• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Provisional Prosecution letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

random_guy1

So I can be honest and say that I did decide to take a train to Abbeywood station knowing that I didn't have money or a ticket to travel to this destination. I only done this because I was innocently going to meet up a friend over there where we spontaneously planned to meet up as I was out already.

As I got to the station I got caught by some inspectors at the gate who asked if I had a ticket & as you know I didn't have. So I was asked if I was able to pay the £20 fine on the spot but at that particular day, money was an issue for me as I was not getting paid until the following week. So I let the inspector know that I had no money on me either.

I was then asked to give him my detail; My name, address etc. I honestly and calmly gave my details to the inspector with no hesitation or resistance what so ever. The only thing was that I gave me my honest existing address that I stay for university as that is where I have been staying for the past 2 years, so I thought it would be better to give them that address instead just incase they do send me any letter after, I would be able to receive it a lot easier, but as the inspector was typing the details down he saw that I already had an address in the system which was the one for London which I calmly admitted that yea that is the case & that I gave him my uni address instead since that is where I have been staying recently.

At the end he still put down address that was on the system where I never tried to resist him from doing and then gave me an mg11. I was told that southeastern will get back to me on me potentially paying a fine between £20 -£1000. At this point I was a bit confused because this is the first time I have ever received an mg11 and would have to wait for a response on the fine I would have to pay, because the last time I got caught for bumping, which was about 2-3 years ago, the only thing I got out of it was a receipt to pay a fine which was printed within the next 28 days

Now that I have received the letter of response it says that the matter has been provisionally authorised for prosecution where I should fill a section at the bottom and make any further comments at the back if I would like?

So at this point I am very confused with how far this matter has escalated like this, does this mean that I could be prosecuted & if so what could be the chances of the result in any case please?..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Raghad

So I can be honest and say that I did decide to take a train to Abbeywood station knowing that I didn't have money or a ticket to travel to this destination. I only done this because I was innocently going to meet up a friend over there where we spontaneously planned to meet up as I was out already.

As I got to the station I got caught by some inspectors at the gate who asked if I had a ticket & as you know I didn't have. So I was asked if I was able to pay the £20 fine on the spot but at that particular day, money was an issue for me as I was not getting paid until the following week. So I let the inspector know that I had no money on me either.

I was then asked to give him my detail; My name, address etc. I honestly and calmly gave my details to the inspector with no hesitation or resistance what so ever. The only thing was that I gave me my honest existing address that I stay for university as that is where I have been staying for the past 2 years, so I thought it would be better to give them that address instead just incase they do send me any letter after, I would be able to receive it a lot easier, but as the inspector was typing the details down he saw that I already had an address in the system which was the one for London which I calmly admitted that yea that is the case & that I gave him my uni address instead since that is where I have been staying recently.

At the end he still put down address that was on the system where I never tried to resist him from doing and then gave me an mg11. I was told that southeastern will get back to me on me potentially paying a fine between £20 -£1000. At this point I was a bit confused because this is the first time I have ever received an mg11 and would have to wait for a response on the fine I would have to pay, because the last time I got caught for bumping, which was about 2-3 years ago, the only thing I got out of it was a receipt to pay a fine which was printed within the next 28 days

Now that I have received the letter of response it says that the matter has been provisionally authorised for prosecution where I should fill a section at the bottom and make any further comments at the back if I would like?

So at this point I am very confused with how far this matter has escalated like this, does this mean that I could be prosecuted & if so what could be the chances of the result in any case please?..
Hi could you please tell me what was the outcome of your issue? I was issued with mG11 and I’m really worried

najaB

Veteran Member
By your own admission you attempted to travel by train with the intent not to pay your fare.

This is a clear cut breach of the Regulation of Railways Act Section 5 (3). If convicted you face a potential fine of up to £1000.

Your narrative doesn't illuminate any extenuating circumstances so really you'll need to throw yourself at the TOC's mercy and hope that you can reach a settlement.

najaB

Veteran Member
Hi could you please tell me what was the outcome of your issue? I was issued with mG11 and I’m really worried
Your case is very different to the OP's so I don't think there is much point in drawing a comparison.

furlong

Established Member
Well you could write back and apologise, say you've learned your lesson (but have you?) and won't travel without a ticket again (will you not?) and offer to pay the fare that you still owe and the costs they've incurred in dealing you (if they agree, they'll tell you how much this is, typically around £100). As you were already on their system, you might need to think how to convince them you'll never do it again - they are less likely to settle out-of-court with people who've been caught before.

random_guy1

Well you could write back and apologise, say you've learned your lesson (but have you?) and won't travel without a ticket again (will you not?) and offer to pay the fare that you still owe and the costs they've incurred in dealing you (if they agree, they'll tell you how much this is, typically around £100). As you were already on their system, you might need to think how to convince them you'll never do it again - they are less likely to settle out-of-court with people who've been caught before.
Okay if thats the best option I know I'm willing to pay the fine either way & I don't usually do this as I noticed the last time I did do this & got caught was about 2-3 years ago

Western Sunset

Established Member
"The last time I did do this & got caught......." implies something more than just an odd lapse in not purchasing a ticket to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.