• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Provides announcements within 2 minutes when the train comes to a stop between statio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHogan

New ORR report at http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...-up-annual-rail-consumer-report-june-2016.pdf claims that TOCs have all instructed their traincrew to make announcements within two minutes of trains coming to a stand between stations. This surprised me as I've seen no evidence of this; on a Pendolino recently delayed coming out of Euston by a train failure, it was a full twenty minutes before the Train Manager told the passengers anything. I'd be interested to know if traincrew have been instructed in this way and does this instruction also include announcements outside stations (e.g. Proof House when 5 plus mins waits are the norm). What about DOO services where the drivers might well have more important things to do?

Most TOCs claiming to the ORR that this started last year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Nothing new for me, it's been SWT policy for years for the guard to make an announcement within two minutes if the train stops out of course.

SPADTrap

Established Member
As far as I know my TOC has a similar policy although I feel pretty stupid and pointless saying 'we're at a red, I don't know why yet but I'll find out'. I prefer to stop at the red and speak to the signaller first, although inevitably this is when you'll end up on the phone for a while thus rendering making a PA impossible (same handset on some of ours!) which can mean the passengers waiting for a PA. Every time I've stuck to the policy I've got mid announcement and the signal cycles through its aspects to green..! Don't get me started on the ballast operated signals either.

Last edited:

BHXDMT

New ORR report at http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf...-up-annual-rail-consumer-report-june-2016.pdf claims that TOCs have all instructed their traincrew to make announcements within two minutes of trains coming to a stand between stations. I'd be interested to know if traincrew have been instructed in this way and does this instruction also include announcements outside stations (e.g. Proof House when 5 plus mins waits are the norm). What about DOO services where the drivers might well have more important things to do?

Most TOCs claiming to the ORR that this started last year.

Not aware of having received any specific instructions on this at my TOC, we've always been told to do it out of courtesy should we be stood for a few minutes (but I know not everyone does for short delays). Generally there's not a great deal more that can be said than "we're at a red signal" which isn't overly helpful but that's all we know... unless there's a problem and we later get specifics.

If I'm stood at e.g. Proof House for more than a few minutes I will generally announce we're awaiting the route into New Street. Same outside other major stations like Wolverhampton.

Last edited:

redbutton

I drive DOO and have been instructed to make frequent announcements if stopped for more than two minutes. In my experience, even if there's nothing new to say, it helps remind the passengers that I'm still in control and we really will move as soon as we're able to.

Even if it's just a red signal and I don't know the exact cause, I'll usually mention the most likely cause (e.g. following another train or a train crossing a junction ahead) and how long that usually takes. People have told me they appreciate that.

Last edited:

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
On the underground out policy is stopped between stations we
Must make a os before 30 seconds then every 3 minutes after that. To reassure the passengers like the person above. I will always do a pa straight away after wheels have stopped explaining we are held at a red signal and should be moving shortly. That then gives me enough time to contact a signaller to find out why. Unless I can see a train ahead in the distance. It's always the same though I press the call button on the radio for the signaller the second I press it the magic button turns the signals to green lol

Flamingo

Established Member
Been policy for quite a while. Not always feasible, depending on where I am on the train (the PA points on HST's can be few and far between) and what I'm doing at the time, but it's a good target to aim for...

Sheepy1209

This really stood out for me on a recent London trip using the Underground - those short announcements from the driver ease people's nerves and, in my view, make the system feel more 'human'. Far more useful than automated messages telling you how to use the stairs! (I'm talking to GWR....)

It does remind me of the time on the tube back in the eighties when we'd been stopped in a tunnel for a few minutes. Driver makes an announcement along the lines of: "We're waiting at a red signal. I'm sorry, I don't know why, I'm completely in the dark."

axlecounter

On the underground out policy is stopped between stations we
Must make a os before 30 seconds then every 3 minutes after that. To reassure the passengers like the person above. I will always do a pa straight away after wheels have stopped explaining we are held at a red signal and should be moving shortly. That then gives me enough time to contact a signaller to find out why. Unless I can see a train ahead in the distance. It's always the same though I press the call button on the radio for the signaller the second I press it the magic button turns the signals to green lol

I can confirm the radio button that turns signals to green is a feature in Switzerland and Italy too. <D

People that are on a train are "trapped" in it until the next station. It is cool to tell them that everything's ok when stopped at a signal

We would all like to hear an announcement when an elevator stops for no reason, don't we?

AM9

Veteran Member
How about a train that is held outside a station because it is 5 minutes early. Passengers can see the time and (should) know when it is due to arrive, especially at its last stop.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This really stood out for me on a recent London trip using the Underground - those short announcements from the driver ease people's nerves and, in my view, make the system feel more 'human'.

+1 to that. Some people might be worrying that we might have stopped because the driver is ill or there is some problem with the train, closely followed by worries about being trapped in a tunnel and how they will get out. Even as a passenger aware of the principle of end door evacuation, I sincerely hope it never happens to me. The information that it is just a red signal establishes that it is probably a routine occurrence and the train will move within a few seconds, and the fact the announcement has been made suggests that if the reason turns out to be more serious the driver will continue to keep us informed.

The same applies, though not quite so strongly, to unexected stops on the main line.

