, but usually miss Hessle and Ferriby, a bit of a mix, and only the hourly Doncaster service is all stations. During the day Hessle and Ferriby are 1tph.

As I said earlier its going to be either Brough or Melton. Personally I think the proposals need further scrutiny, as I am not sure that it will encourage people to leave the car at home, particularly as there is no residential stuff within walking distance of the proposed station. Priory Park also offers a Park and Ride option to Hull city centre via bus.

Meerkat

Established Member
Probably not for local services, but for long distance services that currenly call Hull - Brough - Goole, Howden or Selby and reverse workings you wouldn't want 2 stops with 2 miles.

Currently Brough has 5 - 6tph each way. Manchester, Doncaster/Sheffield(fast) and London (every other hour) will be fast between Brough and Hull. York and Halifax tend to be skip stops, but usually miss Hessle and Ferriby, a bit of a mix, and only the hourly Doncaster service is all stations. During the day Hessle and Ferriby are 1tph.

As I said earlier its going to be either Brough or Melton. Personally I think the proposals need further scrutiny, as I am not sure that it will encourage people to leave the car at home, particularly as there is no residential stuff within walking distance of the proposed station. Priory Park also offers a Park and Ride option to Hull city centre via bus.
If it’s not a timetable issue, why wouldn’t they serve both - will A few extra minutes really take off more revenue than losing Brough?

mike57

Established Member
If it’s not a timetable issue, why wouldn’t they serve both - will A few extra minutes really take off more revenue than losing Brough?
In my mind it's a case of Melton not adding much revenue. The problem with 'a few extra minutes' is that everytime you add a stop to a fast service its another few minutes. Inter City service need to be that, Inter City, traditionally Brough is the west Hull call, if you change that its OK but spending a lot of money to change it does seem a bit pointless, location wise Brough isn't ideal, but is it that bad that it needs a multi million pound new station.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Forgetting the large car park for a moment; what sort of general frequency are we expecting for Melton, if neither Ferriby nor Brough close? If the station is primarily to get staff to/from work, would you expect the long(er)-distance service to call there?

Killingworth

Established Member
Forgetting the large car park for a moment; what sort of general frequency are we expecting for Melton, if neither Ferriby nor Brough close? If the station is primarily to get staff to/from work, would you expect the long(er)-distance service to call there?
The implication is that Brough's long distance trains would ultimately all stop at Melton, almost certainly instead of at Brough. The clue is provision to extend platforms to 10 coach length.
Eastbound and westbound platforms located to the north and south of the existing Hull to Leeds/Doncaster railway line. The platforms will be approximately 130m in length and suitable to accommodate 5-car trains, with the scope for the platforms to be extended by 130m to the east to accommodate 10-car trains in the future.

mike57

Established Member
I cant see any cost estimates amongst the East Riding publicity, what is a station on this scale likely to cost?

I still remain to be convinced...

Asmo

On the subject of extended platforms, Hull Trains are now running a number of services a week Wednesday through to Sunday comprising 10 coaches due to growth in passenger numbers (Hull Trains website and RTT). Given the drive for train companies running services on the ECML to increase passenger densities for available paths by increasing train lengths it seems likely that Hull Trains will further increase the number of 10 coach services it provides to cope with projected passenger growth. Whilst SDO’s might be a solution for smaller stations would it not be sensible to provide 260m length platforms at the onset for Melton as a parkway interchange?