• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed waiting shelter at Lancaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WAB

Mrs Sandra Dean​

Comment submitted date: Sat 04 Mar 2023​

A horrendous eyesore. Would spoil my morning dog walk. My Bichon Frisé is very particular with her toilet habits - she doesnt deal well with change and I fear this addition would constipate her frightfully.
:lol:

Established Member
Lancaster is my local station and I love it!

There’s a proposal for a new waiting shelter and I think it looks terrible!

Very bog standard and, I guess, not needed?

What do you think?
I truly repulsive structure, certainly not in keeping with the original Victorian stone station building.

I suggest that if you live within the City of Lancaster council area, making an objection at once.

The last thing the railway needs is another substandard bus shelter, especially not under an existing canopy where it will serve no purpose.
I can't find any image on the proposal notice.
It is one of the related documents. The image shows the bus shelter that was recently installed at Warrington Bank Quay, as a cheaper alternative to fixing the roof of the Victorian waiting room which collapsed in bad recent bad weather.

A heated, brick and mortar structure replaced with a metal skeleton…

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Looks fairly standard to me. I'm sure I've seen them about elsewhere. As long as they're not knocking down anything already there, I'm not to fussed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looks fairly standard to me. I'm sure I've seen them about elsewhere. As long as they're not knocking down anything already there, I'm not to fussed.
They’re all over the south. Been fitting them for about 10 years or more. Standard kits of modular parts, I expect they can vary the length depending on location.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
It's Macemain Amstad's 'Paragon' anti-vandal shelter.

How utterly hideous. I can see that a shelter at that end is useful as Coach A is a long way down from the building, but at least build something in keeping!

Always wondered what model they were. East Midlands have plenty of them. They are robust if they are not architecturally splendid or historic looking.

Thanks everybody for replying.

I’m going to object on the grounds that it looks terrible. Lancaster is a historic station and this may be the first step to ridding it of its historical charm.

I guess Avanti chose it because it’s cheap. Anti vandal shelters in unmanned places and not nice places I understand but not at a lovely, manned station like Lancaster where the staff are lovely.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
absolutely - seems a storm in a tea cup! Seems identical to many others on WCML stations. There is one at Bletchley for instance. They don't look great but they are welcome in the cold and the wet.

I wonder if the same people will be the ones whining when they are wet and cold waiting for a train!

I guess Avanti chose it because it’s cheap. Anti vandal shelters in unmanned places and not nice places I understand but not at a lovely, manned station like Lancaster where the staff are lovely.
OK: what would you prefer instead and how will it be paid for?

Iskra

Established Member
I don't think it looks too bad; it's a fairly standard design that works well in many locations. What I would question is why anyone thinks it is necessary when there is a canopy (and bridge) over most of the island platform anyway? It's more out of place, than ugly.

Parallel

Established Member
It's Macemain Amstad's 'Paragon' anti-vandal shelter.

These 'anti-vandal' shelters are very popular over the GWR and TfW networks, often with the glass panes kicked out!

They're OK for unstaffed stations that otherwise have nothing, but surely a fully enclosed waiting room pod like they have at Chippenham would be a better option for Lancaster station.

SouthernR

So that's why the Milepost 0 has been removed.

Is there a hidden agenda? The drawing is titled "Platform 5/6" (should be "4/5").

Established Member
They've just stuck one of them at the north end of Stockport station. Looks like a scruffy hovel.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Preston is my local station when I am in the UK so I don’t have skin in the game but it is fairly local. Lancaster Castle becomes Lancaster boxy steel shed. Not aesthetically pleasing at all.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If we're going on asthetics, my favourite design for such additional shelters would be the wooden ones at Manchester Oxford road. But I'll take anything if its peeing down.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Worth pointing out to people saying it'll ruin the historic ambience that the shelter will be north of the road bridge and therefore not really within the station building/canopy area. It's also rather less intrusive than, say, the OLE. But nobody's suggesting we rip all the electrification out.

