• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prosecution

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd expect a letter within a couple from Southeastern, but as noted above it can vary.

In the meantime, while I appreciate this is easier said than done, try and put the matter to the back of your mind and get on with your life.

lholden

I just received this letter, would my best action be to apologise?

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpeg
    IMG_5623.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 100

Veteran Member
I just received this letter, would my best action be to apologise?
Yes. The advice upthread from Hadders is still good.(#19), but use your own words.

If you want to post a draft for comment, please feel free.

lholden

Dear members of staff of Southeastern Railway,

On the 23rd of April 2024 , I made a terrible error of judgement to not buy a ticket for my journey from St Mary cray to Meopham. It was simply a mistake as the barriers where open and i got dropped into work in the morning which is when i normally purchase a ticket.

I sincerely apologize for my behavior as this is unacceptable and i know now that it goes against the train byelaws act.

In order to demonstrate my determination of not letting it happen again, i have purchased a monthly season ticket for the whole of my journey.

I wish to keep this outside of court and plea with you to allow me a settlement as a criminal conviction will ruin my future career opportunities. I will be grateful if you allow me to pay for my ticket and the fine also any admin fees that may have accumulated whilst looking into this case, i cannot give back the time that it has taken but i hope this settlement would help appease that.

There are no excuses for my behavior. I hope you could see that I have learned my lessons and I will ensure this will never happen again no matter the circumstances.
Your sincerely

how's this?

notmyrealname

Hi. I assume this is your draft letter to Southeastern?

It could be me but your first paragraph seems to contradict itself. You say you made a terrible error of judgement and then in the next sentence you say it was simply a mistake.

lholden

Yeah that makes sense actually

On the 23rd of April 2024 , I made a mistake and did not buy a ticket for my journey from St Mary cray to Meopham. It was simply an accident as the barriers where open and i got dropped into work in the morning which is when i normally purchase a ticket.

I sincerely apologise for my behavior as this is unacceptable and i know now that it goes against the train byelaws act.

In order to demonstrate my determination of not letting this situation happen again, i have purchased a monthly season ticket for my morning commute.

I wish to keep this outside of court and plea with you to allow me a settlement as a criminal conviction will ruin my future career opportunities. I will be grateful if you allow me to pay for my ticket and the fine also any admin fees that may have accumulated whilst looking into this case, i cannot give back the time that it has taken but i hope this settlement would help appease that.

There are no excuses for my behavior. I hope you could see that I have learned my lessons and I will ensure this will never happen again no matter the circumstances.
Your sincerely

Last edited:

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Yeah that makes sense actually

On the 23rd of April 2024 , I made a mistake and did not buy a ticket for my journey from St Mary cray Cray to Meopham. It was simply an accident as the barriers where open and i I got dropped into work in the morning which is when i I normally purchase a ticket.

I sincerely apologise for my behavior behaviour as this is unacceptable and i I know now that it goes against the train byelaws act. railway byelaws.

In order to demonstrate my determination of not letting this situation happen again, i have purchased a monthly season ticket for my morning commute.

I wish to keep this outside of court and plea with you to allow me a settlement as a criminal conviction will ruin my future career opportunities. I will be grateful if you allow me to pay for my ticket and the fine also any admin fees that may have accumulated whilst looking into this case, i I cannot give back the time that it has taken but i I hope this settlement would help appease that.

There are no excuses for my behavior. behaviour. I hope you could can see that I have learned my lessons and I will ensure this will never happen again no matter the circumstances.
Your Yours sincerely
I know I may be being a bit fussy, but I've done some proofreading for you to sort out some spellings and capitalisation. The main thing is that I've changed the description of the railway byelaws to something that the railway will be more familiar with.

Fermiboson

The first paragraph does not make sense - I’m sure there’s a story there, but using the “glance test” where I scan through your letter as quickly as possible (which is what the TOC staff will do because they receive hundreds of such letters every day) it just reads as a poorly construed excuse. I would cut it down to the facts - “On the 23rd I did not buy a ticket for my journey from xx to xx”.

Not strictly necessary, but I think shows sincerity - you could elaborate on how the behaviour is unacceptable, i.e. fare evasion costs the taxpayer millions of £s every year, and you’re sorry to have contributed to that, etc. - and also it’s the Railway Byelaws, forum members may consider “train” byelaws an Americanism!

Slight change of wording in the fourth paragraph - “I would be very grateful to be given the opportunity to work with the railway company to settle this matter out of court” - avoids the appearance of begging, and remains polite.

Cut the part about future career opportunities - they have no need to care.

lholden

I know I may be being a bit fussy, but I've done some proofreading for you to sort out some spellings and capitalisation. The main thing is that I've changed the description of the railway byelaws to something that the railway will be more familiar with.
great thanks a lot mate, i am hella dyslexic so find spelling very difficult :D

Should i attach my receipt for the monthly ticket to the letter as proof?

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Should i attach my receipt for the monthly ticket to the letter as proof?
No harm in that.

However, saying you made a mistake and had an accident isn't really true. Call it an error of judgement if you want, but you knew - I hope - that you are supposed to buy a ticket :)

lholden

Just got a reply and its a 150 quid fine plus the fare as its my first offence. Would like to say thank you to everyone that helped with my case :D

Think buying the monthly must have helped

Veteran Member
Just got a reply and its a 150 quid fine plus the fare as its my first offence. Would like to say thank you to everyone that helped with my case :D

Think buying the monthly must have helped
Decent result, though £150 for admin is on the high side. Thanks for the feedback.