• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prosecution Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

New user to this forum so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I travelled on a Northern route a few weeks ago, as i was running late i didn't have a chance to buy a ticket at my departing station and there was no conductor on the train.

When i arrived at the final station, i queued to buy a ticket as there was manned gates. Stupidly, i decided to be clever and stated i got on at a station further down the line than my real departure station, unfortunately i'd forgotten this station had manned gates itself, what a mistake just to save on a few pennies (how silly i feel now with hindsight). A ticket enforcement officer clocked me straight away and pulled me to one side.

On that day i was extremely hungover and wasn't in the best of states in all honestly. The enforcement officer asked me of me true departure station, and the second mistake on that day was me telling another fib and stating i got on a station closer to where i bought the ticket from. I must say, i felt a bit intimidated and on the stop coupled with being seriously rough stopped my brain making rational decisions.

As i have now had my Debt, Recovery and Prosecution letter through. I'm in somewhat of a minor panic, as i have never had any dealings or issues with the law prior. I want to get this issue closed as soon and as easily as possible.

What i would like some advice on is, with the evidence i can put forward. Do i stick with my original story, and pray they don't look any further into it. Or admit that i told 2 porkies that day, explain that i didnt get on at either station specified and that i am extremely remorseful and hope they see that me admitting my guilt in a positive way.

As mentioned, any advice and criticism for my stupidity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
A Stupid Traveller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Do i stick with my original story, and pray they don't look any further into it. Or admit that i told 2 porkies that day, explain that i didnt get on at either station specified and that i am extremely remorseful and hope they see that me admitting my guilt in a positive way.
The question you're asking is if you want to potentially face prosecution for one offence or two.

The question you're asking is if you want to potentially face prosecution for one offence or two.
In its essence yes i guess that's what it is. Just wondering whether i may work in my benefit admitting it, in the case that they didn't already know and looking favourably at that. Hopeful i know

najaB

Veteran Member
Only you know your sense of morality and appetite for risk, but if I was in your shoes I would be as honest and truthful as possible.

Nick66

I know it is never good to pass judgement but really, not having time to buy a ticket because you were running late (read p****d) then telling lies twice? In my experience rail staff are human beings and will listen to genuine stories but this sounds like a classic case of urine extraction. I’m sure the more legally trained members will give you some advice if they consider it ethical but I would say just tell the truth and hope they offer a settlement

I know it is never good to pass judgement but really, not having time to buy a ticket because you were running late (read p****d) then telling lies twice? In my experience rail staff are human beings and will listen to genuine stories but this sounds like a classic case of urine extraction. I’m sure the more legally trained members will give you some advice if they consider it ethical but I would say just tell the truth and hope they offer a settlement
Hi Nick, I’ve been berating myself ever since it happened but what’s done is done now. I can only really say I was on the spot with the enforcing officer and with being rough / still aled made a poor decision which has led to much worry. Appreciate the comments though mate

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
What i would like some advice on is, with the evidence i can put forward. Do i stick with my original story, and pray they don't look any further into it. Or admit that i told 2 porkies that day, explain that i didnt get on at either station specified and that i am extremely remorseful and hope they see that me admitting my guilt in a positive way.

To use a well-known phrase, the first rule of politics is that when you are in a hole, stop digging.

This isn't politics, but the advice is still good. Not only would it be morally wrong of us to suggest that you carry on lying, but it would also be bad in practice. If your case goes to court, and you persist in your lie, that will be perjury - which is a criminal offence itself, and could (in theory) land you in prison. If at court you stopped lying, you would not be in a good position to get sympathy from the court and a low end penalty.

So stop lying. Write to the railway and tell them the truth. (More formally - I really think that you should disclose your lie - otherwise you continue to lie by omitting to put things right.)

As to whether you can resolve matters before it goes to court - well, there's no harm in trying. Write to the railway briefly, courteously and apologetically, stating
- all the facts,
- that you know what you did was wrong,
- that you have learnt your lesson and will not do it again
- that you would be grateful if the railway would agree to settle out of court for the train fare and any costs that the railway has incurred.

The costs that the railway has incurred will not be small - maybe some hundreds of pounds. But this will probably be less than any punishment handed down by a court.

A letter may not work. So you may have to go to court and see if the prosecutor will negotiate before going into court.

Even that may not work. You may be looking at a fine. But rest assured - unless this is part of a substantial pattern of offending, you will not be going to prison.

Just a bit of a follow up to this. I took the advice from all those who kindly advised on this matter and sent an apology letter to Northern, detailing how sorry and embarrassed i was at what i'd done, and i admitted i gave false information to the ticket enforcement officer who collared me. I emphasised how i would be grateful to setter the matter out of court and today received a fixed penalty notice through the post for 80 pounds plus 3 pounds for the fare evasion. I have to say i'm hugely relieved at this, and would like to say thanks to those who replied and helped me with this issue.

Master29

Established Member
Just a bit of a follow up to this. I took the advice from all those who kindly advised on this matter and sent an apology letter to Northern, detailing how sorry and embarrassed i was at what i'd done, and i admitted i gave false information to the ticket enforcement officer who collared me. I emphasised how i would be grateful to setter the matter out of court and today received a fixed penalty notice through the post for 80 pounds plus 3 pounds for the fare evasion. I have to say i'm hugely relieved at this, and would like to say thanks to those who replied and helped me with this issue.

I would say that`s a good result considering. Best put it down to experience now. My daughter had a similar outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.