LowLevel

Established Member
absolutely - seems a storm in a tea cup! Seems identical to many others on WCML stations. There is one at Bletchley for instance. They don't look great but they are welcome in the cold and the wet.

I wonder if the same people will be the ones whining when they are wet and cold waiting for a train!

OK: what would you prefer instead and how will it be paid for?
EMR have started installing a fairly substantial looking glass structure that even has fake dagger boards on it in certain settings, one replaced the wooden LNER shelter that was demolished in the recent station improvements at Spalding with few complaints. I'll try and find a photo.

zwk500

Veteran Member
EMR have started installing a fairly substantial looking glass structure that even has fake dagger boards on it in certain settings, one replaced the wooden LNER shelter that was demolished in the recent station improvements at Spalding with few complaints. I'll try and find a photo.
fake dagger boards sounds like a horrible pastiche, and in any event wouldn't be appropriate at Lancaster with it's quite boxy girder truss canopies and flat edges.

For context, the space where the shelter is proposed if right next to a 4/5m tall OLE stanchion and to the north of the West St overbridge, far away from the platform buildings. https://www.google.com/maps/@54.049...-no-pi-0-ya209.45113-ro-0-fo100!7i9484!8i4742

LowLevel

Established Member

Here is the one at Spalding. OK, it's not the prettiest, but considering it is in a fairly historic station environment with few newer structures around it doesn't look too awful. At least it is sort of building shaped and it does keep the weather off.

zwk500

Veteran Member

Here is the one at Spalding. OK, it's not the prettiest, but considering it is in a fairly historic station environment with few newer structures around it doesn't look too awful. At least it is sort of building shaped and it does keep the weather off.
My personal opinion is that in isolation it looks horrible. And quite a bit worse than what is proposed for Lancaster. The modern shelters don't look bad on isolated sections of platform (I'd never suggest installing one right next to a beautiful stone building), but the faux daggerboards on an isolated otherwise totally modern shelter just look like a mockery.

Can understand that some people are happier with that 'nod' to history though.

Oxfordblues

If it's cold I usually huddle in the Upside Refreshment Room (or preferably the real-ale Tite & Locke on the downside)

scrapy

Established Member
The one Merseyrail put in at Southport, on platforms 5/6. The shelter is under the station roof always makes me laugh as it seems completely pointless. Of it was fully enclosed and heated, I'd understand it but it faces the open side of the station and gets all the wind.

Firstly, I’d like to say thank you everybody for your replies, this part of the internet is wonderful!

Secondly I’d like to say Lancaster is my local station and is also wonderful. The staff are great!

To the person who asked me what I’d like - well, like the fellow posted about Oxford Road - something that fits! This would not be allowed at Oxford Road so why Lancaster?!? For £39,000 they could build a stone shelter which would look AMAZING

I get why companies do this but surely, for heritage stations, they should try to fit in?!?!?

Lancaster is so wonderful and with Eden coming soon I am so excited! This shelter just makes me sad.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
To the person who asked me what I’d like - well, like the fellow posted about Oxford Road - something that fits! This would not be allowed at Oxford Road so why Lancaster?!? For £39,000 they could build a stone shelter which would look AMAZING

I get why companies do this but surely, for heritage stations, they should try to fit in?!?!?
The difference between the two stations is that Oxford Road's buildings have listed status meaning alterations/additions have to be sympathetic to the original and receive the requisite approval. You may consider Lancaster to be a heritage station but the fact that the main buildings are stone-built does not automatically mean they have listed status. In fact the main building on the west side of the station and the footbridge are listed but not the rest of the station.

In practice the vast majority of our rail network dates back to the Victorian era but that doesn't mean that modernisation can't sweep away old buildings: check the history of London Euston or Birmingham New Street. Equally Grade One structures can still receive significant alterations: see St Pancras or Kings Cross. The network evolves continuously; in this case it has presumably been decided that a waiting shelter was needed for passengers intending to board the rearmost coaches of London trains. Surely that is putting the paying customer first while keeping expenditure at a reasonable level. In fact under the current regime of DfT micro-management cost-control is unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.