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
How about a train that is held outside a station because it is 5 minutes early. Passengers can see the time and (should) know when it is due to arrive, especially at its last stop.

Or even earlier...

10-15 minutes isn't unusual sitting staring at the derelict garages outside Haymarket isn't that unusual.

I've often wished the Virgin would stop to set-down at Wester Hailes. Could grab a fast black and be at Edinburgh Park in 10 minutes and catch an earlier connection.

D1009

Established Member
I'm sure I recall a journey on the Bakerloo quite recently where a driver made an announcement concerning disruption on another line while on the move between stations. Is this strictly within the rules, as I would have thought it a bit of a distraction.

Monty

Established Member

Personally, if we are held outside a station or in a platform because we are early I will make a quick announcement to keep passengers informed that we are running ahead of schedule and there will be some dwell time. Haslemere is a good example of this, where the stoppers to Portsmouth are held for ten minutes to let the fast services pass. Can never hurt to keep the passengers informed that we may be hanging about for a while and that it won't affect punctuality.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure I recall a journey on the Bakerloo quite recently where a driver made an announcement concerning disruption on another line while on the move between stations. Is this strictly within the rules, as I would have thought it a bit of a distraction.

There's nothing wrong with using the PA whilst the train is moving.

chris11256

I've had this on the tube many times, mainly status announcement.

I remember an announcement on c2c a few weeks ago. The DLR was suspended and my train was passing Upminster. Driver made an announcement warning people that DLR from Limehouse was suspended.

The main problem I find is not drivers making announcements, its being able to understand them. Often they mumble so quietly I can't hear a word thats being said.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
(...) while on the move between stations. Is this strictly within the rules, as I would have thought it a bit of a distraction.

There's nothing wrong with using the PA whilst the train is moving.

I believe it has been mentioned on here before that on some TOC's it is against company policy. The PA can be a distraction so many will not use it whilst moving; especially on some units where it would need a 3rd hand.

The main problem I find is not drivers making announcements, its being able to understand them. Often they mumble so quietly I can't hear a word thats being said.

Are they mumbling or is it more a question of the volume and quality of the PA ?

philthetube

Established Member

It is done at the drivers discretion, it is not required and should only be done by a driver if and when he feels comfortable doing it. It was interesting to hear that Chris Evans found it very difficult to talk and drive while filming top gear, proveing that not everyone is capable of passing on information while driving. For that reason it should not be required of drivers to make pa's while on the move

Flamingo

Established Member
I always make an announcement if we are going to be a long time at a station due to timings (Reading on a Sunday, usually).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Or even earlier...

10-15 minutes isn't unusual sitting staring at the derelict garages outside Haymarket isn't that unusual.

I've often wished the Virgin would stop to set-down at Wester Hailes. Could grab a fast black and be at Edinburgh Park in 10 minutes and catch an earlier connection.

The number of services I've seen depart Haymarket bound for Edinburgh only "early" is quite a lot, I guess it's due to the high frequency of services which makes the station staff try and clear the terminators as fast as possible

Similar to Vauxhall, Waterloo East or London Bridge on inbound workings.

For the 159s from Salisbury which normally sits outside Waterloo for a good few minutes if they arrive early, it's around half and half if the guard makes an announcement about waiting for the platform to become clear

Master29

Established Member
I suppose it`s not always possible for the poor TM who may have to run around a crowded train, find out exactly what is going on and communicate this to everyone all in a space of just 2 minutes. He`d need to be either Clark Kent or Usain Bolt to achieve this.

Flamingo

Established Member
I suppose it`s not always possible for the poor TM who may have to run around a crowded train, find out exactly what is going on and communicate this to everyone all in a space of just 2 minutes. He`d need to be either Clark Kent or Usain Bolt to achieve this.
And we're all incredibly good-looking :lol:

(I'm just glad there isn't a broom on board as well...)

southern442

Established Member
This surprised me as I've seen no evidence of this; on a Pendolino recently delayed coming out of Euston by a train failure, it was a full twenty minutes before the Train Manager told the passengers anything.

Hey, at least you got an announcement! I've been delayed for over 20 minutes on Southern trains more than twice where NO information of any sort has been given on train or at the station. Even if the guard or driver doesn't know anything, it's good to have communication to the passengers.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Even if the guard or driver doesn't know anything, it's good to have communication to the passengers.

Shouldn't they have contacted or been contacted by their control and/or the signaler by the time a train has been brought to a stand at a red for 20mins+?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Firstly to all you drivers and guards but esp those on tube or doo services your info and help is appreciated please keep it up even if the light goes green whilst talking.

Quite surprised that during refurbs or on new stock a wireless system, be it a simple radio mic for the PA or a fancy wireless coms system powered by the TMS isnt used. Radio mics are and have been widely used by everyone from church ministers to mobile DJs for years now and Im sure a startreck esk mic and headset for guards on modern stock would help with everything from finding out and speeking to someone who couldnt work the door in a universal bog to finding out from the driver why the train has stopped and then instantly communicating this to pax

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Whenever that happens when I am travelling the staff usually make an announcement to that effect (i.e. We are slightly early and so waiting for a free platform etc).

Remember not everyone does know the arrival time, and even when they do trains arriving early and being allowed into platforms does happen if the station is quiet / has the required platform free.

Status
Not open for further replies.